Granny Flats in Queensland

Hi Guys,

In September last year, the NSW government changed the State Environment Planning Policy to address affordable housing by allowing granny flats to be rented as dual occupancy. I think the size limit in NSW is 60m2.

I've been searching for a similar policy in Queensland and have found that the granny flat can be up to 70m2 - which is better, but can't find and information on whether the granny flat can be rented as in NSW.

Is this possible?

I guess if one was to go ahead and build the granny flat and have it approved by the local council then who's to know anyway. I don't think the RTA would bother checking whether the unit is an approved duplex?

Also, would there be any insurance issues with this? Would I need to put in a firewall between the main residence and the granny flat?

Cheers,

Bazza

Hi Baz, just build it and they will come.

I've never heard of the BCC and Moreton Regional Shire Council hassling anyone over who they rent a granny flat to....and I'm aware of over 30 houses with granny flats rented independently on the open market.

It's been 18 months since I checked, but they do state you are supposed to rent it to a relie. However, I don't know that councils allocate resources to enforcing it.

Some things to keep in mind.
- try to install separate power and water meters.
- design the structure so that it might be more easily strata-ed in the future. i.e. keep the flat and its carport to one side of the block, and put in a firewall compliant partition between the two. This isn't that expensive. As population pressure builds, LGAs are bound to relax regs on strata-ing. I have a rough plan I am prepared to share.

- try to put a second bedroom in the granny flat, because it rents better. doing so with <60m2 can be tricky, as you generally need a window on each bedroom and the bathroom/toilet. You can get around this by calling the 2nd bedroom a storage room or office, and cutting a hole through to the lounge or kitchen, and putting shutters or a constantina door across it. Then just advertise it as 2 bedrooms.

- carport/garage access can be tricky. dual driveways reduces street appeal and landscaping potential.
- try to design the front so it looks like an attractive single dwelling. will help your valuations.
- go open plan for the lounge/dining/kitchen.
- use a lot more glass to compensate the smaller floor plans.
- improve privacy with smart landscaping and hedges.
- reduce up front cost with a carport for the granny. can build in later if desired.

- be very selective when you put in tenants. They'll be in each other's face a little more than usual. A second bedroom is very desirable for divorced dads who have weekend access.

Hi Baz, just build it and they will come.

I've never heard of the BCC and Moreton Regional Shire Council hassling anyone over who they rent a granny flat to....and I'm aware of over 30 houses with granny flats rented independently on the open market.

It's been 18 months since I checked, but they do state you are supposed to rent it to a relie. However, I don't know that councils allocate resources to enforcing it.

Some things to keep in mind.
- try to install separate power and water meters.
- design the structure so that it might be more easily strata-ed in the future. i.e. keep the flat and its carport to one side of the block, and put in a firewall compliant partition between the two. This isn't that expensive. As population pressure builds, LGAs are bound to relax regs on strata-ing. I have a rough plan I am prepared to share.

- try to put a second bedroom in the granny flat, because it rents better. doing so with <60m2 can be tricky, as you generally need a window on each bedroom and the bathroom/toilet. You can get around this by calling the 2nd bedroom a storage room or office, and cutting a hole through to the lounge or kitchen, and putting shutters or a constantina door across it. Then just advertise it as 2 bedrooms.

- carport/garage access can be tricky. dual driveways reduces street appeal and landscaping potential.
- try to design the front so it looks like an attractive single dwelling. will help your valuations.
- go open plan for the lounge/dining/kitchen.
- use a lot more glass to compensate the smaller floor plans.
- improve privacy with smart landscaping and hedges.
- reduce up front cost with a carport for the granny. can build in later if desired.

- be very selective when you put in tenants. They'll be in each other's face a little more than usual. A second bedroom is very desirable for divorced dads who have weekend access.

I'm not sure the build it and they will come approach is the best way forward...whether or not they choose to enforce plannign laws now, doesn't stop them in the future...i'd recommend not building a castle though, the council, at least in Britain, don't really approve...

I'm not sure the build it and they will come approach is the best way forward...whether or not they choose to enforce plannign laws now, doesn't stop them in the future...i'd recommend not building a castle though, the council, at least in Britain, don't really approve...

Josh, LGAs have been actively encouraging these and they go a long way towards relieving rental undersupply.

It would be a brave and reckless LGA that changed tack, and bore the cost of 30 legal challenges from other PIers.

