Granny flat access

Hi All,
It is a long time after my last post.
I need help with your expert opinion. specially with your granny flat experience. We are planning to build a grannyflat at the backyard of a rental property. I have to choose the access. :confused: currently we have a footpath which is next to attached garage. So granny flat tenants and front tenants have to share the current drive way for access. and grannyflat tenants have to walk along the foot path. Current front tenants seems not happy with this idea much.

Second option is the access from other side the house. We have all front house bed rooms to that side. Side access is about 2 m. Then the grannyflat tenants can have own separate access. I'm worried that can hinder the privacy of front tenants.
What would you choose?
Thank you so much for your time.
jlk

Hi All,
It is a long time after my last post.
I need help with your expert opinion. specially with your granny flat experience. We are planning to build a grannyflat at the backyard of a rental property. I have to choose the access. :confused: currently we have a footpath which is next to attached garage. So granny flat tenants and front tenants have to share the current drive way for access. and grannyflat tenants have to walk along the foot path. Current front tenants seems not happy with this idea much.

Second option is the access from other side the house. We have all front house bed rooms to that side. Side access is about 2 m. Then the grannyflat tenants can have own separate access. I'm worried that can hinder the privacy of front tenants.
What would you choose?
Thank you so much for your time.
jlk

Which suburb?

Aim is to maximise privacy where possible, however it is not unheard of to have a common driveway area to access the back property.

I would ask a real estate agent to come and take a look, give their opinion on what a prospective tenant may be more likely to accept.

Starting a new granny flat next month, will have access from the side (1m wide) and past 1 bedroom window, however it left the court yard open for privacy when kids play.

Share the current driveway for access (make a common area as per unit dwellers). Avoid the privacy issues of having people walk past bedroom windows.

Can you put a diagram of the site and buildings ?

How many bedroom windows are on the house and is the house elevated at all ?

The two we have built all used the narrow side (less than 2 metres) as this was the most separate and private solution.

You want to avoid having any common area if at all possible - neither tennant will like sharing it.

The other issue is the access for the builders - that is more likely to cost you your current front tennant. It also costs more to build if there is poor access.

Thank you every one for your replies.
It is in blacktown area.

Tonibell, I've attached a sketch. 3 bed room along the side with two rooms with windows to the side.
After reading your post, I kind of thinking to extend the side foot path along the garage extended to the front road and keep it separate.

Second option is the common drive way.

We have a grannyflat builder- who is so far really great experience happy with the available side access.

Yes, I'll discuss with property manager before finalise the access. We need to get back on those issues to very concerned tenants.
jlk

Attachments

• site plan sketch.pdf
    84.3 KB · Views: 133
If there is enough space between the garage and the fence (>1m) then that would be ideal.

Might also look at putting the granny flat near the side fence to provide more separation from the main house. You might then have enough yard to give it a back verandah.

Hi, i have the exact same set up as you and also in Blacktown. We had tenants in the front before granny flat was built so we asked what they prefered. They opted for access on the side of house. It has been great so far.

personally I think either way there will be a bit of inconvenience...

Back