Granny Flat - Triangle Block - Need Design Help

Hi, this is my first post go easy on me if i am not following house rules.

Looking at an investment property in NEWCASTLE NSW, strategy is:> to buy block with room for granny flat, reno the primary res, add G/F. buy & hold long term for income.

Below is a link to a pdf for your detailed review. I have also inserted image here to make it easier.

PROPOSED AREA FOR G/F IS INSIDE RED TRIANGLE

HELP REQ:
> Can a granny flat be designed to fit without to much hassle? i.e is it workable?
> Is the any obvious (or not) reason why i could not do this?
> I want this G/F to have maximum privacy & complement existing dwelling to its best ability.
> Granny flat to be fully fenced off from primary dwelling.

NOTE;
> I don't know where the sewer line is. assume its out the front.
> There are no trees on site
> as you can see this is a triangle shape block it has two roads, one on north side & other south side.
> Entry to granny flat for an optional carport could be from either road.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4M52aF7FaMWU0RHeWQ4OUlWOGM/edit?usp=sharing

qJLh

I have a feeling your biggest challenge is the setback each boundaries, esp the setback from front boundaries. Your left neighbor in the picture appears to be have a bigger set back than your front main dwelling, and the following applies:

Front setback: The average distance of the setbacks of the nearest 2 dwelling houses

Brazen knows the ins and outs for NSW - I only know WA.

But it might be possible but not in the way you have drawn.

What is the 4.5m x 4 structure? part of the GF , garage etc?
- if it's garage then I doubt any council will let you have a driveway that close to the corner
- if it's garage then they probably won't let you have one that close to the front road as it's in the setback area

What might be possible is a rectangle running parallel to the long side of the triangle leaving some room for a parking bay (maybe a single carport) right next to the existing house

I'm just in the process of finishing one up. The block was a pain, it largely resembled a triangle, but had 5 sides.

I have a feeling your biggest challenge is the setback each boundaries, esp the setback from front boundaries. Your left neighbor in the picture appears to be have a bigger set back than your front main dwelling, and the following applies:

Front setback: The average distance of the setbacks of the nearest 2 dwelling houses

Yep i agree. Front setback may be an issue. I assume this is NOT a corner block, because if it is, your side setbacks are going to be even worse.

Thanks guys for the feedback.

I am trying to make a granny flat at its maximum size of 60m2

so the two red shapes are to illustrate how i was trying to configure the granny flat to fit in the triangle. triangles are a pain.
5x8= 40m2 + 4.5x4.4 = 19.8m2 so just under 60m2.

I agree this is right up Brazens alley.

below is a wider shot to see other setbacks, there are some right on the boundary.
yOb3

Its a corner block. Simply put, it wont work.

The side setbacks will screw you up.

You need to have 2m (<600sqm) 3m(>600sqm) side setback.
These setbacks are based on 90 degrees from the side fence,

When designing my granny flat, i kept breaching the 3m setback, redesigned the damn thing so many times. Got it to work in the end, but the angle was no where near as sharp as the one you have shown.

Draw a line that is parallel to the side boundary that is 2m in (<600sqm) or 3m (>600sqm).

Then draw the front setback.
Try and design something that fits in the smaller triangle. You can do it, it will fit, but based on the dimensions you've given i don't see it being feasible (possible but not feasible).

Draw a line that is parallel to the side boundary that is 2m in (<600sqm) or 3m (>600sqm).

Then draw the front setback.
Try and design something that fits in the smaller triangle. You can do it, it will fit, but based on the dimensions you've given i don't see it being feasible (possible but not feasible).

Hi Nek, I think this is what you have asked for?, The green triangle is showing 2m space from the back fence - which is what i assume on a triangle block is the "side boundary"

NOTE: the block size is advertised as 562.8m2
3WpC

You didn't do the front setback. What is the setback needed from the side of the original house?

So you measure the size of the GF triangle then do 2m in from all sides of it and xx from the front - whatever's its supposed to be for your area.

What square metres is left in the middle? Is it enough?

Are you letting the boundary between the existing house and the new one restrict you?

Could you extend into that area a little to keep away from boundaries?

TEMP.png

Are you letting the boundary between the existing house and the new one restrict you?

Could you extend into that area a little to keep away from boundaries?

Yeah, it is restricting me,but i just wanted to make it look neat, i dont want to impact the street appearance of the Primary Dwelling

this blue&green edged triangle shows a 2m set back at front and at side/back fence

Its getting small!

NOW APPROX 84m2

tAow

So i guess the real question is are 2m setbacks required by newcastle city council?, you can see the block of flats at the left? they are less then 2m

Q8oo

The other 'grey area' is regarding side boundarys? I was under the impression that G/F could be built to within 0.9m (of side boundary) but needed to be 3.0m setback from rear boundary, so when you have a triangle what is considered rear and what is side?

I can remember reading a thread on this forum (maybe by brazen) that dealt with this exact issue, i think builder/designer called council and were advised they could calculate the "average" what ever that means, can't find this thread now.

Unfortunately there is nothing grey about it.

The 2m setback is because the side boundary faces a street.
Where it does not face a street, then the setback can be 0.9m.
The blocks on the left you refer to don't have the sides facing a street. Only the front facing a street and the back. Pretty ingenious what they did with that block.

It applies all across NSW as its a NSW Planning legislation.

As for the front setback, looking at what you have drawn, its to close to the front boundary. From the google satellite view, all the houses are further way from the front boundary.

The only way you can have it closer to the boundary is that there is another house on the same street that is even closer to the boundary. But like i said, i can't see one.

This means your building area is reduced even further.

Thanks Nek,

Ahhhh I see, the fence faces a road hence its "NOT" a side. ok. makes sense.

But i still think looking at google maps that the front-set-back of those flats to the left (at least the one furthest to the left) is definitely within 2.0m of the fence/boundary and it definitely IS facing a road.

So How they get away with it??

I can only assume/guess that this exception is allowed if you get an approved DA??.

Which I won't be so-to-speak because I am not lodging a DA, I am only trying to do a "complying development" which is only "complying" if it meets the guidelines?

Does that sound correct?

ok, so it fits with 2.0m set-backs on north & south sides using this shape.

approx 54.4m2 not too bad...

But i doubt it is a workable shape for a granny flat. Brazen needs to look at it.

nTE4

Any wall of the granny flat that is <1.8m to an existing wall of the existing house will also need to be firerated. That also means no windows on that wall.

Back