Has anyone experienced this kind of tenant?

I don't know whether this is funny or not, but it makes for a good story. I have a tenant. I figured out early on in the tenancy she was into drugs or a drug addict. I don't mind what people do in their spare time as long as they maintain the place and pay the rent.

There have been a couple of times when a handyman has needed to attend the property. One was organised through the re agent. Whilst he was there the tenant walked around with only her underpants on and she was very erratic. That tradesman won't go back to the ppty. Another tradesman from the body corporate knocked on her door at an appointed time and she answered wearing only a see-through negligee and nothing on underneath.

What is she thinking? It's not as though these people turned up unannounced; they had appointments The tradesmen don't want to go back, and I don't blame them. It must be a very uncomfortable experience for them. Has anyone had a tenant similar to this?

Haven't experienced that but maybe she's lonely, looking for a closer look at tradie's skill set :) or perhaps even short of a few dollars. Who knows? a bit delicate but maybe RE can tell her to cover up when tradies are over. Nice the guys are so honest about it, or maybe she's just scaring them.

It is appropriate to write a letter to the tenant advising her of the expectation to be appropriately dressed when salespeople attend attend to undertake work - you can cite Industrial Relations legislation for workers to have a safe workplace

Another safeguard is for the PM to attend with the salesperson on site as a safeguard ie witness should the tenant make any allegation This will also reduce the anxiety for the salesperson.

Some initial thought starters for a conversation...

It must be a very uncomfortable experience for them. Has anyone had a tenant similar to this?
Sure have! He just moved out :(

Always paid his rent on time but could be a bit of a PITA. He didn't like the clothesline so I arranged to install a new one for him. I turned up and he was definitely home... music blaring, front door open and car in the drive. I banged on the front door, back door, window etc. Called, emailed and banged again. Also yelled into the house. I finally roused him and he emerged very bleary eyed. Apparently he was "tired" and had "fallen asleep" and it was a coincidence the house smelled like dope :cool:

I don't know whether this is funny or not, but it makes for a good story. I have a tenant. I figured out early on in the tenancy she was into drugs or a drug addict. I don't mind what people do in their spare time as long as they maintain the place and pay the rent.

There have been a couple of times when a handyman has needed to attend the property. One was organised through the re agent. Whilst he was there the tenant walked around with only her underpants on and she was very erratic. That tradesman won't go back to the ppty. Another tradesman from the body corporate knocked on her door at an appointed time and she answered wearing only a see-through negligee and nothing on underneath.

What is she thinking? It's not as though these people turned up unannounced; they had appointments The tradesmen don't want to go back, and I don't blame them. It must be a very uncomfortable experience for them. Has anyone had a tenant similar to this?

Did not happen to me, however a friend had similar scenario also turned out she was a hooker, may be her fee scared the tradies:eek: Seriously, this did happen.

BTW is she paying her rent on time?? that's important

If I was there I wouldn't enter either unless I had a PM/Body Corp member as a witness. Situations like that get out of hand sometimes and no tradie wants a drugged up chick making allegations to police etc

PG - I would not send tradies in there - there could be all kinds of allegations against them later. Ensure there is another person there as a witness.

I've had people sitting in their underwear during routine inspections too.
There are all sorts of psychological reasons why people produce these behaviours but the bottom line is - don't put yourself at their effect.

PG - I would not send tradies in there - there could be all kinds of allegations against them later. Ensure there is another person there as a witness.

There are all sorts of psychological reasons why people produce these behaviours but the bottom line is - don't put yourself at their effect.

What do you do then, return another time? Or continue and avoid eye contact?

my thoughts too.

PG,
Get rid of the tenant asap

I think she was advertising her services, addicts usually need money.

Only solution would be for PM to attend with the trades.

I think she was advertising her services, addicts usually need money.

Only solution would be for PM to attend with the trades.

I did mention that a friend had similar scenario and is exactly what she was doing. He got her out as quick as he could.

Did not happen to me, however a friend had similar scenario also turned out she was a hooker, may be her fee scared the tradies:eek: Seriously, this did happen.

BTW is she paying her rent on time?? that's important

Hi Mtr, No, she's not paying her rent on time. I was self-managing until I couldn't handle her any more. I gave it to a real estate agent, who is handling her very well--much better than I could.

I too wonder whether she is 'hookering'. Why else do you walk around naked in front of strange men?

If I was there I wouldn't enter either unless I had a PM/Body Corp member as a witness. Situations like that get out of hand sometimes and no tradie wants a drugged up chick making allegations to police etc

Westminster, both real estate agent and body corporate have told me separately that tradesmen don't want to go there. Yes, my concern is that something can get out of hand and that she can make an allegation. Nothing is beyond this woman.

Hi Xenia, Yes, the re agent is aware and is sending her a letter saying she needs to be appropriately dressed. I would like her out and we are working on it.

Westminster, both real estate agent and body corporate have told me separately that tradesmen don't want to go there. Yes, my concern is that something can get out of hand and that she can make an allegation. Nothing is beyond this woman.

Maybe she was hoping to get paid in kind, by the Tradie, get a receipt from him, then claim the money from the Agent.

Before she moved in, this tenant was the epitome of charm. She could get up in the morning; she was lucid; she was articulate & chatty. There is nothing wrong with her-she is able-bodied & of sound mind (when she chooses to be). As soon as she moved in, she became another person. She doesn't get out of bed until the afternoon. She doesn't work and gets some kind of government assistance (even though she told me before she moved in she had her own business). It proves to me that she can be normal when she chooses to be. How can she be on government assistance when she can work? end rant.

Back