Happy Australia Day

I wonder will our governments ever have the guts to stand up to big retail business and say " Aussie Day" is like Good Friday, Christmas etc..........SHUT IT !!

People only have a set amount to spend, if they don't spend it today they will spend it on the weekend.

I vote for a republic and a REAL Aussie day , (but not on 26th January because the Poms really did invade Australia.)

And a happy Australia Day from Google

australia_day06.gif

Apparently only random countries each year get the honour.

Why is everyone saying Happy Australia Day?
I thought we only said that for New year and maybe christmas?
so what about happy easter?
or happy Anzac day?
I sometimes think we go too far? (IMO)

obiwan said:
or happy Anzac day?
Merry Anzac Day

Blessed Queen's Birthday

Happy day after tomorrow

But don't forget that AlmostBob, who started the thread, is an Aussie living in Canada- so is probably nostalgic for Australia. Especially considering the cold and snow he's putting up with right now

geoffw said:
And a happy Australia Day from Google

australia_day06.gif

Apparently only random countries each year get the honour.
It may not be totally random. This only appears on google.com.au - plain ol' Google is unchanged.

obiwan said:
or happy Anzac day?

OH Buggar .....What a load of Crap :eek:
in our mob we do say Happy Easter :)
So Happy Australia Day :D
and chuck another lamb chop on th barbie :D

CHEERS yadreamin

Well I have just spent a very pleasant evening down at Pyrmont Point Park listening to jazz on the water. The boats sailed past all highly decorated, Glenn Shorrock sang, the fireworks went off and we had the beautiful Sydney Harbour Bridge in front of us. And it was all free.

There were all ages, lots of families and all nationalities.We all looked at each other and said how lucky are we. So it was a very happy Australia Day celebrated by thousands and personally I think it is great that people do feel that pride and say "Happy Australia Day" to total strangers:)

yadreamin said:
OH Buggar .....What a load of Crap :eek:
in our mob we do say Happy Easter :)
So Happy Australia Day :D
and chuck another lamb chop on th barbie :D

CHEERS yadreamin

Here, here!
Happy Australia Day!!
From the Best Country in the World!!!
(you know it makes sense).

:cool:

Nostalgia, nostalgia was always better when I was young.

anyhow, I spent about 15 Australia days on catafalques & honor guards around Aus and at Australian Outposts in other countries.
It is a big deal, a really big deal, there are very few countries in the world that can celebrate their independence and existence, without reminding themselves of the things they did to get it.

Bastille day, celebrates chopping the heads off everybody who happened to be born in the wrong families, named after the place they died
American Indepence day, a war, the murder of thousands of virginians who didnt want to secede, and the invasion of Canada.

Australia Day celebrates that nobody died to make Aus a country, a vote, agreement, royal assent, and its a bloody good excuse to have a few drinks

US invades, not real nice, nobody happy.
Aus invaded Timor, removed Indonesia, Timorese are very happy about it and establish themselves as the newest country in the UN

Everybody should celebrate being Australian, knowing an Australian, living in Australia, even having the chance to be an Australian if they arent one now.

Two places in the world worth living, and I live in both of em

My 2c :)

I have lived in Canada for 3 years and have travelled everywhere for conferences. This is the best country in the world! :D

I love it so much, I even bought another little ozzie into the world on Australia day 2 years ago. (although it was more her choice than mine!).

and I'm now looking at the mess outside from having 40 people over for a BBQ last night just for an Australia day/2nd Birthday celebration :eek:

Life should be celebrated no matter what reason!

Back