Great hits from 80s 90s and today?

Hey everyone,

Im not a long time poster by ive come to appreciate those who are by there own account. Im wondering why the quality old posters have left and what it would take to keep the ones we have left around??

People come and go for many a reason but im keen to have the old timers stick around. And even though they dont know it yet the newbies should be equally keen.

I propose we add a score or status board to Somersoft. Something that acknowledges those that giveth. I liken the experience to my sons latest toy the xbox. He gets achievements for his ability on something called xbox live.

So anytime some ask a question and recieves a answer they recieve permanent status points... These points would be helpful to those who have a service to sell such brokers.

So instead of saying thank you(which is still great) we can make it a permanent feature by hitting an approval button next to there name. Again business savy people can leverage this if they choose.

There would also be a disapproval button and if a user/spammer got enough disapprovals there name would be wiped. It makes perfect sense if you think about it in a real world way.

Interested in your thoughts? Im keen to reward the old timers for they contribution...anyone else?:)

There are green lights up the top of this message box right hand side. These are Kudos points. you can check by going to user cp on top left of screen and check out whom has given you kudos.

There are green lights up the top of this message box right hand side. These are Kudos points. you can check by going to user cp on top left of screen and check out whom has given you kudos.

There in lies the problem. Its a great system. It just isnt implemented right. We all know that in business or in life its about the execution.

There needs to be a button front and centre. Newbies arent going to rummage around for something like that i believe. Flip ive been here for 2 years i didnt even know that.

I did see the bar but, all it ment to me was that it was a green bar:confused: You cant miss a button next to your name that says "approve" "disappove" . I know factually a system like that would work because one of the most successfull web 2.0 sites out there built its core, on this very notion.

www.digg.com

Front and centre is the key here. Easy access. I bet if you asked any newbie on SS they wouldnt have the faintest idea what that bar meant. Which is a shame since its an opportunity lost for people such as yourself.

to give people real thank yous... 2 years of missed opportunity all because of poor UI design. Never to late to learn but still. For things as important(i think) as this it should/could be done better.

Please note that i wish of this feature for others because i treasure there advice. Im still fresh of the boat so no kudos for me till i can swim myself :)

Found a great idea for a "button name" after watching the footy show

"Thats gold"

Hitting the botton would say 1 of 3 things or all 3 at once.

1 - This person knows there stuff. Genius. Cheers
2 - Thanks for the help
3 - Your awsome thanks for the share

They all say thank you but each can be attributed with diff level of appreciation or points.

Id really like to show my appreciation:D *Get your minds out of the gutter*
by putting something in stone so to speak. Again it needs to be front and centre. Im sure everyones aware of digg icons. The Digg button works magic because its right in front of you or at the end of a sentence its a simple click and bang...acknowledgement.

Again not for me(one day tho) but for those who give away free advice that is literally gold :)

Must have had a different idea when I read the title, was dissappointed when I read the posts it was about SS. I was ready to jump in with Steve Winwood's - If you see a chance take it and AHA's - Take On Me

Jezza

Id really like to show my appreciation:D *Get your minds out of the gutter*
by putting something in stone so to speak. Again it needs to be front and centre. Im sure everyones aware of digg icons. The Digg button works magic because its right in front of you or at the end of a sentence its a simple click and bang...acknowledgement.
Again not for me(one day tho) but for those who give away free advice that is literally gold :)

You want to write something on my tombstone? lol :confused:
In this game the score is kept by each one of us, in our own way.

I'm not sure that your getting what many around here actually do.
They don't want to be "front and centre", they don"t have services to sell or
do seminars (I have no issue with what ppl do for a living), nor need anyone's approval or "aknowledgement".
They come here to talk about investing (mainly in RE) and view& discuss different viewpoints.

You want to write something on my tombstone? lol :confused:
In this game the score is kept by each one of us, in our own way.

I'm not sure that your getting what many around here actually do.
They don't want to be "front and centre", they don"t have services to sell or
do seminars (I have no issue with what ppl do for a living), nor need anyone's approval or "aknowledgement".
They come here to talk about investing (mainly in RE) and view& discuss different viewpoints.

someone once said...quote" That's is certainly your opinion. I can always have my own."

