Harvard Securities

Hi All,

Just starting out on this daunting journey....

Has anyone ever had any dealings with a company called Harvard Securities located in Mont Albert. I would be interested in your opinions please.

Cheers
Watto

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Hi Watto,

I dont know about Harvard Securities, I just wanted to say, that the road gets a whole lot easier over time, hang in there, try reading as many of the archives as possible, there is a whole world of information there.

Good Luck
TW
~Life is a daring adventure, or nothing at all~

Reply: 1.1

And don't forget to try the "Search" function, too. It's a bit like using the Index of the Yellow Pages ......

Regards,

Les

- "Eschew Obfuscation" - ;^)

Reply: 1.1.1

When I first began looking into PI I went to a seminar they were running and then had one of their representatives come to my house. Sounded great what they were telling me so I went to see them at their office to see some properties they had. Spent a good couple of hours with me and the figures "looked" excellent. Problem was the suburb that they were telling me was so great, was an outer suburb that had never heard of the words "capital gains".

Harvard produced a beautiful report which I later showed to some more experienced IP investors than myself who had trouble understanding it and told me to stay away.

Reply: 1.1.1.1

Thanks for the input guys.

I hope it gets easier. Its very hard to sort the chaff from the wheat at the moment...

cheers
Watto

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1

When we started renting our current 3br townhouse, it was managed by Harvard Securities.

They were hopeless. Very unresponsive.

That's from a tenants point of view...

Adam

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone else provide more feedback on Harvard Securities?

I attended their Property Seminar 3 weeks ago and only yesterday met up with one of their representatives who is a Portfolio Manager.
They did suggest buying off the plan properties that they acquire from developers.
I made it very clear that I was not interested in their properties. I want to find and choose my own.
What I was interested in was some of the other services they provide, eg:
Property Management (even though they charge 10% which is higher from the average 6%)
and Portfolio structuring (which I will use until I fully understand how to do it myself).

Feedback appreciated.

Mannie.

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1

G'day Mannie

Mate my alarm bells are going off here. There is enough info in the other people's postings on this topic that says...'stay away' no matter what is being touted or offered.

You have no need to go rushing into any investment, especially property! There is bucket loads of info in the current forum and all the 'archived' forum. Signing up in any way, shape, or form with these development type groups IS NOT THE WAY TO LEARN!!!...unless you want to do your dough.

You are off to a positive and fortunate start by simply having come in here and asked the question...well done! The people have responded with good intention....heed the warnings Mannie!! Too often someone comes in here seeking information on how best to handle their situation whereby they have been screwed by not having done any research before buying their dud investment property.

Mate there is no need to rush....try and divorce yourself of the B.S hype on Money and Investment Property type programmes and Hot Auction dribble on tv. You can still buy a great IP by doing some basic ground work in your preferred suburban, or whatever, area. Forget about the hyperbole of 'Property Boom' and 'Property Collapse'. My immediate suggestion would be to simply get along to any of the meeting groups that have since come to being from this forum site...such as Freestylers, Cash Flow Meetings and so on...you'll find states and dates in the section called 'Meeting Point'. If it costs you a few bucks to join, GREAT! It means you are going to get to access real information to help you purchase something which will confirm that membership fee as money very well spent!

The best thing here for you at this point Mannie is that there are plenty of people who are experienced in IP and are very willing to share thoughts and ideas with all of us...i'm no expert but I am a hell of a lot wiser from this forum and three years of regular reading (and sometimes posting) of it.

Property is not a get rich quick toy! Make sure you know what you are doing!!

All the best,
Ian

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1

Thank You Ian,

Do you happen to know anybody who could help me with structuring my next investment as in a Financial Advisor who is experienced in Property?
It would have to be in Melbourne.

Thanks,
Mannie.

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.2

Also, if you are looking for tips and strategies for building a successful long term buy-and-hold portfolio, you don't really need to look any further than Jan Somers' books.

