Granny Flat with view to subdivision later

Hi,

Hoping to get some advice/opinions on the following idea.

I have an R20 zoned property in Perth (760m2) with an existing dwelling around 100m2 which is due for a zoning review in about 18 months time. I'm hoping this review will then allow me to battle axe, build and retain. If it doesnt then I was going to head down the Granny flat path. I was going to wait till the review and then take action but someone put the following plan to me the other day.

He suggested I build the granny flat now, up to the max permitted size, with a flexible construction type and floor plan that would allow it to be upgraded to a larger, more valuable dwelling if the zoning changed in 2016. Follow all regs as if it were a standard subdivision/build and apply for the land division later if the zoning changes.

It seems like a pretty good idea to me, I was concerned building the GF now might limit the future value I could get out of the property if it does get rezoned. But if I built a steel/timber frame dwelling it should be possible to change from a 2 x 1 to 3 x 2 in the future (if feasible to do so). The granny flat could take the property from currently neutral to nicely CF +ve within only 6-9 months instead of 2 years from now.

Any thoughts, what would you do?

Cheers all

Colin

Hi Colin
This is something I have been thinking as well. We have a 800 Sqm block with R17.5 zoning. There are no plans for rezoning in that area. Building a granny flat is the plan. But, who knows? That area may get rezoned in 10 years as most blocks are around 800 Sqm.

So if we build a GF, we will draw a 4x2 house and build 70sqm 2x1 from that drawing. If that area ever get rezoned, the GF can be extended.

But to do so, does it have to be steel/timber framed? I would prefer a double brick one.....

Last edited:
I thought of doing this also. I have 795sqm which looks line I could retain and build granny flat or dwelling beside it. Re-Zoning still 18 months away. I was considering building a mezzanine floor or waiting to build something decent when zoning changes, or sell vacant block! Decisions!! I'll most likely leave until zoning changes.

I'm just finalising the plans for a granny flat, so this is really interesting, the zoning is currently R5 so I doubt it will change but a great idea to allow sufficient room to extend, who knows? Will watch with interest.

I think this is a very valid strategy and has merit if you want to fast forward rezoning.
Also consider in your scenario planning if making it a Single Bedroom Dwelling now will also work.
With only a 100sqm house you might check out building a single bedroom dwelling with own title now then when rezoning goes through demolish existing house and put in two 3x2s.

Btw if you want to be really cheeky then 70sqm is enough for a 2x2 GF and you can design a ""store room" of approximately 3.5 x 3.5 which is access able from outside not inside and therefore not counted in the 70sqm.

Construct the storeroom as you would a bedroom and design it so you could put access from internally later on.

Also alfresco areas and garages are not included so go to town on those so they are ready.

If you steel/timber frame then the ability to move walls is easier down the track. You could increase living areas into alfresco when rezoning goes through as they will need to be bigger.

But to do so, does it have to be steel/timber framed? I would prefer a double brick one.....

Im sure you could do brick if you wanted, I just thought it may be cheaper to alter a timber/steel frame structure rather than knocking down brick walls.

I dont think it would alter the rent I can achieve anyway so I would be going cheapest construction type

Btw if you want to be really cheeky then 70sqm is enough for a 2x2 GF and you can design a ""store room" of approximately 3.5 x 3.5 which is access able from outside not inside and therefore not counted in the 70sqm.

Construct the storeroom as you would a bedroom and design it so you could put access from internally later on.

Also alfresco areas and garages are not included so go to town on those so they are ready.

If you steel/timber frame then the ability to move walls is easier down the track. You could increase living areas into alfresco when rezoning goes through as they will need to be bigger.

Cheers, thats a good idea with the storeroom and alfresco. I could lay the slab with the full size dwelling in mind, but use the future extension area as alfresco in the meantime?

First of all Ild like to say that this forum is AWESOME!!
Second: I too have been looking at this idea. Well I actually bought my current IP with this in mind. Bought 3x1 brick & tile house on 809 sqm (R20)which is due for rezoning (to R40) in 24 months. I intend to install transportable GF at rear until Im ready to develop. Sell or move (to another IP site) GF when the time comes. Until then it will be cash flow positive so I wont be in a hurry to develop.

I'm full of dodgy ideas ;)

Ha, I was about to say you are so clever but i guess 'dodgy' works too :p

Might have to look into this a bit further. If anyone has any recommendations for a planners clued up on City of Belmont and/or builders who handle this type of thing well I'd appreciate any tips. Cheers

Might have to look into this a bit further. If anyone has any recommendations for a planners clued up on City of Belmont and/or builders who handle this type of thing well I'd appreciate any tips. Cheers

Maybe contact Aaron Sice on here? He's done some GF designs and is up on the intricacies for exploiting some GF rules I'm sure :)

I am in the process of a development by keeping the existing house, and building out the back.
Under my local councils rules, the existing house falls under the town planning act and has to be designed accordingly as If i was building it as well as part of the development.

Do you guys need to consider this if you are going to subdivide?

Do you mean the existing dwelling needs to be upgraded to meet the current building regulations? I haven't heard of this but am pretty new to the whole game.

Do you mean the existing dwelling needs to be upgraded to meet the current building regulations? I haven't heard of this but am pretty new to the whole game.

Its usually in the councils TPS. Usually the existing dwelling must be upgraded (visually) for street appeal.

Some councils may not require it. Usually associated with a split zoning or bonus density scenario.

IE for Perth R20/30 R20/40 etc

I think this is a very valid strategy and has merit if you want to fast forward rezoning.
Also consider in your scenario planning if making it a Single Bedroom Dwelling now will also work.
With only a 100sqm house you might check out building a single bedroom dwelling with own title now then when rezoning goes through demolish existing house and put in two 3x2s.

I know this thread is a bit old now, but I was searching for the very same thing and came up with this. Westminster (or anyone else in the know), how do we build a single bedroom dwelling with own title without subdividing? I don't recall seeing this as part of the R Codes, only the granny flat rules.

I have an investment property zoned R17.5/R30 but I will need to demolish the house to take advantage of the R30 as the side access is not quite 3m. At current finished product prices I will make a loss if I do that so am planning to retain and build another dwelling on the same title down the back to increase cash flow (granny flat converted to a house when prices increase). However, am open to other ideas as well and I find the suggestion above interesting. Unsure if I can do this with a R30? Demolish existing house and put in two 3x2s?

Back