Goods & Services that Have Risen in Price Due to The Carbon Tax

Who is/are the utility provider(s)?

I'm not sure, the bills are kept with the strata manager and only available to view at the AGM, I don't get a copy sent out. The proposed budget details it as electricty expense, gas expense, doesn't list the provider. The letter from the utility provider was read to the strata group and displayed at the last AGM but I didn't take note on who the providers were.

BTW To say wind can become a base load power supplier is about as logical as saying a hamster wheel can. At least you can whip the hamster. :D

Who said that? I remember both myself and BT saying base load generators are completely unnecessary, particularly as they don't follow the load, by definition.

LOL. No one saw this coming?

from the article...

The Coalition, which has vowed to repeal the carbon tax, warned in May that compensating consumers for higher living costs would end up in the pockets of “poker machine barons”.​

Who said that? I remember both myself and BT saying base load generators are completely unnecessary, particularly as they don't follow the load, by definition.

I was responding to crabnet.

Looking at this table you will see that SA is way ahead of the rest of Australia with respect to renewable energy.
http://www.energyquest.com.au/upload...2_20120528.pdf
One could say that with 31% wind power then it would almost be our base load supply. Once more wind farms are built one would expect fewer increases in power bills in the future for SA that could be attributed to the carbon tax.

Your quirky views on power have been noted but I am talking common sense and common practice. You are talking your book. It would be absolutely impossible to convince me about your theory so we must agree to disagree. I won't/don't respond to all your posts, maybe you can return the favour.

As for SA's costs they are already the highest in the nation on the back of renewables.

from the article...

The Coalition, which has vowed to repeal the carbon tax, warned in May that compensating consumers for higher living costs would end up in the pockets of “poker machine barons”.​
Was just pointed to this article:

HANDOUTS to low-income workers under the carbon tax scheme have led to a surge in pokie revenues in May and June, according to The Australian Financial Review.
Pokie revenues in Queensland rose more than 7 per cent in May and 12 per cent in June which coincided with the Federal Government’s handout of more than $15 billion in carbon tax compensation to pensioners and low-income earners.

Although other states have yet to release official gaming machine revenues for June, the AFR reports that in lower socio-economic areas of Victoria such as Bendigo they rose by 8.6 per cent, which is 7 per cent above the state average.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/business/wor...ay/story-e6frfm9r-1226428729094#ixzz20vuy5Pq3

I remember the exact same thing happening with Howards plasma bonus. The govt can compensate people but it cant legislate what to spend it on.

Your quirky views on power have been noted but I am talking common sense and common practice.
As for SA's costs they are already the highest in the nation on the back of renewables.

I'm no expert on power , just a consumer. I wonder if you could tell me what the following means in practical terms seeing that you seem to have some experience with electricity generation? Ta.

"-Wind is a variable energy source. A wind farm over the course of a year is likely to have a capacity factor of around 35-45%. In other words, on average 35-45% of the rated capacity produces output at any point.

- The system operator, the Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO), in forecasting the availability of plant in the market only allows wind capacity to contribute around 10% towards peak demand due to this variability.

- Accordingly, rather than building new peaking power stations, the contribution of wind is to displace combined cycle gas and coal at times of baseload demand.

- AGL and other modelling results confirm this. AGL’s most recent modelling shows that the addition of 10,000 MW of new renewable capacity reduces the amount of new gas-fired capacity required by 1,700 MW due to these impacts."

Was just pointed to this article:

HANDOUTS to low-income workers under the carbon tax scheme have led to a surge in pokie revenues in May and June, according to The Australian Financial Review.
Pokie revenues in Queensland rose more than 7 per cent in May and 12 per cent in June which coincided with the Federal Government’s handout of more than $15 billion in carbon tax compensation to pensioners and low-income earners.

Although other states have yet to release official gaming machine revenues for June, the AFR reports that in lower socio-economic areas of Victoria such as Bendigo they rose by 8.6 per cent, which is 7 per cent above the state average.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/business/wor...ay/story-e6frfm9r-1226428729094#ixzz20vuy5Pq3

Yes I read yesterday that Woolworths have also reported increases in purchases at their supermarkets, liquor outlets and BigW, coinciding with the handouts. Cigarette and iPad sales also spiked. So the Government will get a lot of that back in tax and excise. Maybe others with mortgages will use the windfall to pay down the home loan.

Pokies Use and Carbon Tax

Two things:

The joke going around Victoria is that the recent Earthquake was the result of the Carbon Tax. WHY? Well it was centred in Moe, which is bogan central for VIC hence it is thought as the CT compensation had been just been delivered it was the inertia of all the pokies spinning at the same time that caused the earthquake.

