Google map plotting US foreclosures WOW

http://www.home-fish.com/foreclosures/listing_page/19145

This is bluebelt. Westchester county.

last sold for 520k 3 years ago. Now 165 thousand. What a frigging disaster.

Wow, good find - that is terrible.

Home-Fish is currently indexing over 30,000 properties (increasing each day as we scrape new sites) - many of which are in this same situation.

I hate to say it, but I dont think we will be done with housing depreciation for a very long time. With a ton of ARMs set to reset in 2010 and 2011, and the average time to foreclose being over a year, I'll frankly be suprised if we can turn our housing economy around by 2013.

G'day Homefish!

I've been looking at Florida and it looks like a disaster area. Is it true that for condos which have been foreclosed, the banks pay no longer pay "body corporate fees" (forget what they are called in the US) so that remaining owners have to make up the difference? Those fees could make it uneconomic, no matter how cheap you buy the unit.

.....I hate to say it, but I dont think we will be done with housing depreciation for a very long time. With a ton of ARMs set to reset in 2010 and 2011, and the average time to foreclose being over a year, I'll frankly be suprised if we can turn our housing economy around by 2013.

There is no rush then to buy in the US. Especially single family homes (the owner occupiers).

There will be more jingle mail :rolleyes: (keys being posted back to the lenders) and mortgage holders walking away from their non-recourse obligations (sic) as they will likely have upside down equity, regardless of whether they can still afford the loan repayments or not.

Must be very demoralising for folks over there :(

I reckon next year may be the time for a sojourn to the US to do some diligence on the ground with "feet on streets" and follow up on the online research and info one has from here.

The specials will get better ;) and I'm not intimating that folks buying low are taking advantage of others. On the contrary, we are providing solutions to their problems and providing rental stock to those that need this type of accommodation.

The usual caveat of not just buying anywhere applies and won't be entertained here as there are numerous threads on these topics.

Welcome to the forum homefish :)

G'day Homefish!

I've been looking at Florida and it looks like a disaster area. Is it true that for condos which have been foreclosed, the banks pay no longer pay "body corporate fees" (forget what they are called in the US) so that remaining owners have to make up the difference? Those fees could make it uneconomic, no matter how cheap you buy the unit.

This is very interesting. What yall Aussies (I presume :) ) refer to as body corporate fees, we call HOA (home owner association) fees. The cost of HOA fees are determined by each HOA group, usually consisting of the other purchasers in your condo complex.

Usually, when a home becomes a REO foreclosure, all liens on the property are removed. If the property is bought at auction, the rules are different.

My preliminary research suggests that banks do start paying these fees on foreclosures as soon as the liens reset. I do suggest consulting with an experienced realtor when buying any sort of foreclosure, as each state / city seems to have their own variation of laws regarding these REO properties.

I'm currently commissioning a few articles to be written about various aspects of buying a foreclosure for different states, and will definitely have to ask them to look into hidden fees such as this.

Did I say Florida is a disaster area?

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- What the hell happened to the FHA's loans in Florida?

The state dominates the list of troubled metro areas for Federal Housing Administration-insured mortgages. In fact, 16 of the top 25 locales with the highest default rates are in Florida, as of December, with tiny Punta Gorda on the Gulf Coast leading at 22.7%.

The specials will get better ;) and I'm not intimating that folks buying low are taking advantage of others. On the contrary, we are providing solutions to their problems and providing rental stock to those that need this type of accommodation.

Your assessment is spot-on. If it weren't for investors buying these foreclosures, America's housing economy would be much worse.

I am planning to purchase / fix up a foreclosure soon (that's how http://www.home-fish.com got started), and am hoping for an increase in inventory in the next year. Obviously this would be bad for our country, and I feel like that guy at a craps table who always bets on 7.

US now asking Should Lenders go after borrowers who walk away?

Fannie Mae’s announcement last week that it would seek tougher penalties against borrowers who walk away from homes when they have the capacity to pay has sparked all types of outrage.

The company said it would step up efforts to pursue deficiency judgment—seeking to recoup the difference between the loan balance and the net proceeds of the foreclosure sale—against so-called “strategic” defaulters in states where such suits are allowed. Fannie also will lengthen to seven years, from five, the amount of time borrowers who go through a foreclosure must wait before getting a new loan.

I'm thinking US holiday home!

I knew they were cheap, but I thought they were cheap in undesireable locations. But they're not they are desireable locations and very cheap IMHO.

Reuters clicky

More enormous costs and pain in the US

Reuters) - Regulators on Friday closed three small banks, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp said, bringing the tally of total U.S. bank failures so far this year to 86.

Even as an economic recovery buoys profits for big banks, smaller banks continue to struggle with bad commercial real estate loans.

The FDIC has said it expects failures will peak in the third quarter, but warned this week that economic threats could cloud recovery for the bank industry, such as concerns about the economic effects of the BP oil spill and European debt problems.

Last year, 140 U.S. banks closed, compared with 25 in 2008 and three in 2007.

This is very interesting. What yall Aussies (I presume :) ) refer to as body corporate fees, we call HOA (home owner association) fees. The cost of HOA fees are determined by each HOA group, usually consisting of the other purchasers in your condo complex.

Usually, when a home becomes a REO foreclosure, all liens on the property are removed. If the property is bought at auction, the rules are different.

My preliminary research suggests that banks do start paying these fees on foreclosures as soon as the liens reset. I do suggest consulting with an experienced realtor when buying any sort of foreclosure, as each state / city seems to have their own variation of laws regarding these REO properties.

I'm currently commissioning a few articles to be written about various aspects of buying a foreclosure for different states, and will definitely have to ask them to look into hidden fees such as this.

What a facinating thread!

While I feel for the people involved in these tough times, I fear more this catastrohy coming to our shores.

I can't imagine paying $520K for a property, borrowing say $350K, and can't sell your terrace house for $160K? So, the bank sells it for you, gets $180K, and you still owe $170K with no house? How uncomfortable. I also wonder about our real estate in Aus. $520K doesn't buy you any palace, just a comfy home somewhere near facilities, or a paradise without facilities and miles from work.

Personally, I think China will bail Australia out of any major issues in this regard as they progress to become an self consuming reliant country, and "perhaps" a net exporter of our natural resourses to the planet in the process.

Are you still around homefish? Can you give us an update?

Gundini

Back