Goulburn?

I've never been to Goulburn but that is INSANE. I mean it's massive. I love it! Gonna go there one day to see it for myself but won't tell hubby about the sheep and let it be a surprise :D
ellejay, .... hang off visiting for a little while as a Sydney Boutique Brewery is moving in across the road from the Big Marino (Rambo) and they want to stick a 30m high beer bottle out the front ... :p

Mystery

Are you serious about the big beer bottle?? I wonder if they do that, if it'll open the floodgates for more big stuff. I think it'd be hilarious for Australia to have one town full of big landmarks. Tacky, but funny.

Are you serious about the big beer bottle?? I wonder if they do that, if it'll open the floodgates for more big stuff. I think it'd be hilarious for Australia to have one town full of big landmarks. Tacky, but funny.
It's something the brewery wants to do and it's in council for approval, but at this point the company is happy to let the anti big beer bottle mob have their rant and put it on the backburner.

Mystery

I saw Goulburn...
And the only thing I thought was .. .
TRACK DAYYY!!!!!

Other then that, I love the town but I wouldn't buy there.
It's too small for me.

Regards,
Shawn

When you say 'too small' are you referring to it in the context of somewhere you'd live personally, or as an investment prospect purely. If its the latter; at what population size would you deem big enough for a regional centre to be worth investing in?

When you say 'too small' are you referring to it in the context of somewhere you'd live personally, or as an investment prospect purely. If its the latter; at what population size would you deem big enough for a regional centre to be worth investing in?

The risk with this size population is over development which caps growth. The town is small enough that locals are happier living in a new estate out the back of town because it's still bugger all travel time to the centre

Small towns can work but they need the right geography (natural boundaries seas, mountains, national parks prevents new developments

Goulburn has housing that dates from the mid 1800s to OTP, and much of the older stuff is superb. The "locals" are the same as you and me, in fact a lot of them are from Sydney and other big cities. Character homes (victorian, federation places with original features and sympathetic renovations) are highly sought after and worth the most -- just as in Sydney, Melbourne and everywhere else. There aren't any more of these being built.

Goulburn might be small compared to Sydney, but in Australia EVERYTHING is small compared to Sydney. It's like standing atop Everest and saying that everything else is so short.
Goulburn has great food, nearly every retail shop (notable exception is OfficeWorks) and is growing with the new brewery mentioned earlier and a BCF shopping complex being built next door.

It has its disruptive moment 10-odd years ago when the motorway bypassed it, the result seems to have been that the fast food places have died and good food places have replaced them. Like Newcastle losing BHP, it's survived and grown stronger (though it took Newcastle a long time to leave the ICU).

IMHO it's a better place to retire to than Central Coast, if you can live without ocean views.

did you decide Alexm?

Hi there,

For those of you who know the Goulburn area, would you mind letting me know what areas you would avoid?

I'm not totally familiar with the area and would like to get some on the ground information for those who know the area better than me.

Thanks
Al

Alexm, did you buy ? We bought last year in west goulburn, big blocks etc. Spent good deal of time getting to know the areas. Only questionable area is as stated the Housing commission area north east of town next to the new housing estate in fact you have to drive through it. Most of the established suburbs have a large number of owner occupier renos happening, good activity. Settled on a Friday, new tenants with excellent references moved in on the Monday. Yield at 6%.
Cheers

Highland22, not as yet my friend. We've got a few projects in the Southern Highlands (with a few more coming up) so my focus has been there.

I'll pull my finger out and get something in Goulburn later this year as I like the area and it has good infrastructure and potential for stable future growth.

Hi Guys,

So do you think it's too late to get into the Goulburn market or is there still some growth?

Hi Allgood
You are not going to get sydney style CG but like Alexm stated it has good infrastructure and potential for stable future growth. They have assured their water supply for the next 30 years, you have wind energy companies looking for long term rentals for maintenance staff and if Tony Abbott can give that sector ( and every other business sector)a bit of confidence by making up his mind, there are 4 big wind farms projects ready to go.
So a good broad base to the local economy.
Invest for the long term.

Back