Granny Flat - Triangle Block - Need Design Help

First Draft

seems ok, any thoughts?

brix

If the shape fits...

What are the areas to the right of the way from the front door through to the bathroom? Is some kitchen and some wardrobe?

If the shape fits...

What are the areas to the right of the way from the front door through to the bathroom? Is some kitchen and some wardrobe?

the hall way leading into bathroom has laundry space & linen cupboard

On the other side (behind laundry) is a kitchen

Ah, OK.

Bathroom- could you put the hand basin/vanity next to the loo? Otherwise it may be a squeeze into the shower.

I don't like the small passageway. The unit is too small to have space which is not usable.

What about the kitchen where the lounge is now (shift the front door), and a smaller linen cupboard on the bathroom wall?

I don't like the small passageway. The unit is too small to have space which is not usable.

What about the kitchen where the lounge is now (shift the front door), and a smaller linen cupboard on the bathroom wall?

but need a laundry somewhere?

but need a laundry somewhere?

Extend the kitchen bench slightly.

English houses typically had a washing machine in the kitchen, in preference to a dishwasher.

Good use of space is really important when there's not a lot.

Ikea has a lot of small layout units set up. It's worth while visiting there to get some ideas on using space.

this seems better with kitchen moved to bottom right corner, there is probably room for laundry & linen on the wall, this layout seems to open the space out better.... the lounge/tv area is tiny, but it fits.

xNIa

One positive:
Your perseverance :D

Two concerns:
1. I don't think the GF can be built in front of the house.
2. What is the total site coverage? Check if you are with-in the limitation which is generally 65% I think

Three questions:
1. Have you thought about an 'attached granny flat'? You may need to spend a bit more on the wall.

2. Can you build it at the back? Do you have enough room there. How would that affect the 'feel' of the main house?

3. Do you think a duplex may suit this land better as you have two street access??

Last edited:
Yes points for perserverance :)

What is the dimensions of the triangle you are nominating - without setbacks? I'll see what my design head can come up with

I took your image and played a little with your 34 sqm block (x 2). So currently you have 68sqm there (redish ones). It seems like it could fit a 60 sqm gf with a bit of imagination :D.
As long as it doesn't affect the the main house too much and they can use the side entry as their back door.

Attachments

• GF_onloop.jpg
    GF_onloop.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 162
One positive:
Your perseverance :D

Two concerns:
1. I don't think the GF can be built in front of the house.
2. What is the total site coverage? Check if you are with-in the limitation which is generally 65% I think

Three questions:
1. Have you thought about an 'attached granny flat'? You may need to spend a bit more on the wall.

2. Can you build it at the back? Do you have enough room there. How would that affect the 'feel' of the main house?

3. Do you think a duplex may suit this land better as you have two street access??

My Wife calls it "stubborn" but yes i do enjoy problem solving.

re - your concerns
1. I have not heard/read this i hope it is not true, if so there is no hope.
2. not sure what you mean, 'site coverage'... is it the % of G/F footprint + Main dwelling foot print, compared to entire block size? if so it equals 35.3% of land has buildings on it. leaving 64.7% vacant land.

re-questions
1. don't really want attached, i am really trying to give the sense of two discrete dwellings, i think this is important for rental yield.
2. no room at back, i plan to build a deck there etc for the P/D
3. To be honest i don't feel that i am ready to tackle a duplex, both in experience and the extra cost of demolishing existing dwelling.

I figured i can do a G/F faster and still get great income & it would be a good stepping stone to gain some experience in land development.

I do plan to tackle some larger projects in the years to come.

Yes points for perserverance :)

What is the dimensions of the triangle you are nominating - without setbacks? I'll see what my design head can come up with

westminster this might help you.

I have been fairly conservative and rounded down to nearest meter, this should give a slight buffer compared to the real world, but also means there are slightly less SQM being calculated.

76fb

I took your image and played a little with your 34 sqm block (x 2). So currently you have 68sqm there (redish ones). It seems like it could fit a 60 sqm gf with a bit of imagination :D.
As long as it doesn't affect the the main house too much and they can use the side entry as their back door.

OK, its a fair idea..... definitely worth a look at.

To be honest i actually don't care where the G/F goes, as long as it fits & looks good and offers privacy for both tenants im happy.

westminster this might help you.

I have been fairly conservative and rounded down to nearest meter, this should give a slight buffer compared to the real world, but also means there are slightly less SQM being calculated.
You must have some errors in your figures- perhaps you've rounded.

Your measurements show a build area of 72sqm, but you've stated 76.329

But i still think looking at google maps that the front-set-back of those flats to the left (at least the one furthest to the left) is definitely within 2.0m of the fence/boundary and it definitely IS facing a road.

So How they get away with it??

Looks like there are a number of old style cottages in the street that have a very small set back.

That block of TH's may have been developed replacing one of these older style houses and they somehow incorporated the old house thus were able to utilise it's set back.

The TH's to the side has the standard set back as do all the other 'newer' properties.

Cheers

Back