Has Adelaide peaked?

Adelaide has had some pretty decent gains in the last few years. I notice that the auction clearance rates are consistently below 50% nowadays and I'm not even finding decent 5%+ yields (on houses) unless you go out to those suburbs with the firebombed houses / boarded up windows.

What's everyone's thoughts on where Adelaide is at? Are these signs of an upcoming quiet period ala Sydney 2004-2008?

Bought some in the so called crap holes of Adelaide and have had a 15% per annum gain......

Adelaide is a real sleeper....very understated but property just seems to steadily go up if not in a spectacular fashion.;)

I guess people finally realised that Adelaide is a crap hole where no one wants to live

If you don't want to live here then we won't complain. Why do people think it is ok to say offensive stuff like that when they know people on the forum live there.

Is Aazer one of those folks of the anti-Werribee threads fame?

Adelaide has a lower overall income than, say, Sydney and I'd wager it has far less people on the really high brackets. That would have to keep a lid on the high end prices at least. There seems to be a lot more Government work in Adelaide in the tech sector at least than private enterprise, with the salary caps to match.

And there's people living in every crap hole across the country. You'd hope they actually want to live there, or they would have moved somewhere nicer and left these crap holes to the tumbleweeds. Not everyone wants to live in exactly the same place, living the same lifestyle - the world would be a really boring place if we did. And Sash and I would have no tenants :D

Adelaide never seems to have consitantly high clearance rates anyway. Rental demand seems really high at the moment so that should keep upwards pressure on house prices.

Mid to high quality housing in Adelaide has never had 5% yield. Does it in any other capital city? If you want that yield then you need to be in the market for units of those outer suburbs.

Gools

Mid to high quality housing in Adelaide has never had 5% yield. Does it in any other capital city? If you want that yield then you need to be in the market for units of those outer suburbs.

You're right that 5% yields do not really exist in mid-high quality housing in the capitals (without dual occupancy). But in terms of 5% yields, I'm talking more the lower end stuff but I'd prefer to be one step up from those areas with the firebomed houses / boarded up windows. I currently get 5.5% gross on a house in western Sydney 5 mins walk from the rail line. Hoping to find something similar or with a slightly lower yield in Adelaide. Do these places exist?

They sure do exist. It's not that hard to open realestate.com.au and find them from where you are. They can even be found with development potential! They're not at Glenelg or Wayville either. They are higher end suburbs. You need to look at mid to lower end suburbs (mid to low, not low). I'm thinking of the areas that have houses for low $300k and rent for over $300/week.

Gools.

And there's people living in every crap hole across the country. You'd hope they actually want to live there, or they would have moved somewhere nicer and left these crap holes to the tumbleweeds. Not everyone wants to live in exactly the same place, living the same lifestyle - the world would be a really boring place if we did. And Sash and I would have no tenants :D

Yeah I'm sure they love to live there - kinda explains why people choose to migrate to Melbourne/Sydney (and even Perth) but not Adelaide?

LOL just because you can find a tenant in your Western suburb property doesn't mean that people WANT to live there - it's more to do with a financial decision rather than a lifestyle choice. Unless you're talking about people who like getting stabbed on their way to work?

Wow Aazar, it must be tough being so negative. Guess that grey Melbourne weather keeps getting you down. Not one thing you said in your last post was correct so that makes you grumpy and wrong!!

LOL just because you can find a tenant in your Western suburb property doesn't mean that people WANT to live there - it's more to do with a financial decision rather than a lifestyle choice. Unless you're talking about people who like getting stabbed on their way to work?

I thought you were Adelaide bashing? Are you Western Sydney bashing now as well?

Well if you want to stay in Adelaide then that is your prerogative. I'll give you a shovel so you can dig yourself out of the hole

not Western Sydney --> Western Melbourne

Compared to beautiful Adelaide, Melbourne and some of it's surounding suburbs is a toxic waste dump, with a climate that would make you think the end of the world is near.

A little while ago, a couple of dolphins were spotted having a little swim through the yarra, which made front page news since it's so unbelievable that a dolphin would ever be seen swiming in the sludge of Melbourne's Yarra - they GTFO of there ASAP, and they ARE NOT COMING BACK, EVER. There were many photos of the dolphins jumping - they were jumping not because they were happy, but to stay out of the disgusting water as much as possible. Same goes for much of Melbourne's beaches, most of it stinks, and is filthy. Someone here on somersoft was claiming that Altona beach has been cleaned up and is nice now! :eek: Whatever, I drove past recently, and it's not as bad as it used to be since I didn't feel like instantly throwing up, but it's still a slimy and rotten smelling corner of the world.

We've got to go out about ~20 km east, or about ~60+kms west before things start to look as nice as Adelaide.

Adelaide is less developed/less spoiled - which i think means it has alot more potential/room to grow, but i'm no expert, the 40+c heat here in Melbourne the last couple of days might have got to me? It's about to get cold now and start raining aswell - typical conditions for this annoying part of our country.

What did you expect from the Western suburbs? Green pastures and spotless white beaches? I don't think anyone is going to argue with you about that

If you don't like Melbourne you are welcome to move to Adelaide. There you can enjoy playing with the dolphins on Kangaroo Island. Victoria will thank you

Same goes for much of Melbourne's beaches, most of it stinks, and is filthy.
Pah, beaches. You people need to move further inland. We have ... er ... hills and stuff here. And sheep. And wind turbines. And .. well, not a lot, but certainly lots of retirees escaping the city for greener pastures and a simpler life :cool:

The best bit though? Virtually zero crime here. I've even had people knock and ask nicely before taking scrap metal and broken wood from what is clearly a large pile of renovation rubbish on the vacant block next door. And then one of them got guilty and offered to take the rest to the dump for me!

It's very sad

If you don't want to live here then we won't complain. Why do people think it is ok to say offensive stuff like that when they know people on the forum live there.

Unfortunately Pushka our society does still have its fair share of people who hide behind the anonymity of a forum page to say things they would not be brave enough to say to someone's face. Very sad...:eek:

Back