Granny flat advice - Canberra

Hi All,

My story - Im 25, and am self employed. Live in Belconnen, Canberra.

3 properties

1. Bought a small unit in Cowra for 81k in 2006. Not a spectacular deal by any means, but a very cheap one. My thinking behind this purchase (being my first) was that its better to make a mistake early on a small deal than a big one later on. It is currently rented for $110 a week, costs me probably 5k a year overall with loan repayments/strata fees etc.

2. Bought a house in Wagga Wagga in late 2007 for 145k, doing pretty well and is currently rented out for $240 p/w.

3. Bought a house in the suburbs of belconnen, ACT in late 2008 for 400k. 4 bedrooms on an 850sqm block, it is my PPOR and I live with 2 of my mates, who pay me $150 p/w each.

The situation is now that I have 2 IP's looking after themselves or near enough, im thinking the most profitable move for myself at the moment is to build a granny flat/kit home (whatever you want to call it) out the back of PPOR. Ive got a pretty big backyard, and I basically never go out there. Seems like (almost) free money to build a 2 bedder granny flat out the back and get a couple, or a uni student or two moved in.

Of course, I know its not that easy and theres no such thing as free money. Heres what I have little to no idea about, and all the questions I can think of :) Btw, ive googled this plenty, but just keep running into advertising for builders.

1. What do I have to do to get the planning started for building a granny flat?
2. What are the granny flat regulations in the ACT?
3. Can anyone recommend a builder/granny flat company in ACT/NSW?
4. What is the expected cost for applications/building/maintaining?
5. What else do I need to take into consideration that I haven't mentioned?

Any advice, comments, random thoughts are greatly appreciated, I know there are some fantastic brains on this forum and im looking to hear from you all!

Cheers
Rohan

(note - have cross posted this to a few different forums)

Hi Rohan

Well done on your achievements to date.

I'm not sure if a granny flat requires planning approval but if it does, a poster on this forum called Savanna knows a fair bit about ACTPLA processes. Might be worth sending her a PM.

Cheers

Jamie

Hi Rohan,

Im not sure about the ACT but in NSW there's 'granny flat' specific legislation which supports and promotes the type of development you're talking about.

Step 1: Find out if the NSW State SEPP applies to the ACT
http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/maintop/view/inforce/epi+364+2009+cd+0+N

Step 2: If it does, employs a designer to carry out the relevant searches and checks to give you a fair idea of costs and any hurdles to fastest/cheapest possible approval for a granny flat.

Step 3: (If the SEPP doeen't include the ACT)
Talk to your local Council to see if they allow Granny Flats. If they do, great- it might be best to get a local draftsperson (make sure he/she is knowledgable) to do your plans. I'd charge around $600 extra to travel to the ACT and stay overnight...

Step 4: Once the granny flat is approved either:
(a) Get an Owner-Builder Permit (from the Dept of Fair Trading) and shop for relevant trades OR
(b) Hire a local builder to carry out the work.

There are a few build options, from pre-cut kits to custom designs then down to 'caravan park' type transportable or kit mini-homes (very low pitched roofs that type of thing).
2 bedroom prices vary from $65,000 for the type mentioned above to $95,000+ ($103,000 for brick-veneer). The site itself has a lot to say about costs too (access to services and slope etc).
The prices Ive mentioned are for a 'turnkey' build i.e. nothing more to spend, tenants just move in and you start earning rental income.

I hope this helps.

Serge

NSW legislation does not apply to the ACT, which has its own legislative process.

Savannah as previously mentioned will be able to give ACT specific advice.

Back