Gosh DARN Dodo... Naughty ISP!

Well, what an interesting day...

Got home tonight to no internet. Nada. Nothing. Tried rebooting everything, and air-gapping everything (as ya do), but still, nada.

So, I ring Dodo.

Now, I've been with Dodo since the month they started in Melbourne, years ago. Service has been 'interesting' over the past few years.

The last few months have been really impressive, they keep ringing to offer me a 'bundle' with my home phone and internet. I KEEP telling them that I already HAVE the bundled home phone, and if their records show that I don't I'd be really obliged if they stopped CHARGING me for it.

Aaaaaaanyway...

Today, they tell me that I've been disconnected due to... (wait for it)... INTERNET ABUSE!

They advised me that I've been downloading SPAM.

I said, um, firstly, if you can tell me how NOT to download spam I'll be really grateful, and secondly, I suggest, if there's THAT much spam around, you get spam filters on the line. I did say that I could understand them being upset if I was UPLOADING spam, but not darned well DOWNLOADING it.

Anyway, that guy passed me on to another guy who knew about as much. Claimed (this time) that he didn't know anything about the spam, but it was because I was downloading movies. I said, um, noooo....

OK. Now, I'm cross. The NEXT guy said that he didn't know what they were talking about, it was all an error, and not my fault, but, he couldn't turn it on because there was no-one in customer service to help me.

Bloody hell.

So... Upshot of it is... I'm looking for a new ISP. Probably a new home phone provider, too.

Constraints are: ADSL, high download, fast speeds. Oh, and, cheap as possible. ;)

I know, first thing someone's gonna say is "check whirlpool". Yeah, I did. I'm wondering whether anyone here has personal recommendations.

ta,

asy :D

They sound like an absolute joke! First time i've heard of an ISP getting upset about what you've been downloading. Who cares if you've been downloading movies, software, mp3's or whatever. For what it's worth i've been using http://www.tpg.com.au/ and haven't had any dramas with them. The call centre is in Manila and i've had to call them a few times initially over some teething problems but their customer service has been good so far.

So... Upshot of it is... I'm looking for a new ISP. Probably a new home phone provider, too.

Constraints are: ADSL, high download, fast speeds. Oh, and, cheap as possible. ;)

I know, first thing someone's gonna say is "check whirlpool". Yeah, I did. I'm wondering whether anyone here has personal recommendations.

ta,

asy :D

Have recently went with Netspace (ADSL2+). Teething problems early with a delay in my free modem being received (close to 2 weeks!) Have used their tech area a couple of times and they have been quite proficient.

Have only used their ADSL offer, phone is still seprarate. My mobile is work supplied so i am covered for that.

Have recently went with Netspace (ADSL2+).

Used Netspace for a few years but they had this weird problem where it was unusable in the wee hours. If awake I regularly get up to check on the US markets and the price of gold etc and play Sudoku. It was always slow and sometimes unavailable. I still suspect they sold their bandwidth to a bank or similar, assuming that we were tucked up safe in bed.

Now with Optus and willing to change again.:(

I've been using internode for about 12 months, no complaints, I'd say that its up 99.5% of the time, if not constantly over the last actual 6 months.

Hi,

I used to be with TPG, service was good and so was the quality of the connection.
When I moved houses, I did a bit of shopping around and managed to get a good deal with IInet. Very happy with them, i'm on the ADSL2+ & home phone bundle. good allowance, good speeds and decent pricing...

Cheers,
LeeF

I am with Iprimus. Just signed on for another 12 mths with 2 mths free.

I am on the 1500/40GB bundle and pay about $100 a mth for ADSL, line rental and capped up to $50 call credit.

We have been with Optus for years and were paying about $75 a month for cable internet. Home phone was around $70 per month. Recently changed to the Fusion plan which was $69 per month for cable internet plus home phone with no line rental, and 2GB. The 2GB lasted three days (three reasonably heavy users, one medium user). I upgraded to the $79 plan for 4GB which lasted about 7 days.

Now upgraded again to the $99 plan for 20GB which will do us per month as we generally use less than that (according to Optus). So I am saving about $50 per month by bundling the home phone and cable, but I still think it is expensive.

I am sure they have similar plans and not just cable.

Wylie

I'm with iinet and happy. Haven't done a comparison recently but when I joined (about 3 years ago) they were tops for price & speed (when I check I usually get between 1.2-1.5 Mb speed), Have everything bundled with them apart from mobile (don't use it much). Customer service has been good when needed.

kaf

If you are looking for research
try
http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/
there is a seperate forum for
most of the larger ISP's you can see what complains are
ALSO there is a price list for all the isp's
and you can compare between isp's

great reference

Saw something in the SMH today saying that Ombudsman complaints are up significantly for ISPs.

Dodo was the worst by quite a margin I recall. Something about deceptive plans and unauthorised deductions from peoples accounts.

I think it would be a good idea to stay away from them.

also look here RE DODO

http://apcmag.com/7507/dodo_internet_in_complaint_crisis

Cut-price ISP Dodo is facing a tsunami of customer rage, topping the complaint list at the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman.

The numbers, which show how many complaints the independent telecommunications arbiter received during the first quarter of 2007 (January - March) show customers made 6,056 complaints about Dodo -- almost double the 3,341 complaints made about Telstra BigPond.

Asy, wait until you try and terminate your Dodo plan.....
You will be told that the customer service officer you are speaking to doesn't have authorization to cancel your account, and that a Dodo authorized officer has to phone you back. That officer won't phone you back, ever....

I suggest, after phoning them 3 times to cancel the account, you write to Complaints, Customer Service, Head of Marketing, etc....basically every address you can get your hands on....and instruct them in writing that you are cancelling your account. Further, point out that you have phoned 3 times already, and keep a log of the times and names and locations of all CS personnel you speak with. Most are in the Philippines these days...

Dodo are playing silly buggers with customers....you'd have to suspect they have serious cash flow problems to be perpetuating the stunts they get up to....and it makes you realize what a joke the TIO is.......Dodo should have been fined heavily for the amount of complaints they have had made against them. Every month they get away with these tricks, they profit....

As for internode, I changed to it at the beginning of the year based on a bit of research....couple of months after I changed, they dropped their download quota from 8GB to 5GB, for the same $..... they arrogantly justified the cut in G/$ as 'we offer better continuity of service than our competitors'.....go figure....

Seems like a $rap industry.....

Though was impressed with Internode support and account establishment process. good communication....

Asy
If you are in a contract
make sure what termination fees there are
sometimes it is worth to stay a couple of months till the contract
finishes. Do your sums first

Back