Gravity-feed water heater issues

I need to repair/replace leaking taps in the laundry. How do I close the hot water? I have Electric In-Roof Storage Water Heater – Gravity Feed possibly 20 years old. I looked everywhere and I don't see any valve which stops water flow. Do I need to drain the tank and then carry on with repairs? Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.:)

I'm no plumber, but you might have to turn off the water to the whole property at the tap beside the water meter at the front fence. Then come inside and turn on the hot water tap over a bath or whatever to drain the tank.

I need to repair/replace leaking taps in the laundry. How do I close the hot water? I have Electric In-Roof Storage Water Heater – Gravity Feed possibly 20 years old. I looked everywhere and I don't see any valve which stops water flow. Do I need to drain the tank and then carry on with repairs? Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.:)

I have a few of them. Pain in the whatsiname.
You will need to shut off the water inlet tap to stop it filling up, then turn on your hot water until it stops running.
This doesn't empty the entire tank, only the header tank, from what I understand.
Your challenge will be to find the tap that stops the inflow. If there isn't one. just turn off the main water valve.
Best of luck!

Couple of things, yes usually you have to drain them, but a warning here you have to be sure that the power is off in case the time clock for the off peak rate is out of sync. This would lead to a blown element with no water surrounding it.

The other thing you can do is run the hot tap until the temp drops, turn on all other hot taps to reduce flow then change the valve quickly.:)

Hi Firefox

Follow Robs advice, it's only the header tank that drains,

The main tank remains full and the elements are not at risk.

There is usually a stop tap on an external wall with the water line leading up to the tank.

Cheers

Pete

Yes, sorry, you only have to equalise the levels in the tanks as the hot water comes off the top of the main tank. For some reason I kept thinking you have to drain the whole system, as you do when changing an element.

You would reckon I would know better coming from two generations of gravity hot water manufacturers.:eek:

For some reason I kept thinking you have to drain the whole system, as you do when changing an element.
You would reckon I would know better coming from two generations of gravity hot water manufacturers.:eek:

Sometimes you don't even need to do that. The one's I've replaced have been inside a copper sheath, the the element can be replaced without draining the tank.

I managed to exchange the valve quickly while the water was running. If that would not work the plan B was as you guys advise, stop the inflow and drain the header tank.... Thanks again.

Back