Got your new TFT flat screen monitor yet?

My reader my remember that I am the proud new owner of an iMac. There are learning curve and compatibility problems but the "box" is great.

Because Comsec (a share trading platform) don't have a UNIX based trading package I've been using two puters and screens on my desk and got to like it. Today the new 19" TFT screen I bought on eBay arrived. I chose the one with the best brightness and contrast figures.

WOW!!!! It is better than the Mac. I have set brightness @ 50% and contrast @ 88%. Resolution is 1280 X 1024 and with a large font (still small on the screen) I have heaps of "unused" space on the screen. The total viewable area seems the same as my old 21" Sony Trinitron but that's where any similarity ends. Was my birthday last week but thissledo (another house name) even if a little late.

Bill

Hi Thommo

I've been looking at new monitors this week. Mind if I ask what you paid for it?

Anyone else got any comments on flat screen monitors? I have no idea WHAT to get.

Cheers

Sultan of Swing said:
Anyone else got any comments on flat screen monitors?

Yup. :)

I would never go back to CRTs. Ever. Well, if the choice was available to me. :p

As an example, I am typing on a PowerBook with a 15.2" widescreen. The PowerBook might be 3 or 4 years old, but the screen is still as bright and as vibrant as ever, and has a great colour profile — it has lasted the years, despite some misconceptions that LCD monitors lose their quality over time.

Plus, next to me is my 15" iMac which has an LCD screen. It is equally as good, though not widescreen. :(

You can sit in front of these things for hours and not have sore eyes after. With LCDs you don't have to adjust the screen geometry. Plus LCDs use a lot less power than CRT monitors.

Sultan of Swing said:
I have no idea WHAT to get.

There's a huge number of LCD monitors on the market. I would start first by determining the size I want, i.e. 15", 17", 19", 23", 30"...

Then I would do what Thommo did and look for the best brightness and contrast ratios.

Thommo said:
Because Comsec (a share trading platform) don't have a UNIX based trading package...

Forgive my ignorance, but I was under the impression that these trading packages were a web-based system in which one logs in, does their trading, and logs out.

Thommo,

As with Sultan, I'm chasing a 17 or pref 19 LCD screen and would be interested in hearing what make and model you got from ebay, and maybe the supplier, there's so many to pick from now and it's always good to go by recommendations from other ebayers.

I recently bought an LCD monitor - best thing I ever did as I can spend hours in front of it without any eye strain (previously a constant problem) and I have so much more room on my desk. I bought a BENQ from Game Dude and I'm very happy with it. Before you buy check out each manufacturer's policy on replacement due to dead pixels etc. Game Dude are at www.gamedude.com.au
Happy shopping.

slades said:
Thommo,

As with Sultan, I'm chasing a 17 or pref 19 LCD screen and would be interested in hearing what make and model you got from ebay, and maybe the supplier, there's so many to pick from now and it's always good to go by recommendations from other ebayers.

G'Day all,

Bought a 19" LCD TFT about 8 mths ago, exactly the same one as the EBay link below. Great monitor although the built in speakers aren't real crash hot.
I am no computer guru so I aint sure about all the bells & whistles that it incorporates. I plugged it in and it works great. It has been on continuosly for the last 8 months. I'm a little pissed off at the current RRP though as I paid nearly $900 for mine.
This one on Ebay is a no reserve auction with a starting price of $1.00

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29503&item=5189437626&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

regards

BTW, forgot to mention, the biggest drawback about using one of these monitors is when you use your laptop again.

You look at it and think, there's gotta be something wrong here, the screen is just too small (on the laptop that is).

regards

Sultan of Swing said:
Hi Thommo

I've been looking at new monitors this week. Mind if I ask what you paid for it?

Anyone else got any comments on flat screen monitors? I have no idea WHAT to get.

Cheers
This link is to a current auction. I paid a little less than this. Note the high LUM and 800:1 contrast.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29503&item=5187584045&rd=1

And Comsoc Pro runs off your own drive and only downloads data. Strictly windows. Even the standard free site is not optimised for Mozilla.

Thommo

Edit: I paid more than this seller's price.

Hi,

Keep an eye out for other features too, a know someone who bought a monitor that had a built in USb hub, basically it had power, video and usb cables hanging out of it and gave his monitor 4 usb ports. Handy for memory sticks.

Regards
Michael

After a bit of shopping around, I've just bought myself an LG 19" monitor. Talk about BIG!!! My old monitor I've had for over 6 years was supposed to be a 15" but when I measured it, it was more like 14", so there's a big difference. Now all I need are wide angle eyes. :p

Back