I don't shine all members under the same
light PB. Someone as modest and upstanding as yourself wouldn't need
such a system. But it is proven fact that any achievement systems have some
weight. I was once awarded honors in underwater breath holding. Very competitve bunch of kids at 4years old

long story short. It's a badge I wear proudly to this day. Front and centre:p

so I atest to such a system. I knew someone would come
out and say "aww shucks reeco us ol folk aren't like
that"

my point is were all human. I never said u couldn't opt out of such a system. People like yourself can do a Yoda and be all wise and omnipresent. That's cool. I dig that. You might wanna give your kudos back PB before you do :)

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

Im not a long time poster by ive come to appreciate those who are by there own account. Im wondering why the quality old posters have left and what it would take to keep the ones we have left around??

I've been here for a while, and have found that my interest here ebbs and flows.

Just human nature I guess.

The other thing is how busy you are. Lately I have been very busy, hence my lack of posts (some might be thankful for that :D).

I think the "give kudos" function should be easier to locate for the newbies. It took me quite a while to find it; had to ask someone in the end.

Maybe have the button for it on the main page of each person's thread/post.

I've been here for a while, and have found that my interest here ebbs and flows.

Just human nature I guess.

The other thing is how busy you are. Lately I have been very busy, hence my lack of posts (some might be thankful for that :D).

I think the "give kudos" function should be easier to locate for the newbies. It took me quite a while to find it; had to ask someone in the end.

Maybe have the button for it on the main page of each person's thread/post.

Agree. Took me near on 2years before i knew what a kudo was. Someone gave me one and didnt even know:D

Glad pple like yourselves are arond though bayview. It maybe chatter to yourself but theres nuggets in them words :)

Reeco, you'll find that quote in my sig.

Sure we're all human and we all like praise.
But not everybody likes to be on a stage.
In my experience most I know who have done very well for themselves would run at the thought of anything of their doing be ever discussed publicly.
Just like Dazz's quiet friends, I find in this game the more people achieve, the lower profile they go.
Unless they are selling or plan on selling something.
The score for this game is $$.
If you want to show your score buy a Bentley with a suitcase of cash and park it in the driveway
Then buy a Coastal Sports Cruiser with what's left and park it in the waterway just behind the house.
Here's some suggestions for awards & trophies:

2005_Bentley_ContinentalGT_ext_1.jpg

2_2.jpg

106442211ml1270069800.jpg

I give plenty kudos, and I've recvd plenty more back as well.
Maybe as Bayview says make the button more obvious, maybe make the pic gold in colour or change the pic.

Must have had a different idea when I read the title, was dissappointed when I read the posts it was about SS. I was ready to jump in with Steve Winwood's - If you see a chance take it and AHA's - Take On Me

Jezza

Me too, Jezza. Aerosmith - I don't want to miss a thing; Cold Chisel - When the war is over; ACDC - Shook me all night long. I could go on and on (and often do):p

cheers

Sure we're all human and we all like praise.
But not everybody likes to be on a stage.
In my experience most I know who have done very well for themselves would run at the thought of anything of their doing be ever discussed publicly.
Just like Dazz's quiet friends, I find in this game the more people achieve, the lower profile they go.

What he said! ;)

cheers

I give plenty kudos, and I've recvd plenty more back as well.
Maybe as Bayview says make the button more obvious, maybe make the pic gold in colour or change the pic.

Its great to know you get kudos. No point having or giving them if one doesnt have a clue what they are.

Maybe im not as smart as yourself...but like i said earlier. It took me 2 years before i finally came to know what they were. Do you get what im trying to say there?

I know ya do ....im just sayin:)

As for the quiet achievers. I thought that was a given in most cases? I have friends such as you describe. Rich and humble and wear thongs into a ferrari store.

I didnt compute your message with the house though. I do compute that agree with my idea. Just in your own way;) *waitin for my xmas kudo if anyones in the giving mode*

There would also be a disapproval button and if a user/spammer got enough disapprovals there name would be wiped.

