Goulburn?

Hi there,

For those of you who know the Goulburn area, would you mind letting me know what areas you would avoid?

I'm not totally familiar with the area and would like to get some on the ground information for those who know the area better than me.

Thanks
Al

Goulburn doesn't really have any major bad spots. Maybe avoid the housing commission areas in Bradfordville which is just north of the river and some areas off Hume Street south of Goulburn towards the Big Ram and industrial zone.

Overall Goulburn is a safe place .... no major crime, so you should be fine wherever you decide.

Mystery

Hi there,

For those of you who know the Goulburn area, would you mind letting me know what areas you would avoid?

I'm not totally familiar with the area and would like to get some on the ground information for those who know the area better than me.

Thanks
Al

I see no attraction to buying in goulburn

Yields are poor and it has already seen growth in the last few years

What am I missing?

I see no attraction to buying in goulburn

Yields are poor and it has already seen growth in the last few years

What am I missing?
Mate, you are missing a lot. I actually live in Goulburn ..... Yields are pretty good - 5% plus and capital growth is always steady. Predictions for good CG for the next 5-7 years according to API mag.

Would it have been better if alexm had bought 2 years ago ... definitely, but can't that be said for most locations.

Mystery

Last edited:
Mate, you are missing a lot. I actually live in Goulburn ..... Yields are pretty good - 5% plus and capital growth is always steady. Predictions for good CG for the next 5-7 years according to API mag.

Would it have been better if alexm had bought 2 years ago ... definitely, but can't that be said for most locations.

Mystery

That's good

I've stayed there before, I don't have an issue with the town. I just can't see what would make it a better than average investment

Cg predictions are rubbish

Goulburn has already moved a bit in line with the rest of nsw,

its got very good CG aspirations,

there are some good and bad areas, but not too over the top.
yields are not too bad, however the rental market has softened over hte past 12 -18 months due to many investors, so rentals dont fly off the shelf,

its in bet ween sydney and canberra so has passing traffic as well as people wanting to be closer to either one

buy well, and youll be set!

I'm renovating a property in Goulburn too, bought early last year. Have been watching the market very closely.

According to my friendly RE agents, many IPs are going to Sydney people for their SMSFs. This is because you can get decent yields >5% for properties <$300k with decent long-term CG prospects, and very good short-term prospects that the market won't go down any time soon. Once Canberra picks up, Goulburn with have ANOTHER growth factor.

It's also got great food, a trendy cafe culture, and for those that like architecture it has examples of everything from Colonial, Victorian, Federation, Californian Bungalow and beyond.

Thanks for the great feedback.

I've been going to Goulburn for many years although I don't know the area from an investment perspective. The numbers certainly stack up well however I believe they are only one part of the equation (the other part being social/cultural/community elements).

It's certainly a regional town that has got my interest.

Goulburn is a scary place, anyone see the size of that sheep they got down there? It's on 'roids!

I've heard the locals call him Rambo. There was quite a story behind the move there from previous location.

rambo-on-the-move.jpg

I know its not Facebook but Somersoft would be a little better if there were more photos like this! :D

I've never been to Goulburn but that is INSANE. I mean it's massive. I love it! Gonna go there one day to see it for myself but won't tell hubby about the sheep and let it be a surprise :D

I've never been to Goulburn but that is INSANE. I mean it's massive. I love it! Gonna go there one day to see it for myself but won't tell hubby about the sheep and let it be a surprise :D

Yep it is my favourite 'big' thing in Australia. Even if it's a gimmick

The big pineapple would be my least favourite

I usually drive down to Goulburn to visit Wakefield Park:cool:, sometimes i'll rent a motel there to stay over night just to prepare for the next track day.

My feeling for Goulburn is a very friendly small town with almost everything available, some parts of Gouldburn give you the feeling of Canada too with all the yellow leaves falling down and the structure of the houses :)

Back