Granny Flat Builders

Hi everyone

Possibly looking at building a granny flat next year sometime and was wandering if anybody could recommend a company or an individual who specializes in this area.

Got solid quotes from Ian Cubitts in Penrith for around 80k+, seems high but maybe this is the cost these days!

Its going to be a detached dwelling fully self contained and will fall under the new NSW affordable housing scheme project. SEPP.
May consider updating something that is already on the property if this can be done through a builder or the like.

Suggestions would be most welcome.

Regards

Ian

Investigate building a steel frame kit garage. Replacing the roller doors with glass sliders. Put in a shower / kitchen etc and line the inside with wall insulation batts and gyprock. $50K all up including internal walls, sliding doors etc.

We did a Tristeel one but there are many others.

H Propertunity, I saw your other post on the shed idea - can you post any other photos, or give us a bit more detail on the process. Your other photos looked like a beautiful outcome and the price is appealing.

I'm interested especially in any issues the council raised, what size of 'wall sandwich you made - insulation etc - and any sage advice you can give on the process. This could be the ideal solution for me.

p.s what model did you get from tribuilt and did they construct the shed itself or did a builder do it all?

thanks

Thanks Propertunity,

Will the steel frame kit garage met the BCA Class 1a building standard?

Im looking to have a certified building that will go onto the title as another dwelling or dual occupancy if you like (without subdivide). Im finding difficulty in this area, many opinions on this issue as to weather this is possible.

Many people are just building without council approval!

H Propertunity, I saw your other post on the shed idea - can you post any other photos, or give us a bit more detail on the process. Your other photos looked like a beautiful outcome and the price is appealing.
Julie, you'll need to PM me your emial address and I will send you some photos. There are too many & too big in file size to post on here.

I'm interested especially in any issues the council raised, what size of 'wall sandwich you made - insulation etc - and any sage advice you can give on the process.
Council issues will vary council to council and state to state. I had no issues. They inspected at steel reo placement, slab down, frame up, waterproofing done but pre-tiling and then final at lock-up.

p.s what model did you get from tribuilt and did they construct the shed itself or did a builder do it all?
Made my own design. Tri-steel got subbies for slab & different ones for frame & roof. That was all they did. I got my own electrician, plumber, tiler and plasterer.

garbage: The quote was for the "Acacia Granny Flat" concrete slab, cladding not brick, $81,004, Ian Cubitt's. Although it comes with pretty much everything. I can scan an inclusion list if needed.

Propertunity: When you say the council had no problem "Council issues will vary council to council and state to state. I had no issues. They inspected at steel reo placement, slab down, frame up, waterproofing done but pre-tiling and then final at lock-up." did you propose that it was for a dwelling or just a garage that could be used for multi purposes.

Think im getting mixed up with the terminology here

The price sounds fair to me Bricman.

I am currently planning a kit home dual occ build (bearer and joist construction) and am expecting the finished cost to be around 90k per unit for around 100sqm each (including single garage under + 20sqm covered deck) Will be project managing myself. Will rent out for 320per wk or sell for 350k each.

Quote seemed okay for what it is, the only thing I would say is that it is only a 40sqm granny flat compared to Rockstar's 100sqm project. I don't know what comes with your project Rockstar in terms of inclusions, but am trying to research different companies that offer different products and compare them all.

Great return Rockstar, well done.

Investigate building a steel frame kit garage. Replacing the roller doors with glass sliders. Put in a shower / kitchen etc and line the inside with wall insulation batts and gyprock. $50K all up including internal walls, sliding doors etc.

We did a Tristeel one but there are many others.

Hi,
If this was built for $50k, how long would u expect to keep it before it "paid for itself", or should it only be considered as a cash-flow opportunity?
Thx,
JB

Hi,
If this was built for $50k, how long would u expect to keep it before it "paid for itself", or should it only be considered as a cash-flow opportunity?
Thx,
JB

Well the $50K loan is costing me $50pw and the rental income is $200pw - so I saw it as a $150pw cash flow to make the whole property turn from cf -ve to cf neutral or cf +ve after tax.

How long to pay itself off:
$150pw = 150x52pa = $7,800pa
$50,000/$7,800 = 6.5 years if rents and interest rates stay the same (which they don't)

Well the $50K loan is costing me $50pw and the rental income is $200pw - so I saw it as a $150pw cash flow to make the whole property turn from cf -ve to cf neutral or cf +ve after tax.

How long to pay itself off:
$150pw = 150x52pa = $7,800pa
$50,000/$7,800 = 6.5 years if rents and interest rates stay the same (which they don't)

Thankyou...So would that mean that if u sold it under 6.5 years (eg 3 years), u would consider that you lost money compared to not adding the extra flat and therefore would not have done it? Or does the CF+ve make it more appealing to the Banks in terms of extra loans for you and so u would still consider it anyway?
(I have this exact situation right now :confused:)
Cheers,
JB

Hi everyone

Possibly looking at building a granny flat next year sometime and was wandering if anybody could recommend a company or an individual who specializes in this area.

Got solid quotes from Ian Cubitts in Penrith for around 80k+, seems high but maybe this is the cost these days!

Its going to be a detached dwelling fully self contained and will fall under the new NSW affordable housing scheme project. SEPP.
May consider updating something that is already on the property if this can be done through a builder or the like.

Suggestions would be most welcome.

Regards

Ian

If you are going to pay $80K for 1 room why don't you pay a little more and get a project home builder to put up a proper home?, I think eagle Homes would be the cheapest

Thankyou...So would that mean that if u sold it under 6.5 years (eg 3 years),
I NEVER sell. :D I did it for the long term.....and 10 years or so from now I might knock over the front house and build a McMansion whilst I live in the granny flat out back.

u would consider that you lost money compared to not adding the extra flat and therefore would not have done it? Or does the CF+ve make it more appealing to the Banks in terms of extra loans for you and so u would still consider it anyway?

Sorry JB, can you rephrase that? I have read it 4 times and there are so many double negatives I'm not sure what you are asking here?

Sorry JB, can you rephrase that? I have read it 4 times and there are so many double negatives I'm not sure what you are asking here?[/QUOTE]

I guess u answered it in that u never sell...Thankyou again
JB

Hi,

i'm also planning to build a granny flat coming year. It is great if some one can give me the cost of council approval and process for it?

Thank you,
JLK

Back