Government helping pensioners by installing Digital Boxes

I am so frustrated with the Federal Government and all the waste

Latest $350.00 to supply and fit Digital boxes to pensioners
I feel sorry for pensioners who are struggleing.The labour government is now insulting pensioners with this proposal
Pensioners have to be frugal to survive these days
JB HI FI Catalogue 22 inch LCD TV DVD COMBO FULL HD $296.00

So why doesnt the government just buy TVs and give them to Pensioners

How does evEryone else feel about this

SENIOR

i doubt that to supply and fit the TV would cost much less.

plus, who would want to trade a 40" TV for a 22 just because it cannot play digital?

I thought it was pretty silly.
But I was surprised to hear a story on the radio this morning that the policy has been in place for around 18 mths already, and its just a continuation of an existing scheme. Also, that at around that time, the Libs were actively advocating for the govt to provide equipment/ technical support etc to pensioners to ensure they didnt lose their telly. I wasnt listening closely, but I think that was the story...... it sort of put a different light on it for me.

Dumb, Dumber & Dumbest.... this scheme is so ridiculous that I struggle to fully comprehend how these people can be running the country.

It is just another vain attempt at a vote grab. Over $300 million that could be better spent on health care, palliative care, aged care services or any other number of basic human needs for that demographic.

This is blatantly irresponsible government spending. :mad:

Dumb, Dumber & Dumbest.... this scheme is so ridiculous that I struggle to fully comprehend how these people can be running the country.

It is just another vain attempt at a vote grab. Over $300 million that could be better spent on health care, palliative care, aged care services or any other number of basic human needs for that demographic.

This is blatantly irresponsible government spending. :mad:

Do you really expect elderly pensioners to purchase and install their own digital set top boxes? Or do you just expect them to live without television further isolating them from society?

I'm not sure about the cost, perhaps it could be done cheaper, but I'm certain that many pensioners need assistance converting over to digital TV and they will probably need some training on how to use it as well.

I sure don't be-grudge pensioners a set-top box. The problem i have, is that they think $350 is justifiable!!

Hell, i'll do it for $300 ;)

Half of the government is incompetent and needs to be shot imo.

It was interesting watching the Belgians without a government because the EU wouldn't let them elect one without first doing their budget - lots of people were saying that things were going so well that they didn't want a new one at all :D

Do you really expect elderly pensioners to purchase and install their own digital set top boxes? Or do you just expect them to live without television further isolating them from society?

I'm not sure about the cost, perhaps it could be done cheaper, but I'm certain that many pensioners need assistance converting over to digital TV and they will probably need some training on how to use it as well.

Yeah, on reflection you're right Cupcakes... a set top box is far more important than 3 square meals a day and access to proper health services or palliative care... :rolleyes:

My apologies for being stuck here on planet earth in the real world....

I sure don't be-grudge pensioners a set-top box. The problem i have, is that they think $350 is justifiable!!

Hell, i'll do it for $300 ;)

so how much would you charge to travel 100km one way to install a box and then give an hour lesson on how to use it?

What next Cupcakes. Will we be paying to install DVD players for the elderly, or help program the microwave. Get friends and relatives to help with set-top boxes. Labor have has some stupid ideas. This is high up there on the list.

I'm sure if you asked the elderly where the priority on spending $300m should be, they would not put set-top boxes as No.1 priority.

i'm with the OP - you can buy a pretty good new tele for under $400 nowadays.

how many pensioners will have old tv's that the set top boxes don't work with anyhow ... and how many will be told that they need their aerial replaced (splutter splutter) for more rip off money ... and even my non-pension age hubby has trouble working the tv with the set top because he keeps turning off the wrong remote!

i don't begrudge the set top boxes - but i do fear the potential for rip offs and government aimed price hikes.

sheesh - if harvey normal can install them for $100 i'd just contract it to them ...

The reason is when the analogue TV signal goes fully digital in 2013, there will be a lot of pensioners/seniors that havnt made the change over and will be without television of any type. The govt is pre empting this.

Imagine the outcry if that situation were to eventuate. There would be a different whinge on the forum. :rolleyes:

As far as replacing with a new televison, you cant get a decent televison supplied and installed for $350. Possibly some 20 inch Chinese no-name brand that lasts 2-3 years.