Also provided. That's the little road sign triangle exclamation mark thingy in the top right of each comment.

Press it when you see a spam post and see what happens.

I didnt compute your message with the house though. I do compute that agree with my idea. Just in your own way;) *waitin for my xmas kudo if anyones in the giving mode*

What I meant is that imo if "awards" and "acknowledgement" is what is desired, then a house like that one in Sylvania Waters (that one is for sale) with a Bentley and Merc out the front and a cruiser out the back should get plenty of it.
We measure the results in currency and lifestyle.
The house and it's location for many is just as important as the soccer trophy on the mantle piece, and psychologically similar.
For others it's a Gucci handbag, or Tiffany (Tiffany gurls you who you are...).
I have nothing at all against people buying that stuff, if they got the money great, if they have'nt even better: another cheap distressed sale coming up.

That house is for sale btw. I gotta say it does look pretty nice, mite go and have a look myself thou probly a little over my budget.
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-sylvania+waters-105903620?tm=1270358068&c=75386422

And I gave you Xmas kudos for that very wise quote from a "name known to all" :p

That house is for sale btw. I gotta say it does look pretty nice, mite go and have a look myself thou probly a little over my budget.
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-sylvania+waters-105903620?tm=1270358068&c=75386422

And I gave you Xmas kudos for that very wise quote from a "name known to all" :p

xmas has come early. yay for me. Id acknowledge you kindlyin return sir but i dunno how :) ....if only there were a button :D

good thing you dont subscribe to such silly notions. But please feel free to giveth the kudo. Im very happy to taketh :D

Whats the price? Better yet what would you pay...Im more of Northern Man myself. Neutral Bay and the like having lived there myself. If i could afford id go Oyster Bay. Built a home there a few moons ago. Not bad. Sylvania jus a little to steep IMO.

If you give wanting something in return, then it's a payment (or bribe) not a gift. :)

And I never said I don't have my trophies, only that each of us does it it their own way.

Whats the price? Better yet what would you pay...Im more of Northern Man myself. Neutral Bay and the like having lived there myself. If i could afford id go Oyster Bay. Built a home there a few moons ago. Not bad. Sylvania jus a little to steep IMO.
My guess around 3.5-4mil
Anything similar in Neutral Bay is much more expensive, and Sylvania W is a much nicer setting imo.
Oyster Bay & Kangaroo point are similar in prices, though SW still seems nicer to me.
Of course my opinion may not take into account the "snob" factor of the neighbours, but annoying could also be a fun factor lol
$3mil is also 75k per year for 40 yrs.
Or 100k for 30 years while (for some) happy living out in the burbs close to friends & family.

Im wondering why the quality old posters have left and what it would take to keep the ones we have left around??

There would also be a disapproval button and if a user/spammer got enough disapprovals there name would be wiped. It makes perfect sense if you think about it in a real world way.

The first comment i agree with, it's a shame to see some of the older posters drop off. I'd love if a few came back and shared their thoughts as they were valuable to the forum.

However, the second i don't. This is because people have different views. For example, some here will love me, others will hate me. As with all the posters here, although some will have more that hate them rather than love them. This also would include long time valuable posters. They could be brilliant and valuable, although the way the execute their posts isn't the best, therefore people take offence rather than reading in between the lines. (We are ALL guilty of this)

Also, there are a lot of people (such as myself) that like a lot of people, and agree with their posts but are slack at giving out kudos, so their name could potentially be wiped because people wouldn't bother giving kudos.

There in lies the problem. Its a great system. It just isnt implemented right. We all know that in business or in life its about the execution.

There needs to be a button front and centre. Newbies arent going to rummage around for something like that i believe. Flip ive been here for 2 years i didnt even know that.

Once again, first part i agree with, it should be easier to locate as many who haven't had someone to show them where the "Kudos" button is probably won't know.

However, you have not been here for 2 years, just been over a year - Feb 2009, unless you're like me (i've been here for 4 years but i used to be Little Sk8er, therefore it says i've been here since 2008??)

Anyway, point being, sites aren't always perfect and you can't make everyone happy.

Back