granny flat

I don't think I could live with myself if I charged somebody rent to live in that. As an investor I think I have a responsibility to provide reasonable accommodation to my tenants. Before they become the "tenants from hell" (and most of them don't), they are people too. Its not just about income. There's probably potential for legal action too if something goes wrong.

It's be really interesting to see one of these built - the price looks incredible (probably for a reason).:rolleyes:

A couple of things:
1. I'm not sure that I'd want the toilet door opening straight into the kitchen like that where you're cooking. (I'm not sure that even complies with the BCA - although someone here will know).
2. A 6 seater dining table in a 2brm granny flat of 6.5 x 5.4 = 35m2? :confused:

Sounds very cheap. Trying to understand how the Chinese could build, sell (with margin) then the re-seller, important and then deliver for that price including their margin. Would their margin be that much?? to make this whole (nightmare) process worthwhile financially (for them).

In terms of quality I am sure you cannot expect this to be of high standard but the question is if its "ok" standard. Assuming it is then its pretty cheap/good??

Worth seeing it in the yard and making your own mind up. Me personally I wouldnt bother or touch it. There are kit homes here in Oz for around 20-30k. I would investigate those options before buying something that looks so suspect form ebay with plans where the importer couldnt bother copywriting into english. You would assume if he sold a heap that he would do that minimal marketing task.

Where are these 20k kit homes you speak of tcocaro? :)

I think the granny flat on ebay looks great - my main concern is no company website or contact details... so a little suspect

Reminds me of a fibro garage from the 1940's.

Its completely non compliant. You cant have a toilet door opening onto a food preparation or consumption area. The glass would not be up to australian standards. And I shudder to think what the fixtures and fittings and roof quality is like.

Its also tiny - the lounge room is 2.7 x 3.2, thats smaller than a bedroom.

theres kit homes for 20-30k but no services.. i personally dont like kit homes for a single use application anyways... (e.g. kit homes are great for affordable housing of say miners.. but for one granny out the back of the yard... kit homes are clunky).

Where are these 20k kit homes you speak of tcocaro? :)

I think the granny flat on ebay looks great - my main concern is no company website or contact details... so a little suspect

Chinese imports

Ive also seen Chinese kit homes - has anyone had any experience with them? Could you,say, get a local architect to give you the specs to give to a manufacturer to get something compliant built? Any experience anyone?

I enquired about this once, and was advised finding reputable companies in China can be problematic if one is not there in person and has developed a good business rapport. You also need cash. I think Melbournian was looking into it too at one point?

Be careful if you want that as a granny flat.
1. Make sure the average internal wall height is greater than 2.4m
2. If it's steel-framed, it'll need Structural Engineering detail and a Certificate from a professional practicing structural engineer.
3. If you want it officially approved as a granny flat it would need to pass BASIX. I doubt the insulation would alone would pass?

Back