Govt to make it easier to swap lenders

Pulled this off yahoo tonight - thought it might be of interest. I think I hear it in the background on sky news being reported as well.

-----
source: http://au.news.yahoo.com/080103/2/15fez.html

Sunday January 13, 04:49 PM
Govt to make it easier to swap lenders
The federal government will try to reduce the impact of rising home loan interest rates by making it easier for borrowers to switch lenders.

Treasurer Wayne Swan said he was investigating how to shield borrowers from tough fees if they chose to refinance their loans.

He said he wanted to make sure Australia's banking system worked for families, not against them, following the decision by all four major banks to raise variable interest rates independent of action by the Reserve Bank of Australia.

The banks said the rises were necessary in the wake of higher costs associated with the US sub-prime mortgage crisis.

Mr Swan has been critical of the rises, which he labelled excessive, urging borrowers to "vote with their feet".

"If there is an obstacle in the way, where a customer feels they want to change their account, we'll take a look at that," he told reporters in Brisbane.

"I've asked for a report from Treasury and I'll be talking to the banks in a couple of weeks about a range of reforms which make the market more competitive," he said.

----

I think Mr Swan is just trying to look good for the voters. Unless the government is willing to directly fund exit fees, I'd be very interested to see how this is going to be done.

I think within a few interest rate changes, the banks will get their variable rates to the same level (they're spead across 0.20% at the moment). I don't see the government being able to effectively do anything whilst the banks are opperating in a fee market. They'd be better off letting competion take care of the current rate increases.

I think within a few interest rate changes, the banks will get their variable rates to the same level (they're spead across 0.20% at the moment). I don't see the government being able to effectively do anything whilst the banks are opperating in a fee market. They'd be better off letting competion take care of the current rate increases.

Unfortunately there is a lagged effect until this is felt in the numbers which the RBA looks at. Don't be surprised to see 2x 25bps rises in Q1 of this year if the retail sales figures and CPI come up higher than expected. There has also been a surge in borrowings both in the investment and home buyers sector fuelled by a booming economy. All this adds pressure on inflationand in turn, rates. I am well prepared to re-fi some of my fixed rates at high 8% in 6-12 months time. If you're currently on an IP buying spree, you'd better have deep pockets cos when the party stops, theres going to be a lot of erosion of equity when you're hanging on for dear life. Its only a matter of time....

This is nothing short of propoganda.

What can you do, except eliminate some of the mortgage stamp duties, but they're not a killer cost anyway.

Swan knows this but he just wants to look good. PT_Bear is right, nothing can change unless the govt. pay exit fees, and then that becomes OUR taxes paying money to the banks to help OTHER PEOPLE. Sounds a bit wrong to me.

Just like Rudd saying that he'll fix affordability, then offering virtually no practical proposals to do so.

This is nothing short of propoganda.

... that becomes OUR taxes paying money to the banks to help OTHER PEOPLE. Sounds a bit wrong to me.

Do you have other people's taxes helping pay for your investment properties? I know I do. Is that wrong?!?!?!?

More competition between banks??!!

More competition = More demand for loans

More demand for loans = More demand for property

More demand for property = Higher interest rates

Back to square 1.

More competition between banks??!!

More competition = More demand for loans

More demand for loans = More demand for property

More demand for property = Higher interest rates

Back to square 1.

Did you forget...
Higher interest rates = decreased affordability/serviceability
decreased affordability/serviceability = less loans written
less loans written = more competition

Now I'm really confused :confused:

OH & + 1 for Bear. Was stating exactly the same thing to my wife last night (such a romantic life we lead)

Last edited:
Back