Granny Flats and Section 94 Contributions Explained

i was reading and article the other week in residential developer mag about "affordable" prefab housing and tottered around the various websites of the builders.

boy, they were expensive! even taking into account less holding costs during build and less onsite time, they were still dearer than a straight build and much much more expensive than a mobile home.

there must be a market out there for reasonably priced, "mobile home" look, prefab mobile home that granny would enjoy.

Yea, they're no cheaper in my experience (otherwise I'd direct my clients to them). They still need to build it and transport it; probably takes less time to receive delivery of a pre-cut kit and have it erected on-site.

If I get time, I'll call a few more Councils this week and add to the list. Apart from Byron Bay (sheesh) it looks pretty good for Section 94 Levies on granny flats.

Brazen.

Once you have a decent list Brazo I will be sending off to the Byron News letters for community comment. Keep up the good work. :)

Once you have a decent list Brazo I will be sending off to the Byron News letters for community comment. Keep up the good work. :)

Working on it Rockster...just been crazy busy the last 2 weeks.
I'm hoping ppl will call their own local Council and report here as well.

Randwick City Council:
NIL for developments costing up to $100,000

Note: I couldn't add this listing to the main post. Is there a way I can add each Council as I find them plz?

Section 94

Hiya

Does anyone know if Hornsby council imposes S94 for granny flats?

The lady at the Planning section is adamant there are S94 charges , which will amount to 11000 for a 2 bedder...ouch!:eek:

I can't believe they are enforcing it where neighbouring councils like Ryde, Parramatta are not....

I spoke to a local builder and he says he has not been slugged..go figure.
When i mentioned to the lady at Planning, she insists i quote her the DA number in order to double check on this builder...i backed down as i do not want to get him into trouble...plus i do not know how to handle how these technical jargon thrown at me by the council...

Has it got something to do with the amount of works? or the fact that i have to submit a DA (develp appln) and not a CD (complying develop)?

Note: i had to do a DA and not a CD as half my house is in the bush fire zone:mad: A CD with the 10 day approval process would have been great...c'est la vie...sensitive NIMBY neighbours here i come!

Hiya

Does anyone know if Hornsby council imposes S94 for granny flats?

The lady at the Planning section is adamant there are S94 charges , which will amount to 11000 for a 2 bedder...ouch!:eek:

I can't believe they are enforcing it where neighbouring councils like Ryde, Parramatta are not....

I spoke to a local builder and he says he has not been slugged..go figure.
When i mentioned to the lady at Planning, she insists i quote her the DA number in order to double check on this builder...i backed down as i do not want to get him into trouble...plus i do not know how to handle how these technical jargon thrown at me by the council...

Has it got something to do with the amount of works? or the fact that i have to submit a DA (develp appln) and not a CD (complying develop)?

Note: i had to do a DA and not a CD as half my house is in the bush fire zone:mad: A CD with the 10 day approval process would have been great...c'est la vie...sensitive NIMBY neighbours here i come!

Apparently the levy is not charged @ Hornsby:

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/news/story/granny-flats-for-pittwater/
"To encourage the construction of secondary dwellings, section 94 contributions would not be levied."

Also from the Council website:
http://www.hornsby.nsw.gov.au/uploads/documents/Sec94DevContributionsPlan2007-2011.pdf

Section 94 Development Contributions Plan (2007-2011)
"2.12 Exemptions
Council may exempt developments, or components of developments, from the requirement for a contribution that include:
• Alterations and additions to a dwelling with a total value less than $100,000.
Affordable housing that meets council requirements.
Council will consider each application and determine if the application merits full or partial exemption."

Virgo,

I suggest you keep your inquiries to council as generic as possible and have a draftmans sort this stuff out for you instead.

In my opinion, I would have the builder build in accordance to the draftsman's specs, not have the draftsman fudge a drawing to suit the builder. Its the draftsman that lodging the paperwork to the private certifier to get it through approval and no draftsman is going want to put their licence at risk because a builder wants to do it their way.

Serge,

Is there anyway to get a granny flat approved in 10 days under a complying development in areas that are considered to be bush fire prone?

Serge,

Is there anyway to get a granny flat approved in 10 days under a complying development in areas that are considered to be bush fire prone?

Hi Nek,

Rockstar is quite right- it's a big no.
You just have to go a normal DA/CC if the land is classified as Bush-Fire Prone. This takes around 6-8 weeks to approve and costs more.

How about hurstville? :D

Hi m8,

I just did a job @ Hurstville Council and the answer is no, you don't have to pay any Section 94 Contributions.

Hurstville City Council have their own Granny Flat Development Control Policy Called the 'Extended Family Unit' Policy which allows 65 sq m; the State SEPP allows for 60 sq m of enclosed space (not including awnings. eaves, verandahs, carports and garages attached to the granny flat).

Cheers.

Section 94 and the merry go round

Hi Brazen

Just went to the Hornsby Council this morning and the town planner was very adamant they are charging S94 :( and have been charging...

Did point out this Section 2.12 and she was equally adamant it does not apply in the case of granny flats (go figure...)

I HATE COUNCILS :eek: they talk in such techie terms and sound so very aggressive to anyone who dare step up to put in a development application:mad:

Apparently the levy is not charged @ Hornsby:

Also from the Council website:
http://www.hornsby.nsw.gov.au/uploads/documents/Sec94DevContributionsPlan2007-2011.pdf

Section 94 Development Contributions Plan (2007-2011)
"2.12 Exemptions
Council may exempt developments, or components of developments, from the requirement for a contribution that include:
• Alterations and additions to a dwelling with a total value less than $100,000.
Affordable housing that meets council requirements.
Council will consider each application and determine if the application merits full or partial exemption."

Hornsby Council

Hornsby Council were charging Section 94 contributions for granny flats, but last week decided to exempt them if the construction costs are under $100,000.00.
We build granny flats all over Sydney, all built on site and designed to blend into the surrounding environment.
Most are brick / tile so look like little cottages.

Anne.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back