Granny flat question

We are converting a 90m2 outbuilding into a 60m2 GF plus storage. My q is: can the storage be used by the GF residents? Or does it have to be used by the main house? The difference is fire walls will need to be installed if used by main house. It's expensive coz the extra space is a mezzanine so it's roof and walls that wd need sealing off.
Two diff town planners have said two diff things.one said it HAD to be for main house! that a GF is ONLY allowed to be 60m2, no storage associated. The other said it wd be fine to have for GF. Who's right?

Ta

60m2 is the max size for granny flat.

What do you mean fire walls will need to be installed. Is everything under the one roof? So is there a fire wall between the storage and the granny flat? :confused:

What do you mean fire walls will need to be installed. Is everything under the one roof?

Yes

So is there a fire wall between the storage and the granny flat? :confused:

Well that is what the town planner said, there has to be fire barrier between dwelling n storage.

It's in Nsw.

Ta

Two diff town planners have said two diff things.one said it HAD to be for main house! that a GF is ONLY allowed to be 60m2, no storage associated. The other said it wd be fine to have for GF. Who's right?
Ta

I was told from various GF building companies that there was a very recent change late last year where a "store room" is no longer allowed to be built attached to the GF, though I can't find that in fine details.

Some councils allows GF to be larger than 60sqm. So worth to check that.

What do you mean fire walls will need to be installed. Is everything under the one roof? So is there a fire wall between the storage and the granny flat? :confused:

^ only if your doing it under SEPP....

If going through non complying development - ie council...it can be as big or as small as you want....even some with lower/smaller set backs- pending council approval of course.

Ta

Whos the " senior " of the 2 town planner :)

I had a similar case for my own Development site under Hornsby council....town planner said no for a triplex site....went to see a private town planner- that guy spoke to the "senior" town planner ( ie th manger of the initial planner i spoke to) ...and now it's approved :)

I have seen detached GFs with 60 of living and beds plus a whole nuther bedroom that was somehow approved as storage. Don't know how or who approved it but it made the GF around 75sqm effectively.

Even if you do need a fire rated wall to seperate all you need to do is use fire rated gyprock on that wall. Costs about $10 a sheet more...

Whos the " senior " of the 2 town planner :)

I had a similar case for my own Development site under Hornsby council....town planner said no for a triplex site....went to see a private town planner- that guy spoke to the "senior" town planner ( ie th manger of the initial planner i spoke to) ...and now it's approved :)

Nice one. Some people are just lazy and can't be bothered to find a solution that will allow you to do what you want. They get paid either way and dont care.

Back