Granny Flat with view to subdivision later

I know this thread is a bit old now, but I was searching for the very same thing and came up with this. Westminster (or anyone else in the know), how do we build a single bedroom dwelling with own title without subdividing? I don't recall seeing this as part of the R Codes, only the granny flat rules.

I have an investment property zoned R17.5/R30 but I will need to demolish the house to take advantage of the R30 as the side access is not quite 3m. At current finished product prices I will make a loss if I do that so am planning to retain and build another dwelling on the same title down the back to increase cash flow (granny flat converted to a house when prices increase). However, am open to other ideas as well and I find the suggestion above interesting. Unsure if I can do this with a R30? Demolish existing house and put in two 3x2s?

I'm confused. Are you wanting to do a single bedroom dwelling or a granny flat (ancillary dwelling)?

They are different things and you might be using the terms interchangeably?

I could be wrong (and probably am) but I seem to remember when we bought in Western Sydney in 2013 (criteria being Granny Flat friendly blocks), that one of the properties we looked at looked as though it may squeak through for a sub-division.

I can't remember where I came across it, no doubt on here somewhere? but I'm sure I remember reading that if you had a Granny Flat approved and built then you could not sub-divide further down the line?

As I say, I may be way off base, but something is knocking around in the back of my brain about it. In fact, it may have been our solicitor that told me.

Subdivision is the creation of new titles so it will need to be subdivided.

How big is the block and what area?

688 sqm in Bassendean. Am looking to subdivide later when I am ready to knock down the existing house as I currently want to keep it for rental income. Was told by the council that I can't do a retain and build due to the position of the current house.

I could be wrong (and probably am) but I seem to remember when we bought in Western Sydney in 2013 (criteria being Granny Flat friendly blocks), that one of the properties we looked at looked as though it may squeak through for a sub-division.

I can't remember where I came across it, no doubt on here somewhere? but I'm sure I remember reading that if you had a Granny Flat approved and built then you could not sub-divide further down the line?

As I say, I may be way off base, but something is knocking around in the back of my brain about it. In fact, it may have been our solicitor that told me.

I'll do a search on this, thanks. If this turns out to be the case it would be better for me to leave the property as it is until the values increase enough to demolish and build a duplex. Just thinking of creative ways I can increase my cashflow while I am waiting for that (maybe 5 years from now by the way Perth prices are going?)

Back