Got some cash but no clue what to do

Shares are much harder to make money in . Much more of an emotional roller coaster and , supposedly , 90 % of people who buy shares loose money .

I'm not convinced that stat is true.

The share market is certainly more of an emotional roller coaster. I'm bombarded on a daily basis with information that <insert company> share price has dropped/risen.

Equities have performed, perhaps, a little better than property for me - and I'm no share guru.

The share market is certainly more of an emotional roller coaster. I'm bombarded on a daily basis with information that <insert company> share price has dropped/risen.

Equities have performed, perhaps, a little better than property for me - and I'm no share guru.

Realists will always make money from anything, be it property, shares or other. Others may never make any money, or consistently lose money, and face severe financial hardship.

Some people can make money from shares, & this may be at any age - 21, 31, 41, 51 etc. You may be able to retire in shares in 6 days, 6 weeks or 6 months with extreme examples. The bigger the risk, the bigger the reward.

Not all people have the mentality for shares, while others don't for property.

I did say supposedly . I've heard it quoted several times and have heard it attributed to a source , but I don't have that link so that's why I said supposedly. :)

though if you google the quote , you don't get an original source . Just alot of reasons to justify it ....

The ease of transactions on the share market makes it easier to buy and sell......

We have a friend who is a broker who does a lot of work with Super funds . With all the uncertainty at the moment he's having a great time at the moment . :D

Cliff

Cliff

I think you should put it back into property.

Where else are you going to triple your initial investment (assuming you paid 20% deposit) in 3 years? =)

I believe most of us deal in property not only to make money, but because it is a passion, it doesnt seem you have that, you just made the money by good fortune, hence you are not that interested in going back into property. Why dont you have a think about what excites you and see if you can make some money out of that

Reactions: nhg
Not all people have the mentality for shares, while others don't for property.

Shares done right, is a long term strategy. Benjamin Grahams 'Value Investing' strategies are phenomenal. Warren Buffet is a testament to this.

So is property, currency and every other investment class. The real money is made by leveraging and compounding the profits over and over.

I started with shares, and walked away with a small profit, however I could never get my heard around it.

Property just makes sense to me, and there is still plenty of opportunity out there. With any asset class, if you know it well you can make money as it goes up, down and sideways. If you don't know how, then it's a sign there is a lot more for you to learn about your asset class and opportunity to develop more sophisticated strategies.

You gain the experience over each investment cycle.

I believe most of us deal in property not only to make money, but because it is a passion, it doesnt seem you have that, you just made the money by good fortune, hence you are not that interested in going back into property. Why dont you have a think about what excites you and see if you can make some money out of that

I am 100% behind fernfurn's post. Property really excites me, as shares does my friend who makes a killing from it $$$ since he was in his teens.

From jumping entirely from one class to another is not the best way to achieve the best profits. If you want to be really good at something, you need to keep at it.

People I meet who jump investment classes or pull out profit as soon as they can, miss out on the big windfalls in the long run. Not saying you shouldn't look at other classes, only that you should have a primary class you stick with and really understand.

Back