Grotty tenants given a second chance?

So a bit of background on what's happened to date:

Tenants have been constantly late on rent every month, until recently where they breached the 2 weeks or whatever they had to pay the balance. Upon inspection by agent, they discovered they had more than the allowed number of pets on the property.

Since they were in breachx2, I elected to have them evicted straight away and to my surprise they left the property promptly. Unfortunately the place is in bad shape. I have inspected the property along with the agent.

A few of the issues the agent and I have noted:
- EVERY wall, especially around corners and light switches is dirty and soiled. Looks like someone with black oiled hands went around the house and touched all the walls. Marks don't come out with sugar soap scrub, though magic eraser helps.
- All the curtains are stained and soiled, with cat pee and fur stuck on them at eye level.
- There's ketchup? and coke? dried on the door jambs, dead flies in window sills, dead cockroach in the rangehood. They set the rangehood on fire one day after falling asleep whilst frying chips. They replaced it with another rangehood, but it's a slide-out unit instead of the original under-canopy one, so the cabinet doors don't line up now and there's about a 130mm gap.
- Grout is all stained in black soot from fire (they're white subway tiles with white grout) and they've tried bleaching it to no avail. Also tried to cover up the sooty white sealant with some tan coloured sealant. No idea how they thought that was a good idea.....
- Tried to 'touch up' some parts of the wall with ceiling white I left in the shed. Used the paint brush, tray and roller in shed to dry so they had to be thrown away too.
- Snapped the clips off a fitting within the Smeg dishwasher - luckily I found it and the fitting was replaced....kinda stays in place now.
- There's dog poo in the yard and probably 100+ cigarette butts, filters, roll paper, trash, polystyrene bean bag beans etc scattered all around the yard, including a pair of boxer shorts, beer bottle.
- Purposely bent spoon - looks like it was used for cooking heroin or something
- AC filter completely gummed up in really thick blanket of dust, fan blades covered in dust
- Light bulbs missing, smoke alarms torn off their mountings and batteries missing
- Dried gum and poo on skirting boards and hardwood timber floors (thank god I don't have any carpet!) that needed to be scraped/chiselled off. Scratches on stairs and deck from dog claws.
- Place smells like wet dog and cigarettes. Urgh.
- Burn marks on vanity sink basin probably from dropping cigarettes in there

Seems like they can afford foxtel, cigarettes, alcohol, and possibly heroin (all things I don't spend money on) but couldn't afford to pay rent on time. Funny thing was, when they vacated they 'magically' paid their owing rent, probably so it wouldn't go down on record when I deducted it from their bond.

At the agent's request, I've allowed the tenants to come back with the agent to 'clean up' the place 1 week after they vacated and handed the keys back. What happens after the tenants 'clean' and it's still grotty? I take it they could still 'dispute' my claim if I wanted the cost of a professional cleaner to go through the house? Would you push to have the cost of a professional cleaner go through the property and cost deducted from the bond instead of letting the tenants back in? Do I have to let them back in, especially after they've vacated and keys left behind?

Urgh, the joys of bogan trash:rolleyes:

Sounds absolutely horrid and the best news is that the rent is paid and they're gone!

In VIC we have to allow the tenant the opportunity to remedy the condition of the property prior to sending in trades. It sounds as though they won't be able to fix everything up to a good enough standard (If they live like this I doubt they know what a sponge and bottle of bleach look like let alone own a bucket). In my experience I have always had professional cleaners through after the tenant if it wasn't good enough and claimed the expenses from the bond at VCAT. Normally I get awarded most but not all of the cleaning. The damages may be covered by your landlord insurance, including the incorrect rangehood that has gone in and the smoke damage.

Give them the opportunity to try, if it isn't good enough get professional cleaners in (you'll never get good tenants if the property is dirty), get quotes for all of the damages and speak to your insurance (or get your PM to) and see what is covered by your policy. Get the place fixed up and back on the market and get some non bogan trash tenants in there!

The payment of rent really confuses me, surely they can't think they would get a good rental reference even with making payment?!?!?

Just do what all residential Landlords do.

Get in there with mops and buckets and vacuum cleaners and start cleaning.

Your new prospective Tenants couldn't give a flying rats who was in there or what they did or how they left it. They just want it sparkling again.

Get scrubbing.

So I found this under the house:

2hhgnsi.jpg

Whilst demolishing a BIR in a room, I came across a syringe stuffed between the door frame and the lintel, tip and all exposed! If my hand had been 10cm to the left I may have been jabbed by the needle tip. Same cupboard had some suspicious antibiotics prescribed to the tenant - looks like they could have had some kind of STI.

Agent gave the tenants a chance to come back and clean. Did an average job....an improvement over before, but they got into my cupboard, stole all my mops, brooms, buckets, brooms, detergents, rubbish bin, etc......So glad I didn't take my unopened $700 Dyson over there, lol. Anyways, I had a bit of a chuckle.

Ahh, this is very familiar to me. we found lots of these at our house that got trashed last year. Apparently the local dealer was living there too :eek: (not on the lease). It is sad that people want to live that way, but what can you do? Hopefully your house is in a growth area and at some point your pain will pay off.
Is it in Caboolture? lol

How did outgoing report compare to incoming? As you got the rent paid up, pay an end of lease clean to the value of say 75% of bond to allow for anything else that may crop up or any reductions by QCAT.

NOte that LL insurance doesnt cover cleaning costs, they say to take that out of bond

Whilst demolishing a BIR in a room, I came across a syringe stuffed between the door frame and the lintel, tip and all exposed! If my hand had been 10cm to the left I may have been jabbed by the needle tip. Same cupboard had some suspicious antibiotics prescribed to the tenant - looks like they could have had some kind of STI.

Agent gave the tenants a chance to come back and clean. Did an average job....an improvement over before, but they got into my cupboard, stole all my mops, brooms, buckets, brooms, detergents, rubbish bin, etc......So glad I didn't take my unopened $700 Dyson over there, lol. Anyways, I had a bit of a chuckle.
Refreshing to hear that we are producing better, and better specimens of humans each passing decade.

Reading this makes me just want to pay for cleaners.... few bucks isn't worth a STD.

I always start each property professionally cleaned (receipt for proof) so when first tenant vacates they must return it in the same condition. If not then all cleaning bills come out of bond and same story for next tenant.

Back