BOOM BOOM.

Back on topic and I am surprised in 4 pages only one item except petrol has been listed.

For me I noticed;

Air fares went up with Virgin a suspicious $4 on the lowest fare and a 25% of credit card surcharge within days of CT being legislation earlier this year. Coincidence? What surprised me is they went up a small odd number

I fly every week so it was out of the (virgin ) blue.

Regards Peter 14.7

This is getting murky:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfish
Your quirky views on power have been noted but I am talking common sense and common practice.
That was addressed to HE.

The capacity factor of English wind farms is much lower than your quoted 35 to 45%, I believe half that. I have found the actual figures for those on our southern coast picking up the wind off The Great Southern Ocean and while better than the English experience, still don't match those figures. But none of this matters: If you can't get your power when you need it you may as well have a hamster in a wheel.

This is off topic here but you may find a debate HE and I had here on SS a few months ago. I posted the links to those windfarms spoken of above.

no, The Liberals introduced it under John Howard. It happens every time there are handouts, some people juts continue their existing lifestyle with it. Cant change that.

I remember KRudd handing out $900 to those poor families to buy their plasmas, not sure about Johnnie Howard.

I think you had to have a baby first and then blow in on booze and ciggies under Johnnie's programme.

At least Johnnie's programme would get more back in the government coffers with the huges taxes on booze and ciggies.

Aunt in law got her aircon regassed ... they then blamed the carbon tax for a $50 price jump.

I think there will be a lot of prices going up in anticipation because, really, businesses are running on thin margins already and have no idea how much their own overheads bills will increase by - and they don't want to get caught with a 3+ month overlap shortfall.

Aunt in law got her aircon regassed ... they then blamed the carbon tax for a $50 price jump.

I think there will be a lot of prices going up in anticipation because, really, businesses are running on thin margins already and have no idea how much their own overheads bills will increase by - and they don't want to get caught with a 3+ month overlap shortfall.
That would be legitimate. Refrigerants are taxed as CO2 EQUIVALENT.

From my reading some refrigerants were going up anyway due to shortages of supply. Funnily enough there is no carbon tax on CO2 refrigerant.

http://www.agcoombs.com.au/news/-/73/refrigerant-price-increases-and-the-carbon-levy-on-refrigerants/

Refrigerant Price Increases and the Carbon Levy on Refrigerants

1st Jul 2012

Under the Australian Government's Clean Energy Future Plan, synthetic greenhouse gases will have an equivalent carbon price applied through the existing Ozone Protection and Synthetic Greenhouse Gas Management legislation. The Synthetic Greenhouse Gas (SGG) levy is now applied to many of the refrigerants used in air conditioning and refrigeration systems.

What does this mean to the building industry?

The SGG levy is a direct and identifiable levy that is paid by refrigerant wholesalers as the gas is imported into Australia and is passed onto refrigerant retailers and users. Refrigerant pricing is currently volatile and escalating significantly, primarily due to raw material and other world supply issues. The SGG levy has added to this, with the overall effect being that prices for different refrigerants have doubled, tripled or even quadrupled within a 12-month period, with further possible increases forecast.

Some key points in relation to the SGG levy are listed below:

The levy came into effect on the 1st of July 2012.
The levy will apply to HFC refrigerants; however will not apply to HCFC refrigerants including R22, which is being phased out by regulation. The cost of R22 has also increased significantly and will continue to escalate due to reducing availability of supply.
The levy will not apply to natural refrigerants such as Ammonia, Hydrocarbons (including propane) and CO2.
The levy will be applied at a rate proportional to the Global Warming Potential (GWP) of the refrigerant, using the starting carbon price of $23/tonne of carbon. This price will rise by inflation plus 2.5% until 2016.
At this stage there will be no change to the reclaim process. The levy will therefore not be able to be recovered when unused or reclaimed refrigerant is returned to refrigerant retailers or wholesalers.
The levy is expected to result in a minor increase, less than 3%, to the overall purchase price of air conditioning split systems and package units.
The levy is expected to have a greater impact on the price of chillers that use HFC’s, and may in certain instances exceed a 5% increase.

It's the investment vehicle of choice for the lower end.

Followed closely by the Quick-Pick and a distant third (or maybe not-so-distant?)..... the scratchie. ;)

One could say that with 31% wind power then it would almost be our base load supply. Once more wind farms are built one would expect fewer increases in power bills in the future for SA that could be attributed to the carbon tax.
True, wind power has a great future economically and with respect to reducing carbon emissions. When used with pumped storage facilities supply spikes can be flattened out, need mountains for that though so maybe not an option in SA.
In Spain on windy days the whole country is over 50% wind powered, the first country to achieve this.

Back