Great PM's in Brisbane (northside - Boondall area)

I am about to rent out my PPOR, Brisbane north in the Boondall area. First time as a landlord (never been a tennant either) so I am a real novice about this....can anyone recommend someone good who can look after most of it for me (or answer any ridiculous beginner questions I might have!!)? I am also living and working out of town so will be relying solely on the PM to keep an eye on it.

My brother uses Prorentals, but they don't have a lot of properties in this area and his feelings about them are mixed so I was hoping to get some other names to look into.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

pipsal:)

P.S. I know this question belongs in a different discussion, but in case someone with local info reads this msg and not the other - do you have a good PI accountant/financial planner in the Brisbane (north pref) area that you can recommend? I need to work out tax implications of renting out PPOR prior to fulfilling first home duty concessions etc, so sort of need tax and financial advice....

I use Carolyn Altoft who works at Northside First National in Nundah to manage my property in Banyo. She has been excellent in the 2+ years I have been using her.

Ben

I use Carolyn Altoft who works at Northside First National in Nundah to manage my property in Banyo. She has been excellent in the 2+ years I have been using her.

Ben

I currently have Peta Hillier from the same office managing my unit. No complaints here - seems pretty proactive.

I am about to rent out my PPOR, Brisbane north in the Boondall area. First time as a landlord (never been a tennant either) so I am a real novice about this....can anyone recommend someone good who can look after most of it for me (or answer any ridiculous beginner questions I might have!!)? I am also living and working out of town so will be relying solely on the PM to keep an eye on it.

My brother uses Prorentals, but they don't have a lot of properties in this area and his feelings about them are mixed so I was hoping to get some other names to look into.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

pipsal:)

I think think http://www.ljgrealestate.com.au/ are the best. They are hands on owners an focus only on PM.

P.S. I know this question belongs in a different discussion, but in case someone with local info reads this msg and not the other - do you have a good PI accountant/financial planner in the Brisbane (north pref) area that you can recommend? I need to work out tax implications of renting out PPOR prior to fulfilling first home duty concessions etc, so sort of need tax and financial advice....

I think think http://www.ljgrealestate.com.au/ are the best. They are hands on owners an focus only on PM.

What kind of fees are you charged for these PM's?
So far I have seen 3 agents and been quoted:

1. 8.8% (incl gst), no advertising or admin costs ongoing, 1 wk rent plus gst lease fee.

2. 8.8% (incl gst), 1 wk rent letting fee, $5?/mth admin?, and 3 mths free property management intro. deal, not sure about advertising costs.

3. 9.35% (incl gst), $7 a month admin etc, 1 wk letting fee, not sure about advertising - think it might be part of $7.

Two of these are realestate agent offices, the other is a PM only company. I thought that PM only was dearer, but more dedicated service (as its their core business rather than house sales...) and they were more expensive, but they are all pretty much the same - and it is one of the RE agencies that is dearer!

Are these pretty standard prices? Also, do you tink it is a disdvantage to get a PM from a different area (ie. otherside of town, 40min drive)? The PM company is based a fair way from me, and I notice that they have very few properties that they manage on the northside of Brisbane. I wonder if this wouldn't make it a less appealing property to manage, and therefore get less looking after unless needed due to the distance/time? Is a local PM better? Or a PM that is part of a chain group?

Choose a PM you can work with

Because you will be interstate, you need to choose someone who is on the same wave length as you.

It's not what you pay, it's what you get for what you pay that counts.

My recommendation is to try and talk to the property manager that will be looking after your property. And talk to the Principal as well - if you don't get a good communication at the start with your PM (not some business development manager who just has sales a spiel) - don't expect to down the track...If the principal doesn't want to know you...well, you decide.

Find out what service guarantees they have in place.

This is your first time, so you want as much transparency as possible. For example, I run with a system where client can view most of their details online - updated every 24-48 hours, with a secure log in - ask those agencies if they are willing to be as transparent?

Ask a lot of questions - as a first time landlord, you may either want to know what is happening at your property regularly until you are comfortable that it is being properly managed.

Whoever you choose, if they turn out to be no good - move your property.

About agencies in the area of your property - again, everyone owner is different. Just because they are around the corner, doesn't mean they will do what they need to do. I took over a group of properties for one owner from a northside franchise group and found from the tenants that no inspection was done in the 2 years prior...they were not far away.

Good luck on your search, PM me if you want a list of questions to ask.

Pipsal, I would try to make the time to visit the business's, and while there observe how the staff reactwith clients and customers, as well as them selves, and then speak with the PM's including the senior one, as well as the principal if they are present. I am sure thatyour observations and feelings will guide you.

Pipsal, who did you end up going with? How did you find dealing with them?

Any other recommendations people? We are up in Brisbane soon, and would like to tee up times to meet some property managers as we will be buying an IP in the Boondall/Banyo/Nudgee/Zillmere area.

TIA

Whoever you choose, make sure that the PM is activly looking after your property.
I am a tenant & 5 weeks ago I advised the PM that there was a reasonably major issue with the fully ducted A/C - Heating system.

The PM did nothing about it for 2 wks & then I started to push, because the heating didn't work properly & I was cold.
Finally the PM arranged for the A/C repairer to come out earlier this week & they said that it's going to be very expensive because they were not contacted earlier.
So now the owner is up for a very hefty repair bill in excess of $4k. If sorted sooner after I advised the PM, the bill could have been as low as $1k.

Back