Granny flat help. Fence set back and council approval

Hi I would love to get some feedback regarding council approval if anyone knows or has gone through something similar.

I have a council approved 54m2 brick veneer double garage, concrete slab, 3.2m roof height, I'm on a corner block 600m2 and the garage has its own access from side street and if i put in one fence to separate the house from the flat it would be sweet as apple pie!!

So the problem is the location of the garage it is set in the corner with a set back from the fence maybe 300mm to 400mm approx. one neighbour has a driveway between my fence and the house and the second neighbour has just gardens and open space.

I have read all the new rules so I know I don't fall under the new screw you council and get it certifier approved process :)

I would need to put in one window which would look into the neighbours back yard but i would set this 2m above floor level which would meet privacy requirements and I gues I could make it frosted as well.

So has anyone had any experience in a similar development where they were successful in gaining council approval? My local council is Penrith NSW.

What would be easier?

1. involve council before I convert it

Or

2. convert it, and then play the "it was like this when I bought it card"?

Hope I've been clear and would love to get any insight, ideas, options, contacts that may help.

Cheers
Krystina

Last edited:
Krystina,

You can always apply for a complying development and not have to go through council. I would strongly suggest against simply performing un-approved works particularly converting non-habitable space into a granny flat.

Claiming ignorance wont fly if inspected and given a window will be a privacy issue to the next door neighbour they are likely to complain very vividly to the inspector when he comes round.

Furthermore when the inspector comes day 2 of the build it will be even harder to spin that story.

Have a builder or certifier come look at your property and provide advice specific to your property and take some exact measurements.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

TC

Hi I would love to get some feedback regarding council approval if anyone knows or has gone through something similar.

I have a council approved 54m2 brick veneer double garage, concrete slab, 3.2m roof height, I'm on a corner block 600m2 and the garage has its own access from side street and if i put in one fence to separate the house from the flat it would be sweet as apple pie!!

So the problem is the location of the garage it is set in the corner with a set back from the fence maybe 300mm to 400mm approx. one neighbour has a driveway between my fence and the house and the second neighbour has just gardens and open space.

I have read all the new rules so I know I don't fall under the new screw you council and get it certifier approved process :)

I would need to put in one window which would look into the neighbours back yard but i would set this 2m above floor level which would meet privacy requirements and I gues I could make it frosted as well.

So has anyone had any experience in a similar development where they were successful in gaining council approval? My local council is Penrith NSW.

What would be easier?

1. involve council before I convert it

Or

2. convert it, and then play the "it was like this when I bought it card"?

Hope I've been clear and would love to get any insight, ideas, options, contacts that may help.

Cheers
Krystina

Hey TC

Thanks so much for the advice <3

You mentioned applying for a complying development? What kind of business would I contact for that?

I want to get it approved I would never let anyone live in it if it wasn't approved, exspecialy if it's not insured. I mentioned the claiming it was like that when I bought it as I've been told I was easier to get approval I'm not sure though. I figured worse case scenario they don't approve it and I just cop the 20k loss and let the house use it as a games room.

It's a shame as it is the perfect building for a conversion, shame it's so close to the fence o_O

I personaly hate dealing with council any advice on an alternative is most welcome :)

Hey TC

Thanks so much for the advice <3

You mentioned applying for a complying development? What kind of business would I contact for that?

I want to get it approved I would never let anyone live in it if it wasn't approved, exspecialy if it's not insured. I mentioned the claiming it was like that when I bought it as I've been told I was easier to get approval I'm not sure though. I figured worse case scenario they don't approve it and I just cop the 20k loss and let the house use it as a games room.

It's a shame as it is the perfect building for a conversion, shame it's so close to the fence o_O

I personaly hate dealing with council any advice on an alternative is most welcome :)

Hey, take a look here: http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81403
Granny Flat Conversions - Up to Zero Setbacks now Allowed

Back