Granny Flats



From: John O'Donoghue

When purchasing a property with a granny flat that doesn't have council approval. What liabilities can be brought forward to you and also in relation to insurance of the whole building, can this be affected etc . Also if something happens in relation to the tenant whilst they are occupying the premises.

Thanks John
Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1
From: Glenn Mott


Probably best to contact your council and just ask them what happens in this situation...just make sure not to tell them who you are or the property involved.

From doing the same thing with one of my properties in Perth, I found that the council were unable to enforce any changes upon subsequent owners who did not have non-compliant work carried out...phew!

Last edited by a moderator: