Growing up poor

Procreating is a significant societal responsiblity that should not be just left for anyone. Just like if you want to drive a car, you and your car need to pass certain tests and standards. Otherwise, there are adverse consequences for society at large.

Speaking of disinterested parents (why have kids at all if that's your attitude, I say); one of my son's mate's Mother was bleating to us (and she's a Mrs.Thong in trakkies and moccies type I'll add) about how her 7 year old daughter was struggling with her spelling at school.

So, the school have sent her a note, or a phone call (can't remember now) asking her to spend more time helping the child with spelling and reading at home....

Her sooky comment to us was "It's the bloody school's job to teach her to read and spell; not mine". :eek:

This doesn't surprise me as I've heard it before when I worked in not so desirable areas in Sydney's West. Very sad.

I also used to work with a child abuse service. I mainly worked with neglected kids. One 5 year old used to be left at home minding a 3 month old sibling ALL night while mum went to work. She knew what to do with that baby but had no knowledge of basic hygiene and had never seen a book. Why these kids weren't removed was beyond me. Too difficult so I had to leave. I just wanted to take them all home.

There's being poor and there's neglect. They are not mutually inclusive.

I grew up poor. It taught me respect for money, although unfortunately I thought saving and buying and paying off a PPOR was the aim. It did give me a good start though. Just wish I realised earlier that that's not enough to retire on. But mum lives nicely on the pension in her paid off PPOR.

Maybe they ought to means test people who want to have kids. Also literacy and numeracy tests. This way, the kids have a reasonable chance to start with someone who can spell, add and can claim two cents to their name.
I noticed you've copped flak for this one, but I agree.

There are so many duds out there who are a blight on society and the whole economy, and they pump out loads of more of the same.

Good on ya for saying it, dude.

Maybe they ought to means test people who want to have kids. Also literacy and numeracy tests. This way, the kids have a reasonable chance to start with someone who can spell, add and can claim two cents to their name.

Brutal, but I somewhat agree. I don't want kids to start off with the odds stacked against them.

Barry O'Farrell recently apologised for the forcible removal of children. I think you should read some of these children and their parents stories before you pass judgement. Children taken away because someone decided they would be better off.

Being poor does not limit your ability to love your children.

I do however agree that people should be responsible for their own actions - if you have a child, you should be able to support that child.

Procreating is a significant societal responsiblity that should not be just left for anyone. Just like if you want to drive a car, you and your car need to pass certain tests and standards. Otherwise, there are adverse consequences for society at large.

Perhaps you should try telling the federal government that..... they hand out CASH to people, just for procreating. CASH!!!

We wonder why society often appears to be on the decline, apathetic and often irresponsible. Please tell me how the "baby bonus" is responsible..... it just perpetuates the problem!

We are our own worst enemies and this sense of bl**dy entitlement culture needs to be broken with a sledge hammer. :mad:

I noticed you've copped flak for this one, but I agree.

There are so many duds out there who are a blight on society and the whole economy, and they pump out loads of more of the same.

Good on ya for saying it, dude.

Maybe you can work out the test parameters for this then seeing as you strongly agree ?
Lets have the test on here, you know, like a trial.

Maybe you can work out the test parameters for this then seeing as you strongly agree ?
Lets have the test on here, you know, like a trial.
There are a decent number of qualifying criteria, and we all know what they are.

But seeing as you asked, I'll give ya three to start off. This is based on someone who hasn't already had a child, who would like to have one.

1. Under 18
2. On welfare
3. Father not known

Some children (read many) very much enjoy playing adult sports, but the trophies that accompany that sporting activity usually put a bit of a dampener on their ability to continue playing the sport.

The adults who are supposed to be supervising the children, aren't supervising them and instead are trying to be their friend...instead of their parent.

Watched a documentary on this subject the other day, where the 48 yo lady stated she just became a great-grandmother. She stated she had her child at 19, her daughter gave birth at 15 and her daughter gave birth at 14 to her newborn great grand child. Her daughter is a 29 yo grandmother.

Not a father to be seen anywhere....but someone is doing something to these children that's for sure !!!!!

this sense of bl**dy entitlement culture needs to be broken with a sledge hammer.

Agreed - unfortunately you didn't suggest which sledgehammer. There are hundreds of thousands of folks who would resist you every step of the way with this though....

I'd be interested in what sledgehammers you'd recommend ??

There are a decent number of qualifying criteria, and we all know what they are.

