Ground Floor Extension & Removing Internal Walls

Hi All,

Trying to work out ball park costs for a brick ground floor extension (living space) of 30-40 square m's.

And also what it costs to remove and/or build an internal wall. Say about 3ms of wall? I know it gets more complicated / expensive if it's load bearing, but a rough idea would be helpful.

Thanks,

MF35

i would allow $1000 to $1200 per lineal metre for wall removal obviously if there is services in wall which need relocating or wall is load bearing it will be dearer

as for a m2 rate for ground floor living area extension you i would allow $1250 - $1500 m2 though there are many variables depending on site/ location/ council/ finishes etc etc

Hi Sports Fan,

Thanks for the info.

Do you have a rough idea what the rate would likely go up to if the wall being removed was load bearing?

Also, how much to put up an internal wall?

MF35

Agree with Sports Fan... I just got two load-bearing walls removed - with 3 beams installed... the cost above was right... BUT: we needed to spend extra for:
- repairing the timber where the walls were
- repairing the skirting boards
- rubbish removal
- relocating power ($150 a pop)
- painting (cost is just for removal).

For what it's worth, we're thrilled with the results and at the end of the day thought the total $$ spent was cheaper than we thought, for such an impact.

Good luck with it!

with what your asking its impossible to give accurate figures without knowing what type of construction your talking about - double brick, brick veneer, light weight etc.

your best shot is getting 2 or 3 local builders around to quote for you, if you can post some photos, measurements, site details and a brief and il breakdown the costs for you i work as estimator for an extension company

Thanks for the replies.

I'm looking to come up with a realistic budget for the renovation of a potential purchase. We don't own it yet so I'm only really looking to make sure I know about what it will cost me to fix it up and add the extension. The cosmetic reno (floors, paint, bathrooms & kitchen etc) I've got a reasonable idea about. It's the extension, removal of walls (particularly if they're load bearing) and adding of an internal wall that I'm not so sure about. Archicentre estimates quote a range of about $1000 - $2000 per square metre. Working off the top end of that for an extension is a starting point.

The Extension at it's largest would be about 7.5m x 6m = 45m2. The rest of the home is brick so we would likely go with a brick construction. What type of brick we're yet to decide subject to cost and advice from builders etc.

Can't really provide much more at this stage. Yes I'll be taking a builder around to have a look and I'm going to cough up for a building inspection. Might have a better idea about the details after that.

Thanks,

MF35

extension work is difficult, as its not somthing you can read from a book, it usually consists of joining an old build with new materials, older builder can do this very well , but the younger ones struggle,
every time i get quotes , say brickies, at $1 per brick + sills + piers ,now in canberra.
seems to me that nothing is under $1000 now sparkies, plumbers, etc..
and the time in these extensions, is incredible, it just gets eaten up with time!!
the products are cheap, but at say $47 hr, rates + gst, and callouts, every bill i get is nearer the $1,000 mark,
so extension prices in canberra get up to about, $1,650 m2 for average finnishes ????:confused:

Back