Granite capping - Yay or Nay

Hi All
Our PPOR laminate benchtops are all scorched from hot pans and were looking to replace them.

Has anyone used 7mm granite capping instead of the real 20mm stone for benchtops? Do they look as good and are they prone to cracking or chipping?

You mean like granite transformations? My aunt did it 7 or so years ago and it still looks pretty good.

I will say though that if you're smart and hunt around you should be able to get stone Installed at a similar price, ask for what leftovers etc they might have from a previous job. I've done that in the past and got full engineered stone tops installed even cheaper than what granite transformations were quoting.

I agree with sanj, stone products can be very competitive in today's market. We used Granite Transformations on a project in Kew a number of years ago and the finish was pretty ordinary. The installers left an atrocious mess and even the supervisor for GT had other installers come in and redo the entire job.
The client still wasn't happy and she ended up settling with GT and didn't have to pay for the bench tops. Not a great result for anyone.
Does the property warrant the extra expense of stone? I guess that's a call you have to make.

Best of luck.

It's our ppor and the bench tops are from the 80s and have burn marks and bleach marks all.over them. I will wait for the quote to determine if it's worth the cost.

Friends of ours were going to do this. They got a quote then I got them a quote for a brand new kitchen with stone benchtops. The price difference wasn't that great. At the end of the day you still have an old kitchen.

Years ago we moved our kitchen toi another room and just bought a new benchtop. It did the job for another 15 years before we replaced it. It was only laminate.
But I wouldn't be spending big money on a second hand kitchen.

Unless you get those big companies that send reps out to measure etc kitchens aren't that expensive.

I've got granite capping in the kitchen in the place I rent. The kitchen is about 10 yrs old and the finish is still looking very good.

It actually took me 2-3 months after moving in to realise that it was granite capping and not real granite benchtops. Was very surprised when I realised. Having said that, no idea how the cost compares to real granite.

My kitchen is granite transformations and still looks new, is about 13 years old. The colour choice offered now is nicer. Handy with kids being scratch, stain and heatproof.

Back