hairline cracks in tiles

W

WebBoard

Hi,

I would like to know if anyone out there can guide me on this. In our townhouse there are various hairline cracks in bathroom, kitchen, laundry tiles(vertical). Will it cause problem (may be apart from falling down). building is approx 4 year old. Do i need to do any fixes now.

thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Hi Sly Dog,

thanks for the reply.

Cracks are on the side walls and not on floor tiles.

Q. what is under the tiles? villa board, brick, AAC block, plasterboard. If the walls are framed is it with timber or steel?

Behind the tiles where crack has occurred are bricks. where there is plaster board so far there is no crack.

Q. How big are the cracks?

some cracks are hairline and there are visible only when we pour water on tiles.some cracks are visible to naked eye.

Q. Are the wet areas on the ground floor only or is there an upper floor wet area? Are both areas cracking?

wet areas are there on both floors but the tiles are not cracked on the floor or on shower recess.

Reply: 1.1

Hi Sly Dog,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the house is the one we are living in so no deduction. i don't think i can get anything from the builder unless i give him proof. before i purchased the townhouse(2.5 years ago) i got building inspection done.if i get one done now will the builder agree to pay or do i have to go through long procedure.if it is only a cosmetic then may be i will defer for sometime and see. any input would be appreciated.
i am planning to attend tomorrow's meeting at sydney. if you are from sydney and planning to come i would like to have a chat(if it is ok for you)
thanks

Reply: 1.1.1

GV,

If it is that bad as you think it is, maybe you can rent that place out, find your self another house to live in and renovate the old (first one) and claim all deductions.

Serge.

Reply: 1.1.1.1

Well... technically Serge, this would not be an allowable deduction as the problem was existing before the property was available for rent and was not as a result of producing assessable income.

An example is covered on page 9 of the ATO publication "Rental Properties 2000-01"... look for the example featuring the Johnsons.

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 1.1.1.1.1

Hi

Perhaps, but, if the repair was done 6 to 12 months down the track, who would know when the damage was originally done .. ..

Just a thought.

Dale

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1

Yes, It is bit much of muchness.
Do you want to move out to repair the tiles or do you want to move out to renovate the whole house?

Serge.

Back