Granny Flat

Not enough room in the house. Erected a room attached to shed at back of property. Shed had been there forty years. Council came while builder was erecting new room and said it was alright as long as no one sleeping there. I said new erection was workshop/study/ hangout for kids. There are no cooking facilities and no water connected. Son uses new room as tv/games room and sleeps in original room (shed). Council have sent us letter advising they will take us to local court and to the land environment court if son doesn't stop sleeping in shed. What can I do?

Can anyone tell me where I can find legislation regarding people sleeping in sheds?

Last edited:
Lol are they spying on you...

If it doesn't cost a lot you can convert it to a legal granny flat.

Otherwise what Aaron said

....Council have sent us letter advising they will take us to local court and to the land environment court if son doesn't stop sleeping in shed. What can I do?

Write a letter to the council acknowledging their letter and telling them that no-one sleeps in the shed. Attach photographs of the shed and room - clearly showing no beds etc. Invite them to come and inspect the shed and satisfy themselves that no-one is sleeping in there.

After that's all over.......well, that's up to you;)

Sounds like you have a neighbour who dobbed you in. (otherwise why would council turn up to look at you adding a new room on the shed?)

Back