Guilderton as a place to invest? - WA

Wifey and I both like Guilderton and think it may be an ok place to raise LittleBacons in the future. (for the eastern staters... Guilderton is about 100 km North of Perth on the coast at the mouth of the Moore River)

We'd like to purchase a house on a large block and rent it out for a few years with a view to develop / subdivide etc in 3 yrs time and move there. I'm thinking as close to town, river and ocean as I can afford...

My questions

1. Where can I get good info on Guilderton real estate?We're driving up this weekend to check out the windows of real estate agencies and maybe talk to a few agents. I would like to do some homework before I talk to agent though.

2. What are the plans for roads, subdivision, infrastructure etc for the area?

3. What about surrounding coastal towns?

4. What else do I need to consider before investing in this area?

Thanks

TheBacon :D

Hi TheBacon,

1. Where can I get good info on Guilderton real estate?We're driving up this weekend to check out the windows of real estate agencies and maybe talk to a few agents. I would like to do some homework before I talk to agent though.

Call all the agencies in town and ask for a list of all of their property listings to be sent to you @ home

2. What are the plans for roads, subdivision, infrastructure etc for the area?

Call the local council and ask them about works currently in progress, those that have been approved and are scheduled to start and those that are currently under discussion

3. What about surrounding coastal towns?

What about them..what is your question?

4. What else do I need to consider before investing in this area?

Are your purchasing primarily for lifestyle or investment?

Glenn

guilderton

Hi TheBacon
I understand that everyone tells you to do your homework, but you really need to know what questions to ask. Speak to as many local residents as you can. My understanding of Guilderton would indicate that it is not likely to make you wealthy. It will have very poor capital growth and is reliant on the local industry. Consider what may happen if the local fishermen find themselves with a disease on their hands and can't fish for a year or two? Even through good times your rent will be minimal such a ong distance from Perth. Also is the fishing industry seasonal as this may affect your vacancy rates. Check with the agents in town how many rental properties are currently empty? This is usually a good indication of the rental needs. Are you buying for investment or to live in. If an investment, you could do much better elsewhere.

Back