Great children's films

This is a continuation of the current favourite films discussion started by topcropper from here.

So here are some of my favourite/best children’s films, in no particular order:

Live Action Films

A Little Princess (Alfonso Cuaron, 1995, USA): This is a jewel of children’s cinema and a tribute to what can be achieved when equal artistic standards are applied to a children’s film as for an adult one. Due to poor marketing at its release, it has taken a while for this to become better known. From the magical opening where a girl recounts the Ramayana, to its arresting set design, first rate soundtrack, and a winning cast, it is a testament to the power of a child’s unleashed imagination in overcoming adversity. See this clip, particularly from 2:30 onwards, and also the amazing snow dance scene at about 6:45. Cuaron has since gone on to more famous films such as Harry Potter 3, Children of Men and Y Tu Mama Tambien ;).
The Secret Garden (Agniezska Holland, 1993, USA): Another high quality adaptation of a Frances Hodgson Burnett novel. Can be watched in conjunction with A Little Princess.
Matilda (Danny de Vito, 1996, USA): A fine adaptation of Roald Dahl’s classic children’s novel, which comes as close as any adaptation to capturing the anarchy and wildness of Dahl’s children’s books. Of course, a moral about the importance of reading, doesn’t hurt either.
The Neverending Story (Wolfang Peterson, Germany/USA 1984): A childhood staple, and another that delves into the power of reading and the imagination. The book is even better, though.
E.T. (Steven Spielberg, 1982, USA): Not much more to say here.
The Wizard of Oz (Victor Fleming, 1939, USA): Ditto
The Colour of Paradise (Majid Majidi, 1999, Iran): A blind boy who despite receiving abundant love from his extended family still yearns for his father’s affection. As though to compensate for the boy’s blindness, the film is shot with saturated colours and an awe of the natural world. See the trailer to get a glimpse of the cinematography. Also see Majidi’s The Children of Heaven (1997) or the even finer Where is the Friend’s House? (Abbas Kiarostami, 1987, Iran).
Red Balloon (Albert Lamorisse, 1956, France), White Mane (Albert Lamorisse, 1953, France): These are beautifully and poetic films with minimal dialogue and remain classics.

Animated Films
The Lion King (Walt Disney Pictures, 1994, USA): A high water mark in Disney’s animation (in an era that included The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and Aladdin), with fantastic songs, and a magnificently told bildungsroman.
Toy Story (Pixar, 1995, USA): If The Lion King was a high water mark of hand-drawn animation then Toy Story is the dawn of a new era in animation. I could pick many Pixar films, but this is the first one that really made its mark.
Pinocchio (Walt Disney Pictures, 1940, USA): An iconic film from Disney’s first golden era. Could easily include Snow White and Bambi in this class.
Spirited Away (Hayao Miyazki, 2001, Japan): An Alice in Wonderland-style story. Highly imaginative, beautifully animated by the Studio Ghibli company. A joy to behold I also recommend My Neighbour Totoro (1988), and Ponyo (2008).
The Grave of the Fireflies (Isao Takahata, 1988, Japan): A young boy and his sister struggle to survive in war-torn Tokyo. One of the great animated films about war. Heartbreaking too.
Azur and Asmar (Michel Ocelot, 2006, France): It is an adventure and a quest between two men who have been playmates since childhood, and are now rivals. Some of the most purely beautiful animation I’ve seen. View trailer here.

Hope you find this useful. Please share some other great children’s films.

Last edited:
I loved my first ever movie at a cinema, partly because of the experience and partly the movie - The Railway Children, 1970, aged 9.

Just wanted to thank you for mentioning non main stream/non English speaking movies. While I watch a lot of 'foreign' adult films I wasn't aware of any children's ones. I've since 'acquired' the ones you've mentioned. :rolleyes: and they look/sound great.

So here are some of my favourite/best children’s films, in no particular order:

Live Action Films

A Little Princess (Alfonso Cuaron, 1995, USA): This is a jewel of children’s cinema and a tribute to what can be achieved when equal artistic standards are applied to a children’s film as for an adult one. Due to poor marketing at its release, it has taken a while for this to become better known. From the magical opening where a girl recounts the Ramayana, to its arresting set design, first rate soundtrack, and a winning cast, it is a testament to the power of a child’s unleashed imagination in overcoming adversity.
The Secret Garden (Agniezska Holland, 1993, USA): Another high quality adaptation Frances Hodgson Burnett novel. Can be watched in conjunction with A Little Princess.
The Colour of Paradise (Majid Majidi, 1999, Iran): A blind boy who despite receiving abundant love from his extended family still yearns for his father’s affection. As though to compensate for the boy’s blindness, the film is shot with saturated colours and an awe of the natural world. See the trailer to get a glimpse of the cinematography. Also see Majidi’s The Children of Heaven (1997) or the even finer Where is the Friend’s House? (Abbas Kiarostami, 1987, Iran).
Red Balloon (Albert Lamorisse, 1956, France), White Mane (Albert Lamorisse, 1953, France): These are beautifully and poetic films with minimal dialogue and remain classics.

Hope you find this useful. Please share some other great children’s films.

The original Karate Kid movie!!!!!!!!!

I think that had so many messages. Friendship in unlikely places from unlikely people, new kid at school trying to make friends, dating age, bullying, class distinction and discrimination, learning lessons even though they are not obvious at first, success through hard work and determination, earning respect and so on.

Wax on, wax off.............

And Labyrinth. Both fantastic movies.

Back