Grand Designs - Surry Hills

Hi All
Just finished watching this episode of Grand Designs, anyone watch it?

I could not believe that you could actually build a home on a 46 sqm block of land. I think all up they spent around 230K block and approx 630K building cost (220 sq).

They certainly had some amazing views from the top, but I don't think I could live in this particular property. How much would a terrace cost in this area?
For those from Syd would be interested in what you think of the area.

Here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59HcNN1iAaM

Cheers, MTR

I'm with mojos - very clever design but I would've tried to fit a lift in as well - or at least a dumb waiter to get the shopping up from the garage to the 3rd floor. I probably also would've tried to get a powder room in on either the office, living or kitchen floor as it's a long way from the office/deck/kitchen down to the bathroom

Hi All

I know the area, lived there 10 years and know the block this was built.

Why no lift.

Costs. would be $60k to $100k
Ongoing maintenance: say $5k to $10k a year.
Noisy and the lift motor room takes space.
Footing: heavy duty needed to support roof and you saw what was next door. SH is either sandstone or sand footings. Sandstone good but expensive to dig, sand bad, very bad to dig into. That area use to be an old swamp so probably sand. Very soft, lots of underpinning.

Why build there? Cheap by Surry Hills Standards.

Surry Hills is premium inner city suburb with present median price for a terrace of $980,000. Median is 2 bed upstairs, living dining an kitchen and small bathroom/ldy down. No carpark. M2 only 60m2 of land.

This block was landlocked by two terraces despite being the rear of the office precinct that borders SH and Central. This is not a nice area to live being the rear of 4 storey office with trucks etc...I suspect the owners of the terraces are the probably original residents who refuse to sell regardless of price, or brothels, hence the block has high height approval but too small for anything commercial. IF a developer could get the terrace next door and another they could make a decent block but it was corner so no go.

I dont know what he paid but built around 2000 a terrace would have been $350k in ok condition. I suspect he got land for $100 to $200k ish and probably found it after (as an architect) his firm was unable to get the neighbours to sell.

Another one similar but much nicer look was built in Devonshire St over a dis-used power stations. It sold for $400k and the got thee small units and a cafe onto park on GF. But this is main drag, not back alley.

Ironically small terrace blocks sell for more than house pro rata because they give the owner and excuse to do a "grand design".

UPSIDE?

Views

But they were all you had and not great like the harbour. At ground level you would be looking to the back of offices, seeing garbage bins, graffiti, homeless persons ( a few shelters are nearby) and it may smell and would be noisy.

He has car parking. This is very rare in this area. Terraces worth $2M still have to park cars in the street. I know some who buy old unit nearby just for the carspace and rent unit out.

Up high you get decent air and views and away from all that.

Options. It would easily convert to offices long term for his own future firm. Financially not a bad call. You own and then sell to your firm when the kids come and move to Eastern Suburbs and let the firm pay you rent or a nice profit. Cannot imagine kids living there.

Large roof deck is also desirable being rare. Great for parties. No neighbours to complain being semi commercial area.

Showcase his talents Inner city couples have more money than sense and all want to put their mark on something. Overcapitalisation is never considered. Great advertising here.....

To give you an idea of how much they spend: I scored an antique claw foot bath, brass trombone taps and original doors from terrace for my new country house ebay for $500. Taps worth $1000 alone. I saved about $1500 for two days work.

Owners both doctors wit 2 kids were renovating out the back half of this single storey villa in Glebe. So they were demolishing half a nice house to build two more rooms, new kitchen and second bathroom. The budget $1.1M. :eek:]

That is on top of the house cost which would have been $1M itself. So over $2M for three bedroom villa, wall to wall one side, front garden 30m2 , rear garden and deck 60m2 and two more bedrooms and the house was perfectly good as is.

Some thoughts, Peter 14.7

Hi All

I know the area, lived there 10 years and know the block this was built.

Why no lift.

