Got an offer out of the blue - property not even for sale!

Got a call from an agent the other day. Somehow she has discovered my contact details. She tells me someone is interested in buying my vacant block (which is in a decent area) even though I have not advertised it or showed any sign of wanting to sell. I ask what price they are offering and she gives me a figure that I basically laugh at. I say I would only accept an offer over $xxx k. Sounds like some conditioning going on (common RE agent tactic). Also I say I am not desperate to sell since it only costs me council rates and maintenance each year - no interest.

She says she will get back to me.

They next day she comes back with another offer from her client for a 'cash sale'. An offer that is suddenly $20k more than the original. And unconditional too. And that she has a signed contract waiting for me! I tell her I am too busy to see her and in any case I refuse as it is still well below what I am after.

The following day she calls again and asks if I have a soil report and if the buyer can see it since that will 'help' them offer more. I say yes I do, but I decide I am tired of this argy bargy and decide to drop a bomb and fire up: I inform her politely the way I do business - that was to tell her client to put in their best offer and if it is less than the figure I originally mentioned 2 days ago then let's forget all about it. I'm not about to waste my time digging up a soil report from years back in my files. She agrees.

At this point I am thinking if they can offer $xxx k unconditional, no soil report etc then why are they suddenly wanting one.

Then the worst bit: later that day she turns up totally uninvited to my place of business; as out of the blue as the inital phone call. She says she wants to show me a contract to prove how serious the buyer is. There is a condition on there about seeing a soil report 'satisfactory to their needs'. I say this isn't specific enough (ie - what soil type are they looking for exactly) and basically an excuse to pull out. There is no problem with the soil of course but I give them the benefit of the doubt and move the conversation on to question what price they are offering. It is up by a further $5000 but STILL LESS than what I wanted, even though I won't have to pay commission since I havent engaged an agent.

SO I explain this to the agent carefully. I tell her again in plain English what I think is the Right Price because I have no overwhelming desire to sell and suddenly her mood changes, BANG! she blurts out to my face "well I'll just show my clients some other blocks of land then!" and walks out...I couldn't believe how spiteful and rude she was because she couldn't make a pressure sale there and then. Unbelievably unprofessional. She didn't even leave me a business card!

I felt somehow satisfied. "That's one for all the dirty tricks they try to play!" I thought to myself.

I wonder if she was acting on behalf of another agent who knew my details who is attempting to buy the land? I also wonder if she will get any commission from the buyer - ie what advantage is it to her apart from promoting her agency? I find it very strange for someone to approach an agent to buy something not even on the market...

Last edited:
This is not strange it is happening quite often.

Someone may have seen that the land had been vacant for a while and want to buy it (neighbouring blocks etc). They sometimes employ an agent to approach you rather than approaching you themselves.

There are also companies who buy property and on sell it to investors. A lot of that going around at the moment and they will just approach you similar to how you were approached.

They get your details from databases such as RP Data.

How rude of her though! It is not like you initially appraoched her and wasted her time :eek:

I'd think that was out of line too! This has happened to my brother too. Agent looked up his details on RP data - called him up even though he's registered as "do not call". :rolleyes:

Agent then proceeded to push an offer on him and stormed off in a huff when he rejected it...

Maybe it was the same agent?

I assume that she would be asking you to sign an agency agreement before she delivers the buyer to you. ;)

Does this mean she will get some monetary incentive from her particular agency?? She kept harping on that I won't have to pay commission, until I said that I didnt really care as long as I got the price as was after and could simply sell it myself to which she laughed openly in my face and stated I won't be able to get anywhere near as much!

In any case I can pretty much guarantee I won't be hearing back from her by the words she used and her attitude at the end.

Well I was wrong - she actually did call me again....

THIS time she said she will drop the offer/contract around so I could make changes and initial them as I see fit (ie the price & conditions) then she will drop it back to the buyer.

This is apparently to show the buyer that she has actually been to see me and spoken to me about it....

What's with this tactic? Anyone??

THIS time she said she will drop the offer/contract around so I could make changes and initial them as I see fit (ie the price & conditions) then she will drop it back to the buyer.

This is apparently to show the buyer that she has actually been to see me and spoken to me about it....

is it a development site? if so buyer would have promised her the re-sales so there is a big commission payoff if she delivers ur land to them, they probably own land on either side

Interesting point Bigtone. It's just residential land. Non subdividable, covenants etc. There is a vacant block next door though. Anyone would think they discovered gold there. How come I didnt know about this haha?

ask her what is in it for you to do anything for her and then tell her to bugger off. Seriously she needs a lession in manners and tact.

That's what Im thinking at present rugrat.

I am wondering - is this just a real estate agent procedure to show the client that they have done some work? Any agents care to comment?

I think you're all way over-analysing. She's being paid by the buyer if she secures a purchase of the land for them. She has various strategies she's using to try and get you to agree to sell. They may or may not work, and I don't like the feeling that somebody's trying to manipulate me, either.

But there's almost certainly nothing more to it: she's simply trying to secure the land for her purchaser.

When you make a change to the Contract, make one in the Price box...

Cross out your original price and put it up by another $10 or $20k.

Make the conditions; "30 day settlement, unconditional".

That should get rid of her.

Go put a for sale sign on the block. Put the price you want on it and say 'no agents'. I bet the prospective buyer will see it.

Go put a for sale sign on the block. Put the price you want on it and say 'no agents'. I bet the prospective buyer will see it.
That might enable silverbullet111 to deal directly with the buyer, if you think they'll be easier to deal with, but since the buyer will still have to pay the agent a commission, I'm not sure why the buyer would want to do that.

I have one question- do you actually want to sell this land ? Seems the RE just appeared out of nowhere trying to bully you into selling :mad:

Back