Granny Flat Conversions - Up to Zero Setbacks now Allowed

HI Brazen,
Oh bummer. We've just submitted the DA application. When I asked the council a month or so ago, they said we needed DA. Things must have changed after that.
I'd also be interesting to see what the Parramatta council is going to do with our DA application.
Do you think we can withdraw the application and go through Private Certifer? I don't think we'd get our application fees back though eh?

HI Brazen,
Oh bummer. We've just submitted the DA application. When I asked the council a month or so ago, they said we needed DA. Things must have changed after that.
I'd also be interesting to see what the Parramatta council is going to do with our DA application.
Do you think we can withdraw the application and go through Private Certifer? I don't think we'd get our application fees back though eh?

Hi jsoe,
Well, I dunno. Are they likely to approve it? Probably best to give me a call to see if you need my help or not. Link below.
Cheers

Are new granny flats on stumps common in NSW?
And what is the minimum M2?

Do you mean on piers? Yea they are but one needs to ensure the overall height (measured from lowest natural ground) isnt excesive, otherwise the rear setback gets penalised quite a lot.

See my approval guide for an explanation, particularly uinder 'heights' and 'setbacks':
http://www.grannyflatapprovals.com.au/approval-guide/

Theres also a good article about heights vs setbacks as it appies to the NSW State approval legislation:
http://www.grannyflatapprovals.com.au/granny-flat-building-heights-a-complicated-formula/

Brazen.

HI Brazen,

Councils will generally tell you that you need to lodge a DA.

They don't like complying development as they can't charge exorbitant DA fees.

Councils will generally tell you that you need to lodge a DA.

They don't like complying development as they can't charge exorbitant DA fees.

Yep. This is why it certainly pays to get educated and ask lots of questions form different sources. True for many things, no?

Yep. This is why it certainly pays to get educated and ask lots of questions form different sources. True for many things, no?

Yep, tell me about it. First time is always the hardest too.
Meanwhile, my architect who drew up plans for DA submission is not coming back to me when asked for "Working Drawings". How much do they usually cost? My brother needs it to build once the DA is approved - hopefully in a couple of months time. Things are moving pretty quickly at the Parra Council though. We can track progress online.

Yep, tell me about it. First time is always the hardest too.
Meanwhile, my architect who drew up plans for DA submission is not coming back to me when asked for "Working Drawings". How much do they usually cost? My brother needs it to build once the DA is approved - hopefully in a couple of months time. Things are moving pretty quickly at the Parra Council though. We can track progress online.

So you've got DA drawings but not CC?

So you've got DA drawings but not CC?

hi Ideo, that's right.
I just rang the architect. He answered finally and said we won't need working drawings on my type of job since we're using the existing structure and it's like a fitout/minor reno. Anyway, I have to let my brother (in New Zealand) talk to him so they know what they're talking about. Another option is just to use a local builder here.

hi Ideo, that's right.
I just rang the architect. He answered finally and said we won't need working drawings on my type of job since we're using the existing structure and it's like a fitout/minor reno. Anyway, I have to let my brother (in New Zealand) talk to him so they know what they're talking about. Another option is just to use a local builder here.

You'll need an Engineer's certificate for the existing slab and frame, no?

Hey Brazen

Can GF's be built forward of the building line of the main house?

I am looking at a house on a 750sqm corner block (corner to right of house) that has the main house build back right back and to the left of the block, leaving a huge fenced side yard that goes from the right side of the house down the driveway to the footpath then around the corner. A GF could have its own street frontage on this block, but would be closer to the street than the main house.

Hey Brazen

Can GF's be built forward of the building line of the main house?

I am looking at a house on a 750sqm corner block (corner to right of house) that has the main house build back right back and to the left of the block, leaving a huge fenced side yard that goes from the right side of the house down the driveway to the footpath then around the corner. A GF could have its own street frontage on this block, but would be closer to the street than the main house.

The rule is this:
Take the front setbacks of the nearest 2 dwelling houses (within 40 mtrs) and divide that by 2 (i.e. the average)> and that's how far fwd you can be.

Thanks Brazen, your knowledge is astounding as always :)

One other question not sure if you know, can a driveway in front of the building line be built to the side boundary line or do they need to be 900 off?

Thanks Brazen, your knowledge is astounding as always :)

One other question not sure if you know, can a driveway in front of the building line be built to the side boundary line or do they need to be 900 off?

Thanks Dave :)

600mm is enough. This is more a general Council rule than anything elase although the parent SEPP does mention something about avoiding concrete to the side boiundary for a substantial length. This is to avoid water inundation.

UPDATE:
I can tell you that since September 2012 (3 months+ now), I've now done around 10 Granny Flat Conversion Approvals through the NSW SEPP.

There are basically 2 types of conversions:
1. Existing garage/shed which is already fitted out and just needs an approval
2. Existing shed/garage which is a bare, empty shell which needs conversion approval.

With the first, the following is usually needed (with approx prices). Note, all Owners avoided doing an Owner-Builder course and just got trades in to do the work:
a. Slab/Frame Certificate, My work + Certifier's Occupation Certificate: $6,700
b. New hot-water-system to meet BASIX (Solar or Gas): $approx $2,000-$3,500
c. Pest Certificate: $500 to $1000 depending on access
d. Waterproofing Certificate: $300
e. Rainwater tank (to meet BASIX): $2,000 fitted with tap.
TOTAL: Approx $13,000

With the second, it's all of the above + the internal works. The price for this I don't know because it varies greatly depending on too many variables of course.

Brazen.

Great update Brazen. So allowing say 40k for internal lining and stud walls, kitchen and bathroom, power water and sewer connection, floor coverings, fencinig etc, $53k for $200-250pw or more depending on area sounds good.

Quick question.. if a garage to be converted is 900 or less from rear boundary and is made from colorbond steel, can fire rating of the walls be achieved through an internal lining or does it get done as an external fire wall?

Last edited:
Great update Brazen. So allowing say 40k for internal lining and stud walls, kitchen and bathroom, power water and sewer connection, floor coverings, fencinig etc, $53k for $200-250pw or more depending on area sounds good.

Quick question.. if a garage to be converted is 900 or less from rear boundary and is made from colorbond steel, can fire rating of the walls be achieved through an internal lining or does it get done as an external fire wall?

Hi Dave,

'Colorbond' is not a fire rated material under the BCA.
You can line the internal walls with a James Hardie/Boral solution as long as it extends to the underside of the roof. There are various solutions and you can Google "Fire Separation 3.7.1 BCA" for more info. See attached image if it helps.

Brazen.

Attachments

• fire-rated-eaves 450mm rule BCA.jpg
    fire-rated-eaves 450mm rule BCA.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 526
Hi Brazen,

A quick question for you.

Is it possible to convert a detached garage to 2 separate ensuite bedrooms?

Also, my local council (Auburn) did mention a while ago that they would not approve the conversion of a garage to granny flat because I must have a garage for at least 1 vehicle to park in.

Is this valid if I go through SEPP?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Michael

Last edited:
Back