Hammerhead Development or just sell the land?

We currently rent my wife's grandmothers 3 bdr place in Richmond SA. We she eventually passes we have been told we could continue to rent the place indefinitely or purchase it and market value with a potentially small family discount. I'd value the property at around $400K.

The popular trend in Richmond at the moment is to do a hammerhead development and build a house in your backyard. As the blocks here are generally quite large and generally very deep.

The house we live in is situated close to the front of the block, and subject to the demolishment of a few sheds, a shade house and pulling up some concrete pavers ample room at the back for a 3 bdr house. (I have no idea how big the block actually is, but doing a few google map estimate's and real estate searches I'd say the total block is 750 sqm +/-). The back block could be 300 - 350 sqm). The block is flat no significant trees and there is easy access to the back of the block.

I had a chat to a builder client of mine and he said that it would potentially cost $220K - $250K to build an appropriate house. Looking at surrounding sales in a good market I may achieve a sale price of 400K - 425K for this sort of property.

So in a perfect world the profit for such an exercise would be maybe $150K less landscaping, less a new fence, less CGT, less funding costs, less other misc costs.

My question is for this sort of profit is it easier just to (prepare and then) sell the land, rather than go through the hassle of developing the property?

I'd say I could easily sell the land for $150K+. closer to $180K - $200K mark

And for those that have done this recently what was your net profit once it was done and dusted?

and before everyone starts throwing out other suggestions, i don't want to:

-Retain both properties
-Retain and use the equity to buy other properties
-Move into the newer property and sell the existing house (although that would be my wife's preference).

I would rather $150K in my pocket,l have a wealth creation plan in place already and I don't need any more additional geared investments. Cheers!

I would be calling the council to find what the minimum land size required for hammerhead/battle-axe you will find they can be a little bit higher then a usual block.

Watch your development/subdivision cost.
I'm sure they will be a lot cheaper/easier than in Victoria but to subside in Knox council, Victoria which is the nanniest council in the nanny state by the time you cost factor, drafting, surveyors,council, contributions, assets, driveway, drainage, power, sewer etc it sometimes amounts to 80-100k which is enough to knock the shine off a development.
I'm sure SA is better than vic but just saying get all the cost first.

Im one to shy away from family situations. Your situation if there are other parties that agree to sell it to you discounted or not and then you develop/reno/sell/rent or in anyway make a financial gain (which I'm sure is the goal) could be a case of sour grapes...

Good luck. Keep us posted with developments.

I would rather $150K in my pocket,l have a wealth creation plan in place already and I don't need any more additional geared investments. Cheers!

You just answered your own question!!I have done a few of these,and you WILL make more money building on it than just a land sale,Hammerheaads DO NOT appeal to everyone,its really only a limited sale market,although Richmond is a really good area,There is a lot of to and fro with any council with this sort of land division.My advise would be get a costing from a surveyor(this costs nothing),do your figures and then make your decision.PS Never,Ever mix family with any business deals........EVER.

Your target market expands exponentially when you build, (ie. instead of potential developer, builder, your target market is now someone who wants a new home).

However you are then assuming the risks associated with the new build.

I agree with jim1964, first thing to do is to show the title to a SURVEYOR!

I've got a friend that has been trying to do a hammerhead on Marion Rd in Richmond for about 3 years, be prepared for many headaches, but a good surveyor will guide you through the whole process.

Back