Costs. would be $60k to $100k
Ongoing maintenance: say $5k to $10k a year.
Noisy and the lift motor room takes space.
Footing: heavy duty needed to support roof and you saw what was next door. SH is either sandstone or sand footings. Sandstone good but expensive to dig, sand bad, very bad to dig into. That area use to be an old swamp so probably sand. Very soft, lots of underpinning.

Why build there? Cheap by Surry Hills Standards.

Surry Hills is premium inner city suburb with present median price for a terrace of $980,000. Median is 2 bed upstairs, living dining an kitchen and small bathroom/ldy down. No carpark. M2 only 60m2 of land.

This block was landlocked by two terraces despite being the rear of the office precinct that borders SH and Central. This is not a nice area to live being the rear of 4 storey office with trucks etc...I suspect the owners of the terraces are the probably original residents who refuse to sell regardless of price, or brothels, hence the block has high height approval but too small for anything commercial. IF a developer could get the terrace next door and another they could make a decent block but it was corner so no go.

I dont know what he paid but built around 2000 a terrace would have been $350k in ok condition. I suspect he got land for $100 to $200k ish and probably found it after (as an architect) his firm was unable to get the neighbours to sell.

Another one similar but much nicer look was built in Devonshire St over a dis-used power stations. It sold for $400k and the got thee small units and a cafe onto park on GF. But this is main drag, not back alley.

Ironically small terrace blocks sell for more than house pro rata because they give the owner and excuse to do a "grand design".

UPSIDE?

Views

But they were all you had and not great like the harbour. At ground level you would be looking to the back of offices, seeing garbage bins, graffiti, homeless persons ( a few shelters are nearby) and it may smell and would be noisy.

He has car parking. This is very rare in this area. Terraces worth $2M still have to park cars in the street. I know some who buy old unit nearby just for the carspace and rent unit out.

Up high you get decent air and views and away from all that.

Options. It would easily convert to offices long term for his own future firm. Financially not a bad call. You own and then sell to your firm when the kids come and move to Eastern Suburbs and let the firm pay you rent or a nice profit. Cannot imagine kids living there.

Large roof deck is also desirable being rare. Great for parties. No neighbours to complain being semi commercial area.

Showcase his talents Inner city couples have more money than sense and all want to put their mark on something. Overcapitalisation is never considered. Great advertising here.....

To give you an idea of how much they spend: I scored an antique claw foot bath, brass trombone taps and original doors from terrace for my new country house ebay for $500. Taps worth $1000 alone. I saved about $1500 for two days work.

Owners both doctors wit 2 kids were renovating out the back half of this single storey villa in Glebe. So they were demolishing half a nice house to build two more rooms, new kitchen and second bathroom. The budget $1.1M. :eek:]

That is on top of the house cost which would have been $1M itself. So over $2M for three bedroom villa, wall to wall one side, front garden 30m2 , rear garden and deck 60m2 and two more bedrooms and the house was perfectly good as is.

Some thoughts, Peter 14.7

Hi Peter
thanks for the feedback.
My initial reaction gutsy move on their part to build something like this.

By the way it cost them $3000 per day to have the road closed during part of the building process.

They paid around $200K for the block and the build was just over 600K, gives them around 220sqm of space, yes it did include parking, as you walk through the front door on the right was the garage, 1 parking bay,

I like the idea of turning it into your office down the track. The garden rooftop was the most attractive feature IMO.

Cheers MTR

$800k for 220m2 in SH, even this location, on your own titles is good value long term.

And you only pay road closure for cranes each day you use so probably only 10 days. Where you get issues is the booking as you see. They can say No is there is something on, X mas, garbage pick up day etc...Russian Roulette.

Peter

Geez 5 levels for a 1 bedder...

Going rate at the moment is $500k for one bedder. Studios ( if you can find them) $300k. We use to own two terraces here before we did the tree change. Todays the median price is $981,000. So could have moved now and walked with $1.9M:eek:

This is why you never look back:rolleyes:

Peter

Last edited:
Back