I haven't read her new one yet, but if it's even half as good as the last ones it should be excellent.

Don't overlook her simple plans and advice.

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.2.1

G'day again Mannie...Hey there Sim...Oh Sultan of Col Light Gdns ;>)

Sorry Mannie i'm unable to help with specifics on whom to recommend, however if you conduct a search on this the existing forum you may be able to pull a few names.

Simply hit the search button up the top of the page and type in any 'key' words such as 'Financial advisor in Melbourne' or whatever.Hopefully you'll be able to glean what you need.

If you don't have any luck perhaps try posting a new query to the forum asking for the info you are after ie: 'Financial advisor in Melbourne..help please' etc.

Cheers Ian
PS..Sim...have you picked anything up (properties!!!) in Adelaide recently? Or are you waiting for a more opportune time to hop in again?

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.2.1.2

Hi Ian,

Haven't bought anything in the last couple of months. Still looking though. Have made some offers at prices where the numbers work for me. Unfortunately it seems that everyone else is working by a different set of numbers and is willing to pay a lot more than I am. *sigh*.

Oh well... ever onward.

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.2.2

Hi Sim,

I have already read one of Jan's books and am currently reading her latest.
I believe in the way she has gone about building wealth and I will be following her.
Only problem is finding a good advisor.

Thanks,
Mannie.

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.2.2.1

Hi Mannie,
In chapter 4 of Jan's new book, More Wealth from Residential Property, the role of financial advisors is covered. "...most financial advisors are not trained in the area of property investment. The Diploma of Financial Planning (DFP) tertiary level course provided by the Financial Planning Association (FPA) for advisors wishing to attain the highest level, titled Certified Financial Planner, does not include the study of investment in property."
Jan suggests seeking advice from financiers/ mortgage brokers, real estate agents and other property investors (at this site!!!)
Why not invite some of the banks and smaller lenders to advise you in your own home! Mortgage brokers are also an invaluable source of information as they teach and learn from property investors daily.
Before purchasing my first IP, whenever I needed financial advice, help or reassurance, I would visit this forum and my very own "financial advisors" would answer my questions.
Thanks to all the forum members (financial advisors) who have helped and are helping me to become a successful property investor!
Good Luck Mannie,
Crystal

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.2.2.1.1

Hi Watto and others,

If anyone is still interested, given this string in the forum has been idle for 7 months, I visited Harvard Securities last Wednesday, to attend a job interview(I've been out of work almost that long but not looking the whole time). Well they certainly spent someone's money on their offices as they look like something out of a future Star Wars film.

My brief was to sell new developments via a set in house presentation (had to be mostly at night so that both 'decision makers' are likely to be home. Those of you familiar with US author Tom Hopkins would know that his style of sales pitch is like showing a blank poster then slowly showing partially filled posters with gee whiz facts and figures until unsuspecting buyers hopefully say 'where do I sign?' and the salesperson avoiding mention of cost until the end.

I really wanted to be a portfolio manager of IPs so that I could advise when they could perhaps expand their portfolio without being constrained by pushing them to new properties. I had to decline the job, I'm more of a marketer than a direct salesman (I've dealt in impex trade finance in banking sector, I don't go door-to-door to clients touting business, and follow word of mouth leads, and dealing with corporations is far different to relatively novice property investors).

There are dangers aplenty with not only buying such an IP (probably overpriced) but in blindly accepting the tenancy guarantees Harvard offers (from their 9.8% management fee c/f normal Victorian RE agent's 7.0%)although I haven't studied the 'guarantee' I just relied on my interviewer.

Further note-if anyone has heard of Latrobe Property Research they are with Harvard(now) one and the same. Apparently they have pulled out of the seminar business citing that they don't want to be associated with the 'dodgy' seminars going around.

Be vigilant

cheers from Stevo The Devo

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.2.2.1.1.1

Steven,

I'm sure 'Property Investigator' will love your post.

:)

Back