Goods & Services that Have Risen in Price Due to The Carbon Tax

I thought it would be interesting in compiling a real life list, rather than relying on hypothetical Treasury modeling to see in fact what Goods and Services have increased directly due to the Carbon Tax and by how much.

I'll kick it off.

My strata fees in an apartment complex where I own an IP have increased by $75 per quarter as a direct result of the Carbon Tax, due to the communal lighting and communal gas, the Strata Manager has also noted that we also expect another significant increase next year after all the suppliers, contractors etc we use during the year to re-access their pricing & position.

Note: I am yet to and have not received any compensation from the government in relation to the Carbon Tax

Last edited:
My strata fees in an apartment complex where I own an IP have increased by $75 per quarter as a direct result of the Carbon Tax, due to the communal lighting and communal gas, the Strata Manager has also noted that we also expect another significant increase next year after all the suppliers, contractors etc we use during the year to re-access their pricing & position.

Note: I am yet to and have not receiving any compensation from the government in relation to the Carbon Tax

For some perspective, what's your new total bill?

FWIW (probably not much, but still) everyone's electricity is going up. Not all of it is due to the carbon tax.

eKwatee you are going to go to jail for blaming the Carbon Tax on everything! Shame on you.

Not Jail, I heard it was only a $1.1million fine for blaming the Carbon Tax, I'm sure the Government will compensate me by $1.2 million so I can pay my fine.

For some perspective, what's your new total bill?
It is now $475 per quarter.

FWIW (probably not much, but still) everyone's electricity is going up. Not all of it is due to the carbon tax.

I understand, everyone's electricity and every strata groups common electricity too. Also don't forget my tenants electricity will also go up, so she will have to pay more rent to cover the buildings electricity and more for her own electricty. I sure hope she is getting compensated

Just got a letter from my Electricity company about price rises due to the carbon tax. And it's going up by 19.7% :mad:

Cheers,
Oracle.

My strata fees have gone from $375 a quarter to $510 a quarter over the last couple of years. Nothing to do with Carbon Tax. Sounds to me like your Strata Manager is using a convenient scapegoat to increase fees and you are just being a big girl's blouse wearing sook.

Only about half of the electricity increases are due to the CT. The rest is to cover the cost of transmission network infrastructure where we have been well behind the eight ball for many years. From memory about two thirds of the retail gas price increase was due to the CT but it could be less.

BTW hold on to your hats with gas - it's likely to be going up a whole lot more than that over the next decade given the trajectory of wholesale prices for new supply.

BTW hold on to your hats with gas - it's likely to be going up a whole lot more than that over the next decade given the trajectory of wholesale prices for new supply.

what's this HE? i thought resources was a dead duck, something about China being a bubble, europe, bad chicken kebabs and the libor rate?

what's this HE? i thought resources was a dead duck, something about China being a bubble, europe, bad chicken kebabs and the libor rate?

Been happening for years Ausprop. It's down from its peaks for sure but still settled in at a new high level. Just takes a long time to flow through to the retail market because of the long duration of legacy contracts struck at a much lower price a long time ago. Completely different from the iron ore market where prices are now re-opened every three months or so...

If you are in South Australia then your energy bills will be increasing quite a lot this financial year. However most of the rise is due to the subsidies that we pay to those people who have installed solar pv cells (3.5% of SA energy comes from solar pv) and infrastructure spending.
Looking at this table you will see that SA is way ahead of the rest of Australia with respect to renewable energy.
http://www.energyquest.com.au/uploads/docs/electricity_data_march_2012_20120528.pdf
One could say that with 31% wind power then it would almost be our base load supply. Once more wind farms are built one would expect fewer increases in power bills in the future for SA that could be attributed to the carbon tax.

Last edited:
One could say that with 31% wind power then it would almost be our base load supply. Once more wind farms are built one would expect fewer increases in power bills in the future for SA that could be attributed to the carbon tax.

...and it's been shown in the Nordic countries (Denmark I think) that wind power can never be base-load power because it is simply too unreliable.

If you have enough peaking plants you don't need baseload.

Besides every time there is a hot day half the base load plants shut for "unplanned maintenance" so the utilities can game the electricity supply pool.

Baseload isn't everything it is cracked up to be.

Nice post boomtown. There are plenty of power systems operating very successfully without base load generators. The combination of wind with mid merit / peaking plant can work just as well as the old base load-mid merit-peak combination.

Back