Granny Flats and Battle Axe Blocks

Hi Guys,

We are eyeing a battleaxe block in Sydney's west. Its about 1000sqm.

We want to build a Granny Flat on it. Does anyone know if this is allowed (assuming all other conditions are met of course)?

Can do- just need to check it out for Flood etc

Hi,
1000 sq m battle ax should be fine- we do Granny Flat assesments without any obligation- our partnership is engineer and town planner.

Regards. Anne

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys,

We are eyeing a battleaxe block in Sydney's west. Its about 1000sqm.

We want to build a Granny Flat on it. Does anyone know if this is allowed (assuming all other conditions are met of course)?

Hi sparis,

The only 'special rule' for battle-axe allotments is that the driveway (access handle) must be at least 3 metres wide.

There are no minimum front setbacks, so you can build in front of the main dwelling to a distance of 900mm from the front boundary if you wish.

If building in the rear, you need to be at least 3m if under 900 sq. m (note: the site area calculation excludes the battle-axe handle); otherwise 5m for a block >900 sq. m.

I hope this helps!

Brazen.

Hi sparis,

The only 'special rule' for battle-axe allotments is that the driveway (access handle) must be at least 3 metres wide.

There are no minimum front setbacks, so you can build in front of the main dwelling to a distance of 900mm from the front boundary if you wish.

If building in the rear, you need to be at least 3m if under 900 sq. m (note: the site area calculation excludes the battle-axe handle); otherwise 5m for a block >900 sq. m.

I hope this helps!

Brazen.

Hi Brazen,
Bit of twist to this thread. Existing house of block than can be sub-divided to create a battle ax block behind. If a GF is built where the battle ax block will be, will that later prevent a sub-division? What was a secondary dwelling would have to become the primary on the new block I guess.

Hi Brazen,
Bit of twist to this thread. Existing house of block than can be sub-divided to create a battle ax block behind. If a GF is built where the battle ax block will be, will that later prevent a sub-division? What was a secondary dwelling would have to become the primary on the new block I guess.

I see twodogs...

yea, there's a vitally important rule to be applied here.
Once you erect a granny flat in NSW you CANNOT subdivide. See SEPP rule below:
http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/maintop/view/inforce/epi+364+2009+cd+0+N

Clause 24 No subdivision

A consent authority must not consent to a development application that would result in any subdivision of a lot on which development for the purposes of a secondary dwelling has been carried out under this Division.

So, once a granny flat is approved/erected, you cannot then subdivide the lot. You need to subdivide the lot first and then carry out the granny flat development on the lot(s) which are 450 sq m or more in site area.

Just remember that access handles are not calculable as site area:
Schedule-1 Definitions: In calculating the area of a lot for the purposes of this Schedule, the area of the access laneway is excluded if it is a battle-axe lot.

Also, the rear block must be have a minimum width of 15 metres:
Site Requirements: If it is a battle-axe lot, has an access laneway of at least 3 metres in width and measuring at least 12 metres by 12 metres, excluding the access laneway

I hope I haven't garbled the answer!

Brazen.

Thanks! I had assumed that clause meant that just the GF can't be sub-divided, of course, but I now see it relates to the whole lot.

granny flat subdivision

I have heard that to subdivide an existing granny flat you would have to lodge a 'change of use' so it is no longer considered a granny flat?

I have heard that to subdivide an existing granny flat you would have to lodge a 'change of use' so it is no longer considered a granny flat?

Hi Indira,

Yes that's correct. You'd just need to convert the granny flat into an 'outbuilding' (shed or the like). Approval to convert will mean disconnecting the hard-wired stove and that legally decommissions it as a habitable dwelling.

You could of course demolish it.

Brazen.

I[ISo, once a granny flat is approved/erected, you cannot then subdivide the lot. You need to subdivide the lot first and then carry out the granny flat development on the lot(s) which are 450 sq m or more in site area.

Brazen.

This is good to know! So if you are thinking about putting a granny flat at the back you must subdivide first. I'm guessing Perth has the same rules? Anyone know?

Adding a granny flat could be one of the options I might look at doing so as to increase yield. That or subdivide and sell the rear as a vacant lot.

This is good to know! So if you are thinking about putting a granny flat at the back you must subdivide first. I'm guessing Perth has the same rules? Anyone know?

Adding a granny flat could be one of the options I might look at doing so as to increase yield. That or subdivide and sell the rear as a vacant lot.

Hi Alex,

You don't need to subdivide. In Perth the block must be green title or survey strata with no common property and over 450m2.
It might not be a good idea for your situation if you are still in the acquisition phase, generally you lose equity with granny flat builds.
Eg) property valued at 400k granny flat construction costs 100k
And after completion property with gf is only valued at 460k

I think your own the right track looking for a development site but in an outer ring area where yields are a bit stronger and you have a few options with what you can do.

Hi Alex,

You don't need to subdivide. In Perth the block must be green title or survey strata with no common property and over 450m2.
It might not be a good idea for your situation if you are still in the acquisition phase, generally you lose equity with granny flat builds.
Eg) property valued at 400k granny flat construction costs 100k
And after completion property with gf is only valued at 460k

I think your own the right track looking for a development site but in an outer ring area where yields are a bit stronger and you have a few options with what you can do.

Yeah I was wondering how it might effect the value. I won't go down that road then if that's the case!

Yep :). Ta

I see twodogs...

yea, there's a vitally important rule to be applied here.
Once you erect a granny flat in NSW you CANNOT subdivide. See SEPP rule below:
http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/maintop/view/inforce/epi+364+2009+cd+0+N

Clause 24 No subdivision

A consent authority must not consent to a development application that would result in any subdivision of a lot on which development for the purposes of a secondary dwelling has been carried out under this Division.

So, once a granny flat is approved/erected, you cannot then subdivide the lot. You need to subdivide the lot first and then carry out the granny flat development on the lot(s) which are 450 sq m or more in site area.

Just remember that access handles are not calculable as site area:
Schedule-1 Definitions: In calculating the area of a lot for the purposes of this Schedule, the area of the access laneway is excluded if it is a battle-axe lot.

Also, the rear block must be have a minimum width of 15 metres:
Site Requirements: If it is a battle-axe lot, has an access laneway of at least 3 metres in width and measuring at least 12 metres by 12 metres, excluding the access laneway

I hope I haven't garbled the answer!

Brazen.
Hi Brazen,
Can I strata title an existing attached Granny flat ?
Area 450 sqm,Camden council.
If yes then I can sell them separately?
Joe

Last edited:
Back