Halloween

Well, our neighborhood here in the US is safe & a "hot spot" for Trick or Treating every year.

Mini-Indi arrives home with so much chocolate/candy that we decided to weigh it...... 6.5 LB.... yep 3 Kg's!!! OMG, that is an obscene amount.... or so I thought until Mini-Indi gets back from school today with tales of 10 LB hauls.....:eek:

Halloween is definitely well celebrated in the US and the effort some go to in order to decorate is amazing.

Now I better start preparing for Thanksgiving and order that Turducken! :D

Halloween: The Australian tradition of closing all your blinds at 4 in the afternoon, and ignoring the 3 children in your suburb who watch enough American television to think it exists here.

Halloween: The Australian tradition of closing all your blinds at 4 in the afternoon, and ignoring the 3 children in your suburb who watch enough American television to think it exists here.

tell that to the parents and kids at the party at the park, over 250 people.

our neighbourhood was chockers with kids.

show me one aussie tradition. just one. then ask why we adopt others, american or not.

Halloween in Bali

Im in Bali at the moment on holiday. They had a lot of clubs and pubs celebrating it here.
I met my partner 3 years ago on halloween and I proposed on Halloween night on the beach here. Spooky!

Works well in my area. If you want to be involved, put up a decoration. If you don't, then they don't bother you.

To the Grinch's that "believe" Halloween is a tradition originating in the US.... it is not.

Halloween is a Scottish word variant of All-Hallows'-Even..... the day before All Hallows Day or otherwise known as All Saints Day which is a Christian festivity dating back to the 16th century (~mid 1500's).

Furthermore, this Christian celebration is derived from the Celtic New Year Celebration which was observed on 1 Nov not the now observed 1 Jan. This tradition is thousands of years old.... the US was not even discovered by the Western world at this point in time.

Hence, Halloween does NOT have its origins in the US. Yes the US observe this occasion with fervency, but to say it is a US tradition with the implied meaning that it originated in the US is nothing short of wrong. I hope this helps debunk some of the myths and misconceptions. ;)

To the Grinch's that "believe" Halloween is a tradition originating in the US.... it is not.

Halloween is a Scottish word variant of All-Hallows'-Even..... the day before All Hallows Day or otherwise known as All Saints Day which is a Christian festivity dating back to the 16th century (~mid 1500's).

Furthermore, this Christian celebration is derived from the Celtic New Year Celebration which was observed on 1 Nov not the now observed 1 Jan. This tradition is thousands of years old.... the US was not even discovered by the Western world at this point in time.

Hence, Halloween does NOT have its origins in the US. Yes the US observe this occasion with fervency, but to say it is a US tradition with the implied meaning that it originated in the US is nothing short of wrong. I hope this helps debunk some of the myths and misconceptions. ;)

cool! so we should celebrate it here because it's a colonist tradition.

and to further my comment about "aussie traditions" - we do have one that originated here - carols by candle light. started in the 1860-1880 period and was properly adopted in 1938.

so that's 1....

Mini-Indi arrives home with so much chocolate/candy that we decided to weigh it...... 6.5 LB.... yep 3 Kg's!!! OMG, that is an obscene amount.... or so I thought until Mini-Indi gets back from school today with tales of 10 LB hauls.....:eek:
That's why there's so many fat people in america .. here's a few pics i took on halloween in hong kong

Superstars arrive
IMG_6400_1024x683_640x427.jpg

Catwoman
IMG_6396_1024x683_640x427.jpg

Crowds line up to get into Lan Kwai Fong, a bar district in Central
IMG_6419_1024x683_640x427.jpg

IMG_6423_1024x683_640x427.jpg

Local kids were around the neighbourhood. But we're mostly immune. Our house is on a battleaxe block at the top of a long steep driveway. Not many halloweenies or religion converters can be bothered.

The Mexicans celebrate their Day of the Dead, following Halloween, with a passion. It's a very colourful event, with all sorts of decorations and offerings.

My daughter arranged her stay in Mexico especially to finish after the event- it was too good a party time to miss.

I spent a week in Oaxaca once during halloween and the day of the dead, a great experience even though i had to help a guy carry his dead mate under a tree so he could have a rest.

Interesting. Was he dead when the day started? Was the stress too much for him, or had he been brought out for the day?

He looked like he only died a few hrs before as he had foam coming out of his mouth and his friend was sitting next to him crying. The guy only looked about 40yo so not sure the cause of death, no hablo espanol so didn't get details. He was sitting with him on the footpath and gestured if i could help move him to a nearby park.

Come on folks ... surely you realise that it is just the retail gap between father's day and Christmas ... The moment father's day is done the halloween stuff comes out and now the Chrissy decorations are rising fast.

Come on folks ... surely you realise that it is just the retail gap between father's day and Christmas ... The moment father's day is done the halloween stuff comes out and now the Chrissy decorations are rising fast.

it's better than those "Father's Day" catalogues, advertising "Singing Santa" for a father's day present "just in time for christmas".....

You're suggesting retailers made it up

:confused::p

Suppose we'll all have to go buy chocolates for the trick or treaters as it seems its on the move.

Like @#$%!!! I've got a bucket of rocks inside the front door to chuck at anyone who even thinks about knocking!!

***The rocks are normally there for the FN Mormons!!

Ian.

Holy Halloween Batman!!!...........just checked out Catwoman again.

Mee-OWWWWWWW Baby!!

.....ahmmm, sorry Shuggy, just got a bit caught up in the moment there.

Right, ok.....next thread.......yes, next thread......of course.

Back