Has anybody ever installed Bunnings acrylic splashbacks?

I'm doing a cheap kitchen. I was going to go with a glass splashback, but somebody suggested acrylic. I know Bunnings sell it by the sheet. Has anybody tried it?

Scott

I looked into it but I don't think it was worth it. Hard to beat tiles IMO in terms of durability and none of the other solutions are cheaper.

I recently had a tiler do one for more on an IP, paid him $180 for the labour and materials, I supplied the tiles - 100x300 glossy things. Total for 3.5m2 including everything about $280

I like idea of having a surface with minimal joins. It's a flat where the kitchen is part of the living area and I'm trying to make it less kitchen like - if that makes sense.

If you decide to go with a panel make sure you get it cut to size by them. Cutting it on site is going to look like a$$.

They look good however, it will scratch easily so I would not use it in my home. However, if you intend to renovate and sell then it will look good.

They look good however, it will scratch easily so I would not use it in my home. However, if you intend to renovate and sell then it will look good.

Who runs knives over their splashback?

Do it depreciator. I haven't used it but I've checked it out and it's really good bang for buck! They don't do lime green but there is a good fluoro blue.

Like any acrylic you should be able to sand the edges to get a smooth finish I imagine.

I'm doing a cheap kitchen. I was going to go with a glass splashback, but somebody suggested acrylic. I know Bunnings sell it by the sheet. Has anybody tried it?

Scott

Acrylic sheet is over $250 a piece, it's very expensive. Also as others have said, it cannot be used behind gas cookers (not sure about electric cookers either, better check) so you'll be putting in either tiles or stainless steel splash back behind the burners which is ~$150 for 600 mm wide from Bunnings.

Tiles are good value for money in comparison even if you get a trade to install them.

If you want less joins then get 600x300 or 600x400 tiles, there are even bigger sizes too. Only a couple needed to do a whole kitchen.

Acrylic sheet is over $250 a piece, it's very expensive. Also as others have said, it cannot be used behind gas cookers (not sure about electric cookers either, better check) so you'll be putting in either tiles or stainless steel splash back behind the burners which is ~$150 for 600 mm wide from Bunnings.

Tiles are good value for money in comparison even if you get a trade to install them.

If you want less joins then get 600x300 or 600x400 tiles, there are even bigger sizes too. Only a couple needed to do a whole kitchen.

Was looking at these the other day and thought to expensive.
I think it had to be set back 200mm for gas and 100mm ?? for electric cooktop
so was no good to me and I doubt many would be able to use it as 200mm is
a lot out of a bench top before you get to the cooktop itself , even 100 mm is a lot.
It does say edges can be sanded.

Who runs knives over their splashback?

Do it depreciator. I haven't used it but I've checked it out and it's really good bang for buck! They don't do lime green but there is a good fluoro blue.

Like any acrylic you should be able to sand the edges to get a smooth finish I imagine.

Feedback from people that have used similar product indicates you get swirl marks from cleaning the splashback and starts to look very ordinary after a while

They look good. Just be sure to use the correct adhesive. I know someone that used silicon to install and the thing fell off

BTW if you are looking for cheap then there is nothing wrong with paint. In fact chalkboard paint would be rather cool.

About 12 yrs ago we painted our splashback area with Dulux 101 in a deep red to see if we liked the colour before getting a glass splashback made. Guess what is still there and going strong :rolleyes:

BTW if you are looking for cheap then there is nothing wrong with paint. In fact chalkboard paint would be rather cool.

I just painted our pantry door in blackboard paint - I love it. It's a great way to add some personality and fun into the kitchen.

But on topic of splash back, if I was looking for a cheap but seamless look I'd be going for laminex. So many options, with no greasy grout :)

Scott

Hi Scott,

We used it on three apartments we renovated in Brisbane - they have been in a year now and there has not been any issues. The carpenter / handyman cut and installed them on site.

We had some stainless steel splashbacks cut to size and stuck on for behind the stove - just to be safe. This was also done by the handyman.

Definitely proved to be an economical solution.

I would be concerned with scratching, especially if someone other than yourself was trying to clean splashed food off it - in case they don't engage brain first. I suspect even a nylon scourer would scratch, or one that accidentally picked up some grit from somewhere such as after cleaning dirty potatoes in the sink. If selling house when it is not going to be used first and remains in sparkling condition and looks like glass - yes.

As suggested above, 300 x 600 gloss tiles will often cover full height of splashback with only a 1.5mm joint between tiles. Ardex makes a big range of grout colours and matching silicon sealants to hide most joins, much bigger range than Davco etc as sold in Bunnies. Most tile shops would carry Ardex. I was pleasantly surprised how close their sealant was to the same colour grout.

Back