Granny Flat #2 - North St Marys

We have a small 3 bedroom house adjoining a nice park. The kitchen and bathroom would be less than 10 years old and in OK shape. We sanded the floors, painted internally and clad the outside (to hide asbestos).

It rents for $340 per week and the tennants have snakes for pets.

You seem to have a pretty good deal there.

Not a boast, my properties seem to rent higher than the norm. We provide pretty good service, yet that wouldn't explain why it goes that high to start.

Not sure, we just ask for it. Also my properties, even though they are old, don't look too shabby.

Navid,

Can I make some suggestions on this design? I am looking at it from a useability point of view and although the changes I suggest might not gain extra rent they will make it easier to rent and keep tenants.

Suggestions
1. If I look at Bed 1 I can't see an easy spot to put a QS bed. The best spot I can find is the window wall but I can't see what size that window is. If it's a Hilite window (1600mm high) then all good. Otherwise I don't think once the door swings open there is space on the other wall. So my suggestion is to move the robe to the opposite wall and yes it will be smaller but I think still large enough.
2. Move the kitchen to the other end of the living area and make it L shape. I feel that having a walk through kitchen is annoying and dangerous being a thoroughfare. By making it L shaped it can encompass a meals area at that end if they wish or they arrange it other ways. The downside is a walk through lounge but I feel this is more practical.

Thanks heaps.
Hmm. Will look at plans again, I am doing some revisions before resubmitting to council. They don't like that I don't have a separate laundry tub atm.

Tried giving Kudos, seems I've already given you some quite recently :p

Complying development requires nominate a PCA(Principle Certify Authority), and this PCA can be from local council or via a Private Certifier (PC)

Traditionally, going through private certifier is quicker turnaround and less hassle. Granny Flat builder advertised 10 day turn around for approval going through PC, however I think the approval time has stretched even if you go through PC.

NHG, how has your experience going through council for the approval? cost and time as compared to PC.

I'm a bit confused. If you have the choice of doing a complying development, why on earth would you even contemplate going through council to do it instead of a Private Certifier?

What benefits are there in going through council for complying dev?

I have done 2 garage/extension to a granny flat under comply development via a PC. Cost of PC fee alone range from $1600-$2200. It wasn't a smooth sailing using a PC for approval and interim/final inspection

I am inclined to believe nominating Council as the PCA is cheaper than PC, the approval process (time) is the same in both cases now.
Agreed council engineer sometimes follow their local council guidelines policy for the approval, but you just need to keep them on track that this is SEPP guideline.

Thanks heaps.
Hmm. Will look at plans again, I am doing some revisions before resubmitting to council. They don't like that I don't have a separate laundry tub atm.

Tried giving Kudos, seems I've already given you some quite recently :p

ha too much Kudos :)

Good luck with the changes. I hate the basin vs trough requirements. I'm putting in 'stylish' 36ltr receptacles so that they comply with the need for a trough in our state laws but don't look like a trough.

https://www.masters.com.au/product/100634916/franke-sirius-undermount-sink
or
https://www.masters.com.au/product/100634908/franke-tectonite-kitchen-sink-sid110-50-carbon-black

Spoke to a real estate agent few days ago about granny flat and the rental market between blacktown to st Mary's.

He said the outer west has been flooded with additional housing causing a stir to the rental market.

Some houses for rental had to reduce rent to find tenants.

Your thoughts ?

Spoke to a real estate agent few days ago about granny flat and the rental market between blacktown to st Mary's.

He said the outer west has been flooded with additional housing causing a stir to the rental market.

Some houses for rental had to reduce rent to find tenants.

Your thoughts ?

I reckon it has more to do with the amount of investors in the market. Having said that i just re let two properties and increased the rent with no problem. Vacant less than a week.

A general query on granny flats, if one is looking for a larger block with granny flat potential, isn't it typically better to look for slightly larger blocks with subdivision potential that could be used for additional development.

These larger blocks could still be used for a granny flat, but they likely could also be used to subdivide allowing for a superior CG or developing an additional home allowing superior rental yield to a granny flat?

Using parramatta council as an example, to subdivide and be able to retain the existing house, each block must have a minimum of 550sqm (last I checked anyway).

So unless sites that are 1100 sqm with a wide frontage are readily available (and at a reasonable price), it is a lot easier to find a 550sqm lot and build a granny flat instead.

Using parramatta council as an example, to subdivide and be able to retain the existing house, each block must have a minimum of 550sqm (last I checked anyway).

So unless sites that are 1100 sqm with a wide frontage are readily available (and at a reasonable price), it is a lot easier to find a 550sqm lot and build a granny flat instead.

Does anyone have any views on the affects of a granny flat on CG, when you incorporate the spend on the granny flat. Does the higher book value with the granny flat reduce PPOR demand to a degree, as some PPOR owners may want their own privacy, and as a result the granny flat dwelling as lower % CG than a non granny flat dwelling?

I havent found that its had any affect on CG (if comparing its value without the granny flat).

Depending on the area of sydney, you will get $1 for $1 return in your valuation. Certain areas will get more, others get less.

Inclusions and Plans

good point on the inclusions, we are a GF builder and have made a special point on providing a visual on everything right down to door handles. A lot of builders supply only written contracts for things like handles, and people get surprised when it turns out to be a plastic door knob. Same goes with the plans and contract. The devils in the detail.

Back