Some people just like to whinge for the sake of it methinks. And you can tell thats the case as they dont offer a viable alternative to what theyre whinging about.

Mate, you're making it sound like the set top box is replacing 3 meals and palliative care. Thats just wrong.

And if they didnt supply the set top box, it doesnt mean they would automatically increase spending on seniors/pensioners.

What a ridiculous proposition. You sound like a scare mongering Liberal;.

Yeah, on reflection you're right Cupcakes... a set top box is far more important than 3 square meals a day and access to proper health services or palliative care... :rolleyes:

My apologies for being stuck here on planet earth in the real world....

Don't these pensioners have kids and grand kids who can tune them in? How could they afford the TV they already have and who set it up? Any non-digital TV must be on it's last legs anyway.

Buy a new set and get it from a company which offers delivery and instillation. If necessary the retailer can bill the Feds for the "extras".

TVs are cheep, cheep. The right to watch TV would not be written into any Bill Of Rights if we wrote one and pensioners could afford one anyway, providing other pastimes such as pokies etc are under control.

A case can be made for the chronically ill, but we are talking about the community at large. BTW There are many "working poor" who are raising children. What about them?

I am so frustrated with the Federal Government and all the waste

Latest $350.00 to supply and fit Digital boxes to pensioners
I feel sorry for pensioners who are struggleing.The labour government is now insulting pensioners with this proposal
Pensioners have to be frugal to survive these days
JB HI FI Catalogue 22 inch LCD TV DVD COMBO FULL HD $296.00

So why doesnt the government just buy TVs and give them to Pensioners

How does evEryone else feel about this

SENIOR

Just to clarify, the govt plan is to have someone install the set top box, teach the pensioners how to use it, and it also provide 12 months service if they have any questions / problems etc.

I don't think JB Hi-Fi provide that service.

I'm not suggesting it's a good idea, just clarifying what the taxpayer is actually paying for.

But I was surprised to hear a story on the radio this morning that the policy has been in place for around 18 mths already, and its just a continuation of an existing scheme. Also, that at around that time, the Libs were actively advocating for the govt to provide equipment/ technical support etc to pensioners to ensure they didnt lose their telly.

Yep, it's been running for 18 months and had bipartisan support I gather. 38,000 installations so far. No problems so far. But it's an easy one for the tabloids and shock jocks jocks and dills who get their opinions from them to run with.

The cheap set top boxes won't pick up all stations, so all the talk about $30 boxes as alternatives is nonsense.

Imagine the uproar when the analogue signal gets turned off if there was no provision for pensioners?

Imagine the uproar if hundreds of thousands of TVs were imported from China and foisted upon people who were quite happy with the TV they had.

so how much would you charge to travel 100km one way to install a box and then give an hour lesson on how to use it?
$150. $50 for the install and the lesson, and $1 per km to get there. Done it before, but not quite that far.

Not sure why you people keep saying "when" analogue is switched off, in some areas its been switched off for ages now and its already digital or nothing. For a while there we had a rash of work plugging in set top boxes for people of various ages (all over 50 though) who didn't have techy grandkids locally.

Yeah, the signal has been disappearing in some regional areas, but imagine what will happen when the switch-off really ramps up.

Boy, there will be a lot of TVs getting tossed out.

Even now, when I see a TV on the street - they're often big and not too old - I know that they probably work but the house owner has gone digital and there is no second hand market for old TVs.

I don't watch much telly, but I've got one digital TV and four analogue ones. They've all been given to me by people who didn't want them. I've got one in a spare bedroom, one in my shed for those summer afternoons when the cricket is on, one in my wife's studio and another in a flat on the property.

They're all watched only very occasionally, and I'm not going to bother getting boxes for them, so when Sydney loses the signal that's four TVs I'll have to toss.

Yes I do expect them to in most cases (they are old not mentally retarded - my granddad would kick my *** if I treated him as an incapable muppet) and in most other cases I'd expect their family to do it.

The only people I see a need for this for is those with no family and no idea on technology and I would assume that to be a VERY small number that would in no way need $300 million.

As an aside my Grandparents and most of their friends already have digital set up so not sure where this perceived need springs from.

Back