But seeing as you asked, I'll give ya three to start off. This is based on someone who hasn't already had a child, who would like to have one.

1. Under 18
2. On welfare
3. Father not known

These criteria could halve the birth rate in Australia - we may have to start pumping out centrelink payments to single mums in Sudan.

And what kind of traits come out of kids raised in an environment of generational poverty, fear, abuse, alcoholism, unemployment, teen pregnancy and violence, no matter the location?

They say you are a product of your environment, and kids unfortunately have no say in their environment

Here's a US story also Marcell's story: Growing up in poverty in the United States of America

Growing up in the one of the most dangerous cities in the United States of America, Marcell Jenkins, 12, never ventures more than a few blocks from his home alone.

“You have to think that your life is on the line every day,” he explains. “This kid got shot. They might have just been in the way. You could be in the crossfire and get killed because you were outside at the wrong time.”

Camden, once a thriving industrial city in the state of New Jersey, has been in decline for decades. Today it is per capita one of the poorest cities in the USA with high unemployment and crime rates.

In recent years, Camden has become a haven for drug-dealers who openly ply their trade on the streets. To make matters worse, nearly half the city’s already beleaguered police force was recently laid off due to budget cuts.

Marcell’s own life has been shaped by these problems. “My parents were in the street on drugs and they weren’t fit to be parents, so I had to come and live with my grandmother,” he says

Cont..

And an interesting quote on poverty and diet that's been discussed before

“I’m on medicine. I weigh as much as a grown man, maybe even more and I have health problems,” explains Marcell. “It’s harder to eat healthy than to eat junk, because junk is always going to be there.

He adds that one year he went on a diet at school and his grandma had to pay $100 extra than she usually did for his lunches in order for the school to buy healthier ingredients.

The kids in fact will NOT have a chance because you're denying them a start. I agree there should be some sort of training but to say only people with money and high IQ's can have children. Are you a Hitler fan?

Having a low IQ does not automatically make you a bad parent. I worked in a loiw socio economic area and worked with many low IQ parents. Yes the kids were obviously at a disadvantage but not everyone can go to Uni. There are mjany jobs that people with low intelligence and schooling can do.

One parent who had a VERY low IQ was in fact the best mother I had met. She cooked healthy food for her children, they were always impecably clean and well mannered. Another parent didn't have much of an idea as she had not been well parented. But with a little guidance she was a great mother.

I agree there should be some sort of training but to say only people with money and high IQ's can have children.
It's not about a high IQ or money.

It's about your whole approach to life.

Both my parents were poor, but had good intelligence, good values and a terrific work ethic. They were a credit to themselves and the human race.

And I've seen rich folk who are as dumb as dog-shoit and who are oxygen thieves; all they have done is make a lot of money and do nothing to benefit anyone else...people like Paris Hilton springs to mind...and what's worse; she has made no money of her own, etc.

It's about what your values are; if you think it's ok to sponge off the rest of society, to have kids because of a cash hand-out, to be a criminal, have no respect for yourself or others, then no; you don't get to add more of the same to our numbers, because you haven't bothered to make yourself into a decent human being, so how can you possibly have any hope of imparting the right life path onto any of your own kids...

It's not about a high IQ or money.

It's about your whole approach to life.

Both my parents were poor, but had good intelligence, good values and a terrific work ethic. They were a credit to themselves and the human race.

And I've seen rich folk who are as dumb as dog-shoit and who are oxygen thieves; all they have done is make a lot of money and do nothing to benefit anyone else...people like Paris Hilton springs to mind...and what's worse; she has made no money of her own, etc.

It's about what your values are; if you think it's ok to sponge off the rest of society, to have kids because of a cash hand-out, to be a criminal, have no respect for yourself or others, then no; you don't get to add more of the same to our numbers, because you haven't bothered to make yourself into a decent human being, so how can you possibly have any hope of imparting the right life path onto any of your own kids...

I understand what you are saying...but who are you to say they cant have children?

What if we were to make the criteria:

1. No one over 40 (potential cost to the health system)
2. No one who works over 38hrs a week (why have a kid if you aren't there)

Last edited:
Where's the pride?

If I was an adult who couldn't spell I'd be ashamed of myself.

yeah; you can wang on about how there are spell checkers and all that these days...

So friggin' what?

Doesn't mean that just because you can; you should (be lazy and only use spell-checkers).

It's a terrible indictment on our lazy Aus culture.

See if you can find any Asian kids at school who can't spell.

The spelling of more than a few people on this forum can be best described as atrocious.

Back