Granny flats have been on the open market for over 10 years.
weight that as you will.

Thanks WinstonWolfe for all your comments. Much appreciated.

I was thinking along the same lines - 2 bed, one bath and firewall in between but it is really difficult to fit it in 70m2 let alone 60m2. I would appreciate a look at your rough plan.

Do all Qld councils allow 70m2 granny flats?

Cheers,

Bazza

Josh, LGAs have been actively encouraging these and they go a long way towards relieving rental undersupply.

It would be a brave and reckless LGA that changed tack, and bore the cost of 30 legal challenges from other PIers.

Granny flats have been on the open market for over 10 years.
weight that as you will.

Hey WW

I don't really know the granny flat situation at all, I'm just a stickler for following the rules, if there are rules requiring approval of a granny flat then they should be followed...if the granny flats are built without the requisite planning authroity, surely a LGA cannot be subject to legal action if it chooses to enforce a law it previously didn't enforce? or am i missing the point here?

Thanks WinstonWolfe for all your comments. Much appreciated.

I was thinking along the same lines - 2 bed, one bath and firewall in between but it is really difficult to fit it in 70m2 let alone 60m2. I would appreciate a look at your rough plan.

Do all Qld councils allow 70m2 granny flats?

Cheers,

Bazza

Moreton Shire did have it at 60m2 18 mths ago, as did BCC from memory.
They may have increased that, depending on size of lot, GFA etc.
Should be on the Gold Coast council website, or just ring em, if that's where you are doing it.

60m2 is smallish for 2/1/1, but this size is common in upmarket suburbs of Melbourne and Sydney. If you use more glass and indoor/outdoor living space, then they are very livable and not claustrophobic at all.

Have been looking for builder's raw drafts of my original concept, but haven't found it yet. will pm you a link to my original sketches later today.

These thigns got popular over a decade ago because you only get hit for one set of rates. But I reckon councils will eventually wake up to getting their cut of the beef.

..if the granny flats are built without the requisite planning authroity, surely a LGA cannot be subject to legal action if it chooses to enforce a law it previously didn't enforce? or am i missing the point here?

Josh, I am not advocating building them without BA.
We are just discussing who to rent them to when they are completed.

Granny Flats

I have been trying to build a granny flat on my 2 1/2 acre block in Qld. The local council, Lockyer Regional, tell me that the area is to be only 50sqm.

I see from other areas this is actually 60sqm.

Can anyone inform me where I might go to get the correct size for a granny flat as far as the law is concerned in the state of QLD>

Should I or shouldn't I?

Hey guys,

I know this is an old thread, but it's something that's applicable to my situation. I have a highset IP in Beenleigh and I was planning to convert the downstairs area into a granny flat. However, today I ran into a couple of obstacles: (1) it's below the minimum height restriction; and (2) the rental manager advised me that you cannot have 2 separate leases on one property!

Before giving up on the idea, I'd like to get your opinion as to whether you would go ahead and build it and rent it separately. And if you do, what are the insurance issues and so forth.

Any feedback would be much appreciated...

Cheers,
dreamgirl

What are the insurance implications of doing this, setting aside the legal part of it for now. If someone got hurt or the building burned down, would the insurance company have a right to deny your claim because this was not legal?

Hey guys,

I know this is an old thread, but it's something that's applicable to my situation. I have a highset IP in Beenleigh and I was planning to convert the downstairs area into a granny flat. However, today I ran into a couple of obstacles: (1) it's below the minimum height restriction; and (2) the rental manager advised me that you cannot have 2 separate leases on one property!

Before giving up on the idea, I'd like to get your opinion as to whether you would go ahead and build it and rent it separately. And if you do, what are the insurance issues and so forth.

Any feedback would be much appreciated...

Cheers,

dreamgirl

I got one as well near that area, same scenario, was thinking of setting it up as a house share but just deal with upstairs and downstairs separately, solar power for electricity included in rent and just wear the water

I have been trying to build a granny flat on my 2 1/2 acre block in Qld. The local council, Lockyer Regional, tell me that the area is to be only 50sqm.

I see from other areas this is actually 60sqm.

Can anyone inform me where I might go to get the correct size for a granny flat as far as the law is concerned in the state of QLD>

This is a council matter, not the state.
Different councils have different rules.
Contact the local council for the area.
Marg

Back