Gutter cleaning/ gutter guard

My IP is in a very leafy area and I was weighing up the options of a bi annual gutter clean or just getting a gutter guard installed.

I have a quote for the installation of a gutter guard at $1300 (includes clean also), however, I assume I can only depreciate this item and not claim it as a full deduction.

The alternative option is to get the gutters cleaned at $1-200 (not sure on the costs) bi annually and claim the full cost as a tax write off

Which option would be wiser?

Thanks

You still pay the money, so how is it a tax 'write-off'. ;) Sorry, but it is the mantra of some tenant advocates that landlords grow rich from 'tax breaks'. All costs come of the bottom line. Enough of them and you go backwards out the door.

You are better off cleaning because the leaves and twigs take no notice of the gutter guard sellers. Are there trees any you can trim that are too close to the house to save you one clean a year?

How to get someone who can clean gutters without damaging the roof is another thing.

Gutter guard!

Hi,
in Sydney, I've had gutter guard, and for me, the decomposing leaves formed a coating on top of the gutters... and created a blockage, also
it fell off, or blew off in other places.
I took the rest of it off and now get the leaves cleared when the Jacarandas have finished blooming annually.
Not ideal.
Have had people clear the gutters for between $80 (Good Job)and $200 (Big Rip Off)
I hope this helps
Seaford Sunshine

Get your gutters cleaned far better option.

Also think of it as a positive, its another way to have someone visit the property to make sure everything is ok, keeps the tenants in line..

Another no to gutter guards.

They're absolutely horrible IMO and you end up paying to have them installed, then removed and everything cleaned.

Ditto to the no gutter guard option. I just had my gutters vac-cleaned and asked the guy if it was worth getting gutter guard. He emphatically said that seeds and small stuff still gets in and you end up having to remove it and clean the gutters anyway.

I cleaned the gutter myself

1. $2 dustpan scoop
2. Plastic bag.

Scooped up all the old leaves. Hosed it down made sure it was clean.

The for the gutter guard, i picked up some plastic roll (specifically for gutters). $10 for 8 meters or so. Took about 10 mins to install the 8 meters then repeated for the next section. (cutting up into smaller pieces does make it easier).

Back