Government helping pensioners by installing Digital Boxes

i can bet you that no person on this forum would be able to devise a plan that would have no one on this forum whinge about it :D

How about "Nothing: Let individuals solve their problems as they always have and let charitable groups help the VERY small number in difficulty." Charities are much more efficient than public servants so let's fund them.

A digital antenna is the same as an analogue one. It just depends which area you are in, as to whether UHF or VHF is used.

Not if the antenna is 20 years old, in the ceiling cavity, has air spaced coax/ribbon wire or all of the above.

I realise what your talking about, but due to digital having a "digital cliff" effect digital doesn't always work where analogue was acceptable.

Ask a friend who lives in a block of appartments who has recently bought a digital TV. I have seen apartment complexes about 10 years old not able to get digital without a full building rewire :eek:

Not if the antenna is 20 years old, in the ceiling cavity, has air spaced coax/ribbon wire or all of the above.

...therefore they would have had a crap picture anyway, if any picture at all.
Why do they need a stb if they weren't watching analogue?

...therefore they would have had a crap picture anyway, if any picture at all.Why do they need a stb if they weren't watching analogue?

Not really.

Also digital is transmitted 6dB lower in signal strength than analogue.

I believe the idea is good in theory...but expect to see labour miss manage it like previous projects.

I am in the industry and it does seem it is being run better than the pink batts saga, but that wouldn't be really hard anyway lol..

Mate, you're making it sound like the set top box is replacing 3 meals and palliative care. Thats just wrong.

And if they didnt supply the set top box, it doesnt mean they would automatically increase spending on seniors/pensioners.

What a ridiculous proposition. You sound like a scare mongering Liberal;.

No, just a realist. I would be extremely happy for the $300+ million to be spent on pensioners for things THEY NEED.

Perhaps you subscribe to the core inflation figures the government feeds us. The rest of us living in the REAL world, know that headline inflation has pensioners on struggle street big time because food cost and energy bills have hit them extremely hard.

Pensioners NEED relief today and we should not insult them by wasting tax dollars on gadgets instead of helping them maintain a decent standard of living. Think about that next time you are munching on your prime steak, watching your HDTV.

I guess you would give a hungary child a new Xbox instead of a few decent meals....:rolleyes:

And by the way, you have totally missed the governments agenda with this scheme..... it isn't about HDTV.... :rolleyes:

How about "Nothing: Let individuals solve their problems as they always have and let charitable groups help the VERY small number in difficulty." Charities are much more efficient than public servants so let's fund them.

i think that was already suggested and whinged at:p

Not really.

Also digital is transmitted 6dB lower in signal strength than analogue.

true

when i bought digital TV i had to rewire the antenna cause it simply wouldn't find any digital channels. turned out that antenna cable was consisting of 3 pieces which were hanging together by the virtue of small bits of electrical tape.

was ok for analogue though

Mate, thats a completely different tone to your first post where you implied that by giving pensioners set top boxes they will have to do without 2 meals a day and palliative care.

Thats what was ridiculous.

Now that you've posted a much less alarmist, scare mongering version of it, i partially agree with you.

No, just a realist. I would be extremely happy for the $300+ million to be spent on pensioners for things THEY NEED.

Perhaps you subscribe to the core inflation figures the government feeds us. The rest of us living in the REAL world, know that headline inflation has pensioners on struggle street big time because food cost and energy bills have hit them extremely hard.

Pensioners NEED relief today and we should not insult them by wasting tax dollars on gadgets instead of helping them maintain a decent standard of living. Think about that next time you are munching on your prime steak, watching your HDTV.

I guess you would give a hungary child a new Xbox instead of a few decent meals....:rolleyes:

And by the way, you have totally missed the governments agenda with this scheme..... it isn't about HDTV.... :rolleyes:

when i bought digital TV i had to rewire the antenna cause it simply wouldn't find any digital channels. turned out that antenna cable was consisting of 3 pieces which were hanging together by the virtue of small bits of electrical tape.
Our current house just happens to have line of sight to the transmitter between the only break in a line of trees, houses, sheds and even some hills. When the kids actually leave the tv cable plugged in, we have the bestest digital reception :D

Previous house we put a great big tall antenna on top of the tallest chimney on a tall house, had amplifiers, the works, couldn't get digital unless it was -3 degrees at 2am and a reflective truck was parked at the servo at exactly the right angle. We gave up and switched to satellite so we at least got ABC/SBS (analogue was crap too). At the time they weren't retransmitting digital on satelite but apparently they are now.

Absolutely correct.

Only one problem; ya can't win votes with that scheme.

I don't think you and I would last as Pollies SF. :D

You see; in today's world, we are all totally stupid; we have to have our hand held throughout our whole lives.

I mean; ya have to have a warning label on yer McCafe so as not to burn yerself - the contents are hot, you know....

We have to make the employers pay the employees' super because they are too stupid to save a few bob and look after their own retirement, and then whine about it on an hourly basis when they get there (pensionerville) to anyone who will listen.

And so on.

Back