Granny flats on the rise but neighbours unable to complain

boo-hoo
Bloody whingers.

That said, granny flats should be designed so that the windows that face the neighbours are minimal.

For my dad's one the window that face the neighbour was a tiny toilet window.
The one in picture could have done the same but they didn't.

That said, it wouldn't have changed the result, but there would be one less thing this a-hole of a neighbour could have complained about.

Its simply tall poppy syndrome.

The link I clicked on went to an article titled "Homeowner Angry As Neighbour Seeks Financial Independence Through The Creation of Positively Geared Property".

Not a very succinct title.

I agree with that article re the overlooking issue. If you build a new house you need to address overlooking but that GF looks like it was just passed without any consideration.

I understand people being unhappy at the loss of back yard privacy. I'd also be unhappy. Only an issue though if you have a low fence.

The solution would be for the offended back yard owner to plant a row of pencil pines along the back fence and after a bit of growth, you have most of your privacy back.

You can strategically position the pencil pines so they are directly opposite the offending GF windows :D

I agree with that article re the overlooking issue. If you build a new house you need to address overlooking but that GF looks like it was just passed without any consideration.

I think the dude has a right to be pissed. It looks like the GF is on land higher than his and may well be built up land.

I'm not sure what the certifier protocols are over there but in Perth that wouldn't be allowed. Thos windows would need to be highlight (start at 1600high sill) or obscured. Good design would also not do it.

Alternatively owner of the GF should have raised his side of the fence so that his side of the fence was at 1800 high from the ground level of the GF

I'm all for GF but that one is poor.

Wow, that is far too close to the fence line. I wouldn't be happy if those windows looked into my backyard. I would immediately get some cheap bamboo screening and put it up along the fence line. One would think that there was a minimum boundary requirement. This is where government laws and planning authorities have to catch up.

Alternatively owner of the GF should have raised his side of the fence so that his side of the fence was at 1800 high from the ground level of the GF

I'm all for GF but that one is poor.

Objectively speaking, the owner of the GF doesn't have to care about his neighbour.
If it's allowed by law, it's within his right to do it and milk it for all it's worth.

Wow, that is far too close to the fence line. I wouldn't be happy if those windows looked into my backyard. I would immediately get some cheap bamboo screening and put it up along the fence line. One would think that there was a minimum boundary requirement. This is where government laws and planning authorities have to catch up.

Anxious about being stalked are we?

pinkboy

Objectively speaking, the owner of the GF doesn't have to care about his neighbour.
If it's allowed by law, it's within his right to do it and milk it for all it's worth.

In this instance it's not clear if it is allowed by law. It mentions that private certifiers do the certifcation to what is the law but we don't know what the law is or if that should have been allowed.

Generally there is a parts of the design codes which are there to protect the privacy of neighbour if the dwelling is less than 6.5m from the boundary.

So I'm just curious if that dwelling in particular does comply.

I have neighbours to a development who were up in arms over 'overlooking' things BUT I met all the compliance so yes I milked it for all it's worth. Complying meant high windows, screens and obscured glass though

boo-hoo
Bloody whingers.

That said, granny flats should be designed so that the windows that face the neighbours are minimal.

For my dad's one the window that face the neighbour was a tiny toilet window.
The one in picture could have done the same but they didn't.

That said, it wouldn't have changed the result, but there would be one less thing this a-hole of a neighbour could have complained about.

Its simply tall poppy syndrome.

I take it you would be OK living next to the granny flat in the photo?

In this instance it's not clear if it is allowed by law. It mentions that private certifiers do the certifcation to what is the law but we don't know what the law is or if that should have been allowed.

Generally there is a parts of the design codes which are there to protect the privacy of neighbour if the dwelling is less than 6.5m from the boundary.

I have neighbours to a development who were up in arms over 'overlooking' things BUT I met all the compliance so yes I milked it for all it's worth. Complying meant high windows, screens and obscured glass though

So can the angry neighbour get some legal advice? Is there legislation the lawyer can look into eg
- GF must end X m from neighbour's fence.
- If GF has windows facing neighbouring property, bottom of windows must start from at least 2m.

Westminster - how high are your windows (from the bottom).
By obscured glass, do you mean frosted glass on an un-openable window or a 'glass wall'? Defeats the purpose if people can open the frosted glass window.

Theoretically private certifiers should be government-approved etc

Anyone who's complaining about living in the GF/neighbour's property has obviously never lived in the more densely-populated suburbs in sydney!

I didn't even blink when I saw that GF. Over here sometimes our balconies/porches are right next to each other. We could shake hands across balconies.

Anyone who's complaining about living in the GF/neighbour's property has obviously never lived in the more densely-populated suburbs in sydney!

I didn't even blink when I saw that GF. Over here sometimes our balconies/porches are right next to each other. We could shake hands across balconies.

And therein is the exact issue - people live in suburbia zoned low density specifically to not have people metres away with windows looking in

I have a 2 storey house overlooking my backyard straight into my living room. Seriously doesn't bother me.

I highly doubt those who are living in the granny flat in question would want to look into that guy's backyard and see him anyway.

Like i said, its NIMBY and/or Tall poppy.

I've dealt with people like this, it doesn't matter what you, if if you made higher fences, no windows, its simply the fact he doesn't like someone else having something he does not have.

All that said, that granny flat design does suck. For the ones I have had dealings with, I've ensured there are no windows (where possible) looking into a neighbours backyard. Where it is inevitable i'll use higher placed thinner wider frosted windows with higher 2.1m fences in the offending sections.

Just because its allowed because of the way the law interprets its doesn't make it ok.

If people keep doing stunts like this, pretty soon granny flats approvals will be back to DA's.

I normally walk around my backyard in my undies......I noticed that the overlooking neighbours quickly draw the curtains. Some problems have easy solutions lol.

I have a 2 storey house overlooking my backyard straight into my living room. Seriously doesn't bother me.

Same, my neighbours can look straight into my living room from their second story, doesn't really bother me but it probably bothers them when I walk around in my birthday suit LOL.

With respect, you're looking at it from a WA perspective. The granny flat legalisation is from the NSW State Government and basically trumps the councils powers. If the building size and offsets comply it must be approved in 10 days, and neighbours don't get a say.

The certifiers only have to run through a checklist.

Mmmm, not sure this is wise to admit, but that house/GF is less than 100m from where I live :eek:

It's facing backwards on the land to take advantage of "water glimpses" - the type where you need to squint on Saturday at 3pm while the westerly blows the tree branches aside long enough for a split second view ;)

But that's beside the point...

Perhaps a big 10ft high wall would fix the problem? :D

Back