Granny flat design - feedback pls

After looking at many granny flat designs I thought I would give it a go. Can you please give me your feed back?

My aim is to:
1. give maximum distance from the main house
2. give maximum backyard to the front house
3. give a bit of ‘bigger’ feel

To achieve the first two aims I thought I had to go with a narrow design and place it along the back fence as far as possible. It is a bit like a battle-axe development.

Attached design is 1:200.

Any suggestions to improve the rentability (is that a word?) of this granny flat?

Attachments

• Granny5By12.jpg
    Granny5By12.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,669
Scale is 1:200! That is why it looks big. I initially did it so that I can draw easily but don't know how to scale is down now :rolleyes:

All lengths needs to be read in half. 24 m in the picture is actually 12m. 10m is actually 5 meters.

Same way 240 sqm is actually 60 (240/4) sqm.

Scale is 1:200! That is why it looks big. I initially did it so that I can draw easily but don't know how to scale is down now :rolleyes:

All lengths needs to be read in half. 24 m in the picture is actually 12m. 10m is actually 5 meters.

Same way 240 sqm is actually 60 (240/4) sqm.

Ah, makes more sense now. :D

There are problems with this design but I don't have time to scrutinise just now. Bed 1 robe is too long and restricts entry into the room. Could go along far wall. Lounge/ dining area seems too narrow. Entryway seems in wrong spot. North facing living areas not addressed - as Sheryn says.

Granny Flat

Hiya

Don't like entry to the bathroom via the kitchen.....actually saw a granny flat the other day where the bathroom sits between the two bedrooms; i thought that was really neat...

Devank; suggest you pay a draftsman (such as Serge) to do your drawings....

Flip design over so dining, lounge and kitchen face north for more comfortable living.
Thanks for that Sheryn. I will work on it see if I can sensibly flip it. It would be nice to have a sliding door facing the north faced backyard too.

Don't like entry to the bathroom via the kitchen.
I placed the entry that way to share the walk/stand space. Also all tiled(or wet) area in one spot.

suggest you pay a draftsman
That will be the last step. If I can get this 12x5 design to work then I will ask him to fine tune it. I assume he would pay attention to the points Rockstar raised.

It would also be good to show us a site plan with existing structures and setbacks. :)
Good point. I should have done that :eek:

I have attached the build zone map provided by the draftsman. He placed a standard 10x6 structure but I want to see if I can come up with a 12x5 design which can work.

I'm simply trying to separate two building away from each other and also give maximum backyard to the main house.

Attachments

• buildZoneMap.jpg
    buildZoneMap.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 394
I have attached the build zone map provided by the draftsman. He placed a standard 10x6 structure but I want to see if I can come up with a 12x5 design which can work.

I'm simply trying to separate two building away from each other and also give maximum backyard to the main house.

I wouldn't be concerned about it. I build my duplexes closer together than that and the 5m width is too limiting I feel. Would be good to hear what Brazen thinks as he lives and breathes GF's.

its going to get extreamly hot with all the windows facing east and west. I would rotate the place to have the longer faces facing north and south if possible (it looks like you can do it) but you might need to play around with the design.

bedroom 1 is not set up the best possible way at all. I would have this

Bathroom, bed 1 bed 2 on the south side (if its cold at night u have blankets)
Kitchen in the middle some where
living and dining on the north side

Based on everyone's advice I modified the design. It is attached. Do you think this can work?

I finally managed to get the scale right :)

Grey area is what 6x10 flat would cover.

Attachments

• Granny5By12V2.jpg
    Granny5By12V2.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 438
Based on everyone's advice I modified the design. It is attached. Do you think this can work?

I finally managed to get the scale right :)

Grey area is what 6x10 flat would cover.

Yes that's much better; the less windows facing the front dwelling the better (for sound suppression) It's also ideal to have living areas facing north so that is ok too. I tend to design these with a 6m+ width because we tend to lose spaces in hallways etc but this design and aspect isnt too bad at all. I'm impressed.

Just a note: Someone could get smacked in the face by an opening front (porch) door there. Might be better to have it swing outwards?

Also: The living area is only 3m wide. Im not sure that that's enough width. Working with the same design, I altered it a little for you (see attached). It squares up the living area, allows more light & access to the rear yard and 'forces' your tenants to entertain away from the front dwelling's tenants, if you know what I mean.

I thought about some other ideas but they ended up creating too much hallway, which is a waste...

I have to run out but when I get back I'll take a closer look....but yea she looks pretty good on that block (to me).

Serge.

Attachments

• san option 1.JPG
    san option 1.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:
That Bed 1 robe is still too long. You'll struggle to get your furniture in there! I would move it up to the western wall and put the window to the south.Also, if Bed 1 is the master, make it wider than Bed 2 rather than narrower.

That Bed 1 robe is still too long. You'll struggle to get your furniture in there! I would move it up to the western wall and put the window to the south.Also, if Bed 1 is the master, make it wider than Bed 2 rather than narrower.

Oh yea you're quite correct Rockstar. The door needs to move or the robe shortened. I hadn't noticed that before but I was in a rush out the door heh.

I just think granny flats under 6m are very difficult to maximise without creating dead space. Out of over 90 now the narrowest one we've done is 6m...but you never know he might make it work if the accesway is optimised. He's pretty close to making it work.
Perhaps this (see attached)...

Attachments

• san option 2.JPG
    san option 2.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 357
Maybe something like this, but it's 6.25m wide, not 5m wide. I reckon your block has ample room.

Attachments

• san option 6.JPG
    san option 6.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 320
Back